My parents...

<p>My parents insist on doing what they want when it comes to my school, even if I don't want it. I didn't want to take the November SAT but they said that I had do and then drove me all the way to school to fill out the registration form. I don't think that it's a good idea because I don't think I'll be well prepared for it. But if I took it in December I would have had more time to prepare and would get better scores. But I guess there's no point in arguing now because the forms are already on their way to the US.
Also, when I told them I wanted to apply for scholarships and financial aid and stuff in US universities (as you can see, I don't live in the US), they told me that there was no way I was going overseas for college and that I would have to go to a university here. I want a US university because they are accredited in places that local universities are not...and I don't want to work here after graduation.
um...that's it.</p>

<p>Why would they force you to take the SAT's if they want you to go uni in Egypt? Or would it be an american uni in Egypt that requires SAT's?</p>

<p>If you will be applying for admission to the fall, 2007 class at a university that requires the SAT, you need to take the SAT as soon as possible. If you wait until Dec. and are sick or somehow blow it, you won't have time to retake it in time to submit it for many colleges' deadlines.</p>

<p>You have plenty of time to study for a Nov. test date -- if you start now.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Why would they force you to take the SAT's if they want you to go uni in Egypt? Or would it be an american uni in Egypt that requires SAT's?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>well, I'm only taking the SAT because I'm in an American school. And Egyptian Universities require them from students who study the American corriculum. </p>

<p>I have started studying now, I guess a month and a half is plenty of time to prepare.</p>

<p>As I am sure you realize, financial aid and merit aid for internationals students is very limited and highly competitive. Without your parents financial support (both in terms of money and financial documentation) you really cannot apply and attend schools in the US. You need to sit down and address their concerns regarding school in the US. You might take a look at other options -- like attending undergraduate in Egypt and graduate school in the US. Isn't American University in Cairo accredited in the US?</p>

<p>yeah the AUC is accredited in the US. But my parents wouldn't even think of letting me go there without some kind of a scholarsip or fin aid and, needless to say, they are incredibly difficult to get.</p>

<p>stuck-on-1700, I don't think it is going to be any easier to get admission and money to go to school in the US. Seriously, the competition is harsh and the money is hard to come by for internationals.</p>

<p>Are you an American citizen? </p>

<p>also, you have time to practice for the Nov SAT -- you have 2 months!!!</p>

<p>BTW, be glad that you didn't sign up for the Dec test. That is often the last test some colleges will accept, and if you got sick that day, you'd miss the last test.</p>

<p>One year, the Dec SAT got cancelled in many areas because of a snowstorm. Unlikely to happen in Egypt, but you get the idea.</p>

<p>Yes, are you an American citizen? If you are, you may not be considered an international student, depending on the circumstances, and thus eligible for more financial aid. Depends on the school.</p>

<p>But, really, why do your parents not want you to go overseas to school? Safety? Don't want you so far away? What do they say?</p>

<p>"yeah the AUC is accredited in the US. But my parents wouldn't even think of letting me go there without some kind of a scholarsip or fin aid and, needless to say, they are incredibly difficult to get."</p>

<p>They aren't any easier to get in the US, especially for internationals.</p>

<p>No, I'm not an American citizen. so I guess that makes it even harder to get into a US university :(</p>

<p>
[quote]
But, really, why do your parents not want you to go overseas to school? Safety? Don't want you so far away? What do they say?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>They think Egypt is safer. They want me to be close to them...plus I'm the youngest HS senior ever; so they don't think I'll last long in the US becuse I'm so young.
They really just want to keep an eye on me. They're just not saying it out loud.</p>

<p>Just how young are you? If you are a senior this year and considering applying to US colleges now, I think you parents are probably correct. You haven't taken the SAT's and are just now finding out how very difficult and expensive US colleges are for international students.</p>

<p>My suggestion would be to attend the best school you can in Egypt, get really top grades and apply to a US university for graduate work. Could you spend a year or semester abroad in the the US during college? That might be a good option. Definitely try for the American University in Cairo, but look around and see what other colleges in Egypt send students to the US for graduate work.</p>

<p>What major are you interested in?</p>

<p>It is hard for int'l students who are not US citizens to get aid, student loans, and scholarships. It is actually forbidden in many instances. I think you can understand that the US gov't, state gov'ts, and various colleges have to help US citizens afford college and it can't afford to help everyone else in the world. Not to mention, other countries aren't readily providing aid for US citizens to go to college in their countries, either.</p>

<p>If your parents can't/won't pay "full freight" (all expenses) for you to go to college in the US, then you can't go. The int'l students that come to US colleges are often from wealthy families and are sometimes charged add'l tuition from colleges.</p>

<p>I can understand why your parents don't want you to come here. Even if you were somehow able to get some of your college paid for iwith some kind of unusual aid, it still would be very expensive for your parents to fly you back and forth during breaks, communicate with you by phone, etc.</p>

<p>You say that you are young... how young? If you are so young that you will be a minor during some of your college years, I don't blame your parents!</p>

<p>I'll be a minor throughout my whole freshman year. (I'll be 16 this December).</p>

<p>I agree with your parents. Also, even if you lived in the U.S. and had American parents, your parents might not be willing to let you go away from home at all to go to college at your young age. That's because college consists of far more than academics.</p>

<p>Particularly in the U.S., the social aspect is important, and that can include things like dating as well as extracurriculars. On virtually any campus here except for the very hardcore Christian colleges that have virtually lock down rules for their students, you'd be exposed to alcohol abuse, drug abuse, students having sex in dorm rooms, etc. You would have to make some difficult decisions about what to do to fit in. If all that you did would be to sit in the library and study, you'd have a miserable time and would be missing lots of the American college experience. By that, I am not referring to drugs, booze, etc., but to the friendships and productive extracurricular activities including clubs related to one's majors, service related to helping the community -- something that is very valued here.</p>

<p>If you were an American kid, I would be suggesting that you take at least one year off between high school and college, and do something productive that would allow you to learn more about yourself and the world, and would give you a break from studying. This could be doing an immersion language program in another country; doing structured travel with perhaps a student-oriented group; working a job (any job would teach you lots about yourself and the world); doing fulltime volunteer work with a cause that interests you; pursuing academic research in a field that interests you, perhaps with a professional or professor as your mentor.</p>

<p>Depending on how that year went, I would allow you to apply to college abroad. I would be able to see how you're doing by Nov. or so, which would provide you with the time to get your applications in. </p>

<p>Incidentally, American colleges believe so much in the value of a structured gap year that Harvard offers that option to all students that it accepts.</p>

<p>Even if your parents allowed you to apply to American colleges this year, your age would work against you. American colleges have enough problems with American students who are young for their age.</p>

<p>My own son entered college at 17 because he had skipped. Prior to college, he was against things like partying, drugs, etc. He even had taken one college off his list when he read that students staged a riot when the beer ran out at some kind of local festival. Then, in a college 1,000 miles from home, he became friends with students who were much older, and started hanging out with them, including drinking. He ended up flunking out.</p>

<p>Anyway, your young age would work against you with American colleges no matter how strong your grades are. Consequently, taking a gap year could actually strengthen your chances of getting accepted to an American college, and doing well on the gap year could give your parents the confidence to support your applying to college in the U.S.</p>

<p>I agree a lot with what northstar mom said about taking a gap year off and strengthening your chances and proving to your parents and yourself some things. I don't think age is necessarily an issue though. It really depends. I was 17 when I started my uni which was abroad and I then moved permanently to the UK right after I had turned 19 by myself to work fulltime. I'm soon to be 21 and all my friends here are in their mid-20's. So I do understand what it is like to be the youngest in a situation. But this is not an ideal situation for everyone. </p>

<p>As for whoever said that intl's are people from wealthy families. This isn't necessarily true. There are some options out there but you really need to work hard at them to get them. More important I think is the emotional support a parent provides to their child who is abroad.</p>

<p>The gap year sounds like a good idea.but I'm a little hesitant about it because if i were going to a unieristy here; my HS certificate would be void if it's more than a year old. and I wouldn't want to jeapordize my chances of getting into a uni here unless I was sure that I had an oportunity elsewhere...which is easier said than done.</p>

<p>Then perhaps your best option is to go to college in your home country, and then try to transfer after 2 years.</p>

<p>Why don't you apply for a high school exchange year abroad? If you are open to doing a gap year, this would be ideal. Even if you have graduated you can still do this (as long as you are not older than 18 1/2). It would give you a chance to be here in the US and decide if this really is where you want to come to school. My family currently has 2 students with us (Brazil and Germany). They have expressed an interest in perhaps returning after this year to go to university, so we are going to do a fun thing - visit colleges! It will also give your family a chance to see that you are ok being away this far, with the assurance that you are in a family situation and being looked after. Plus, there are scholarships available. You would have to ask about your HS certificate, but I would think that since you would be still 'in school' that you would not have the issue of it expiring.</p>

<p>As everyone has pointed out, you are young and it probably is not appropriate for you to be on your own on a college campus (it's a mom and dad thing). But you are an ideal age to do an exchange year.</p>