Narrowing down colleges

<p>Hello! I needed help narrowing down some colleges, so I was hoping I could get some help here. </p>

<p>Stats: </p>

<p>SAT Scores: CR: 680 M: 770 W: 800 (will take SAT again—hoping to raise CR to about 730ish)
Biology: 750 Math I: 740 US History: 720</p>

<p>GPA/Classes: 4.0 ( rank: 7/600); have taken 6 APs so far (will take 6 next year). </p>

<p>Extracurricular Activities:
-7 honor societies/honor clubs
-Three years as a volunteer tutor
-member of small clubs (Medicine Club, Debating Club, SAVE/SADD, etc)
-paid intern for a company (wrote articles for magazine)</p>

<p>Leadership/Recognition:
-Chaired volunteer activities for clubs
-Have poetry and photographs published in school magazine (published annually)
-Secretary of Debating Club
-Won three awards in TSA State Competition </p>

<h2>-Won a Gold Medal and "Cum Laude" award for National Latin Exam</h2>

<p>Schools to apply to:
-Berkeley
-GA Tech
-Emory
-UCLA
-Vanderbilt</p>

<p>How are my college choices? Which colleges would I get into, and what other colleges should I consider? Thank you!!</p>

<p>After reading many threads I can say you have a fair shot at each of those colleges.
They seem like matches. If you write good essay's and get good recommendations I have faith that you will get accepted to all but maybe one.</p>

<p>What major are you planning to pursue? Where do you currently live?</p>

<p>Fair chance at Berkeley, but I'm not sure what your chances are for the College of Engineering as it is more selective than all the rest of the colleges there. My suggestion is you improve your SAT II Math (as it is low for most COE students) to improve your chances.</p>

<p>I am actually not interested in engineering at all. I am hoping to do something with International Issues (with pre-med).</p>

<p>Overall, I am actually unsure of my major. I am mainly trying to see what range of colleges I have to choose from.</p>

<p>I think you definitely have a good chance of getting into all the schools on your list-they are all matches for you.</p>

<p>I live in Georgia. I am hoping to do something with International Issues and Premed classes (I am unsure about my major overall).</p>

<p>So what kind of "Reach" schools should I apply to? Should I try out any Ivy Leagues?</p>

<p>Look at Columbia, and Georgetown. They have great international relations program. You could also apply to Harvard, though your not guaranteed admissions . You have the same chance many others have, so apply.</p>

<p>Thank you! </p>

<p>What would you say about Duke and MIT?</p>

<p>What can your parents afford? Will you be eligible for FA?</p>

<p>Erin's Dad:
We currently have about $60k in a bank account for my college funds. My parents want me to go to medical school, so not all of the money can go to my undergrad school. We are eligible for Financial Aid, yes.</p>

<p>If you're eligible for financial aid, and seeing as you should have a few reaches, you should look at schools that meet 100% of need. Even if they only give you 20k/year (still cost 30k/year), they'll be cheaper than Berkeley or UCLA. And if your parents make under 100k, you'll pay closer to 10 or 15k/year, whereas if you go to an out of state public, you'll pay more.</p>

<p>If you like certain ivy leagues, apply (Brown wutwut). Duke seems to fit with your geographic picks, as would Stanford.</p>

<p>Brown is a good choice for IR and pre-med. Why not UGA since you need to save $ for med school?</p>

<p>Erin's Dad: </p>

<p>Thank you--I will look more into Brown. Personally, I don't like the feel of UGA (my brother goes there--he likes it, as does many other people). Plus, I feel that I can get accepted into schools that have better premed programs. My parents aren't discussing payment much yet. As of now, it's about finding out the best places for me to apply.</p>