My parents make too much money

<p>So I'm filling out my school's scholarship form and they want to know my parents adjusted gross income. If I don't provide it then they will exclude me from any scholarship that has financial need as a criteria. If I do provide it then I still won't get any money.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if it will hurt me more to provide or not provide this information.</p>

<p>Aww, its hard being rich.
Fill out the form anyway, some scholarships are need blind, etc. It would just be better to do it.</p>

<p>Sent from my PC36100 using CC App</p>

<p>OP same thing happened to me. My father makes over 100, 000 dollars and once they saw that they took all my FA and grant money away. Now my father has 2 other kids to worry about as well and can't spend all of his money one me. This is something schools should take into consideration as well. Also I'm for a tax reduction if you send your child to a private school. That should help with the cost in some way.</p>

<p>"Also I'm for a tax reduction if you send your child to a private school"</p>

<p>People without children pay taxes towards public school to support society and the future of our country. Just because one's child is in private school does not mean one doesn't have to pay. what if everyone thought like this?</p>

<p>Well I'm sorry but to me if you want to send your child to a private school why should you pay for public schools ?</p>

<p>I guess you are a libertarian. Listen, I have kids in private schools, but I still see it as my duty to support the less fortunate so that everyone can get an education in this country. The future of our nation depends on it. Do you really think education should only be granted to the wealthy?</p>

<p>I think the bigger issue is rising tuition, not redistribution. If tuition keep rising like this, fed funding is going down, and soon a lot fewer people will be able to afford college.</p>

<p>Anyway, if your parents are making too much, you can always donate them to me, or to children in Africa.</p>

<p>I'm actually a conservative and no it shouldn't. But I don't see the point in supporting other children while some can't even support their own</p>

<p>But then at the same time, Columbia, you wanted to get financial aid from your school. That doesn't make a lot of sense.</p>

<p>Agreed, spec, the biggest problem is the rising tuition, making school unaffordable for those who make even $1000,000+.</p>

<p>I think the whole concept of rich people deserving their wealth because they've earned it is hogwash in the sense that society tends to reward its people somewhat unfairly for the contributions they make and the amount of work they do. Jersey Shore is an uncommon, but good example.</p>

<p>It pains me to see people not helping others who are less fortunate. But you take it to the next level. You actually want to compete with those less fortunate, thus making it harder for people who actually need this money.</p>

<p>sorry about the rant, but someone had to say it..</p>

<p>"But I don't see the point in supporting other children while some can't even support their own"</p>

<p>This sentence makes no sense. If everyone could support their children, there would be no need for outside support. So you think there should be no financial aid at all? Or who should get financial aid?</p>

<p>^Just him, apparently.</p>

<p>
[quote]
if you want to send your child to a private school why should you pay for public schools?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>AAAGGGHHH!!!</p>

<p>There are people who have no children and pay school district taxes.
There are people who have never taken a bus or subway in their life and who pay taxes to support public transportation.
There are people who never go to a park and who pay taxes to support parks.
There are people who never go to the library and who pay taxes to support libraries.</p>

<p>My house has never been on fire but part of my property tax goes to support the county fire department.
Should I not support the fire department?
I have never been arrested and I have never been robbed.
So why should I pay toward the police department.</p>

<p>I don't think I have ever heard such a stupid comment in my life.</p>

<p>MB, exactly what I was thinking. There are so many services that are provided through your city/county which are supported by taxes.</p>

<p>This reminds me of homeowners who complain about paying taxes to support the local schools when they don't even have children in those schools (empty nesters). Or even worse, that "renters" don't pay these taxes, yet have children in the schools. Hello people, the renters still pay rent to their landlords (the homeowners), who should calculate the rental price based on the many expenses of the property!</p>

<p>I had the same issue. And combined my parents really don't make THAT much, we are middle class after all. And my parents have quite a bit of debt and that isn't considered. I am the 3rd kid so my parents didn't have a lot left over for me.</p>

<p>"if you want to send your child to a private school why should you pay for public schools?"</p>

<p>ummm the fed government gives alot of money to private schools. Tax money -> fed aid -> private school</p>

<p>so if u dont pay taxes for public school where does this aid money come from? public schools are already cash strapped as it is...</p>

<p>Columbia, why didn't you voluntarily give back the FA grants you received since you don't believe in subsidized education?</p>

<p>I feel ya brother... This is one of the fewer times when growing up with money really bites you in the "ace." Just put it on there, and see what happens. </p>

<p>See, I sort of lucked out because my sister is attending NYU, which I guess helps in the scholarship process because of the fact that my parents will be paying two tuitions at one time.</p>

<p>To answer the original poster's question, we asked this question and were told that in more than 50% of our daughter's target schools, you must fill out the FAFSA/CSS to be considered for merit aid. That is the rule - might as well bite the bullet and do the forms unless you aren't interested in merit aid and/or you have called every school and made sure that isn't the criteria. Better get on it too - some schools have very early deadlines for submission (way before admissions decisions).</p>

<p>Columbia,</p>

<p>We need more people with your mentality in this country! </p>

<p>"Also I'm for a tax reduction if you send your child to a private school" -- I'm with you all the way on that one. I happen to be a conservative also. </p>

<p>MarkBass called your comment stupid?! Maybe MarkBass misunderstood you. You didn't say anything about NOT paying for the public schools. All you said was that you believe in a tax reduction for private school tuition payers. That's not too much to ask.</p>

<p>Here's a question for all of you liberals out there: Why do local public schools need indoor swimming pools, central air, smart boards, and other things that do not fall under the category of basic needs to provide for an education?? These are things that many of our private schools don't even have. Now take into consideration that private school tuition payers often struggle to pay for "everyone else's kids" (public school students) so they can hardly afford their OWN kids' tuition. Yes, our hard-earned tax dollars go toward our public schools. But, do public school kids out there really NEED the luxuries I mentioned above? In my opinion, there's something wrong with the fact that public schools are receiving more money from the government than private schools, when the parents from private schools actually pay MORE money that the taxes that public school parents pay. I could go on for hours about this. It just isn't right.</p>