My Story

<p>A lot of condescending posts from BS cheerleaders who refuse to acknowledge the facts as they are.</p>

<p>In my experience prep school admission boiled down to one of these scenarios; there was no inbetween. An admitted student either needed to be independently wealthy and/or a legacy... or extremely bright/talented and without means.</p>

<p>That's more like it inspite of what the naysayers say.</p>

<p>Honestly, it's nothing new that people with "really good" stats end up being rejected if that's csi=love's reason for this thread. It happens all the time on CC; her/his case isn't really any different than most of 2500+ (varies depending on size of school) applicants who get rejected from each boarding school every year.</p>

<p>CSI's proposition is not that good applicants get rejected, it is that the FA applicants, as Neato says, need to get selected twice: one for admission and the other for FA which is a lot harder than simply getting in without FA.</p>

<p>^
Well, I already knew that FA applicants have a somewhat harder time than full pay. It's sad that she didn't worry about it when she was applying, but I guess it's good that she put it on CC if there are other people who don't know about the harder application proccess for FA propesctive students. That being said, it can be inferred by the recent economic downturn and it said it on one of the school's (Exeter) websites that she was applying to.</p>

<p>I'm just saying, when I was applying, I realized there was a recession going on, but I didn't really think about how it could affect me. I knew that FA may be an issue, but I didn't know how much of an issue. It's not that I'm ignorant or anything, I just didn't want to think about it. I tried to stay positive as so many people suggested, which didn't really prepare me for what happened.</p>

<p>@urban: Everyone probably knows that it's harder to get in with FA. The point CSI is making is that s/he didn't get into any schools which include reach, safety etc. I think a lot of new FA applicants find OP's story compelling to lower thier expectations more so than they would otherwise. CSI is doing a big favor to new FA applicants by posting this and s/he should be commended for this. It's sad to see all the pros nitpicking this valuable post.</p>

<p>Not needing FA =/= getting accepted everywhere and having to decide between SPS and Groton</p>

<p>Needing FA =/= 100% the reason you got waitlisted/rejected (Or even 80 or 70 percent of the reason)</p>

<p>goldilon, it's not that simple. Being full-pay is not the magic bullet that so many FA applicants seem to think. There are PLENTY of wonderful, smart, talented kids whose parents can pay full freight who are just as disappointed as many FA applicants on March 10th. To say that full pay = acceptance is naive. Does it help? Sure, in that the schools don't also have to decide whether they like you enough to pay for you. But believe me, it takes a lot of stars to align properly for a kid to stay in the admit during final committee at the top schools, FP or not!</p>

<p>Just realized that =/= may mean "does not equal." If that's the case, kindly disregard my last post! :) Sorry, Goldilon</p>

<p>I am waiting for goldilon to tell us what =/= means?</p>

<p>
[quote]
To say that full pay = acceptance is naive.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No one including OP is saying this.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Does it help? Sure,

[/quote]
</p>

<p>We agree with you.</p>

<p>@ emdee:
in internet slang =/= means does not equal :P</p>

<p>Pulsar, see my post #51. I misunderstood what =/= means.</p>

<p>@csi - I'm not hammering on you for anything. In response to your (posts):
It's totally okay, perhaps even advisable, to make stats up to maintain privacy. I do that often.
I was not targeting you when I said to stop bragging/fishing for compliments, that was directed at all of CC. I certainly felt "entitled" when applying.
And of course FA is important, but it is not the deciding factor. Just let these kids apply and do their best, rather than filling their heads with information that they wouldn't do anything with regardless.</p>

<p>Last winter I read somewhere that only 7% of FA applicants are accepted at Andover vs. well above 40% of full-pay kids were admitted (I think it was 46%, but I can't remember for sure). Granted that static is a bit old now, but I believe the principle still holds true, even if the exact numbers have changed. </p>

<p>Although, I agree admissions is hard on everyone. I think it's important to apply to as many schools as you can afford to apply to. Try to do face-to-face interviews at the school if you can afford to fly there. Also, try to make yourself seem special, make your admissions officer remember you, they'll likely be the one to go to bat for you during the admissions process.</p>

<p>That said, everyone's story is different. I live in an area where going to any private school is just weird, going to a fancy boarding school 3,000 miles away is just unheard of. Thus, I didn't know this was an option in the eighth grade, and eventually applied for sophomore year (which suppose makes my case a bit different). </p>

<p>I went in to March 10th confident, I'm from a part of the country that seems exotic, have enough extracurricular activities that I had to explain how it was possible to do so much during interviews, got great recommendations (I even saw one along with a cover-letter that the principle had added), good grades, and very high SSAT scores. </p>

<p>When March 10th rolled around things weren't so great, my parents woke me up at 4am with the news, I'd been rejected at Lawrenceville. Fortunately, that was the only rejection I got, I did get weight-listed elsewhere though. I spent most of that day in bed sobbing. </p>

<p>I blame FA for the rejection, the truth of that I'll never know.</p>

<p>Admissions is a weird process.I did the interview with the school I'm actually going to via skype, the microphone didn't work. I made a total fool of myself trying to fix it, eventually I had to call for my mother. I assumed that would be enough stupidity to get me rejected. Imagine my surprise when they not only accepted me, but also gave me more FA then SSS recommended. My guess as to why I got accepted: my interviewer and I were both vegetarian.</p>

<p>Hey guys I'm new on CC and to be honest this post did kind of scare the crap out of me. I'm applying as ninth grader next year to: MX, Andover, Choate, and Concord Academy. (If I go to MX or Concord I'll go as a day student.) But my family is really poor though. My first choice right now is MX. What is MX's record with FA? Do a lot of its students receive FA?</p>

<p>Well, Boarding School Review is usually a good source for things like that. If a school has a high percentage of kids on FA, large endowment, and high acceptance rate that's a good sign. I'm guessing MX refers to Middlesex, which is very difficult to get into, but you have to consider yourself as an applicant. If you have 75+ SSAT scores and a gpa of like 3.5+, it's probably worth a shot. The higher the numbers the better!!! Also, since day student tuition is less then boarding tuition, even if you qualify for full FA that still isn't huge when compared to the amount they'd need to shell out for someone who's boarding in a similar financial situation. </p>

<p>I thought I should add why I blame FA for my rejection. So, here's the story:
Not long before March 10th Lawrenceville asked for another copy of some financial documents just so they could "work-out some numbers," they insisted the documents needed to be sent over-night (which isn't cheap), but all this made us pretty confident. Then I got rejected. I had practically the same thing happen with another school, only that ended in wait-listing.</p>

<p>
[quote]
...I read somewhere that only 7% of FA applicants are accepted at Andover vs. well above 40% of full-pay kids were admitted (I think it was 46%, but I can't remember for sure).

[/quote]

That is a fascinating, mind-boggling statistic. Can anyone else confirm it at all?</p>