National Merit Scholarship Program (CA semifinalist to finalist with a C in one AP class?)

1560 SAT and 3.7 UW, 4.15 weighted. I got a C in APUSH junior second semester. I just meet the California NMSQT cutoff. The minimum unweighted GPA I have had in a semester was 3.5 and have taken all STEM AP options and also 5 dual enrollment courses with all As except 1 P. Will I be rejected from National Merit semi finalist to finalist? Anybody with a single C rejected?

Review Requirements and Instructions for Semifinalists in the National Merit® Scholarship Program carefully.

Roughly 95% of Semifinalists successfully advance to Finalist standing (about 15,000 out of 16,000 students). Unless your high school official decides to revoke their endorsement, I think you’re safe.

This was in the requirements:

Have a record of consistently very high academic performance in all of grades 9 through 12 and in any college course work taken.

Your school must provide a complete record of high school courses you have taken, grades earned, and course work you will take in grade 12. Your school is instructed to notify NMSC of any noticeable decline in your academic performance during the current year.

This is why I am a bit scared. I have 35 As, 8 Bs, 1 C. 17 of these grades are AP/honors/dual enrollment.

Your concern is serious; you should politely ask the guidance department about it. An essential requirement could be, a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher, similar to a National Honor Society membership requirement. I doubt any high school sponsor would kick you out of NHS for just one “C” grade. Same thing with this.

Why are you afraid ? Are you using it for a full ride ? Most schools give nothing but some give a ton.

But all you can do is march forth. If it’s out of your control, then you can’t do anything. You will be the same fantastic student whether you receive or not.

No worry to worry. It will happen. Or it won’t. I’m sure you’ll have great opportunities regardless.

yeah going to use it for that. thanks, right now I am hoping for the best and I think it might. if 95 percent are advancing and most who do not don’t submit, then 1 C does not look bad ig. thanks, I will just submit and forget about this until January.

1 Like

All you can do - have a budget and find schools to achieve. I assume you are looking at Bama, UTD, Tulsa, Wash State or a school like that?

Just make sure you have a full palate of schools to achieve whatever you can spend in case it doesn’t happen.

Good luck

Yeah, UTD is the top choice for engineering(full ride) and I think TAMU gives pretty cheap with scholarship too so that is second for the scholarship schools. I will apply to Bama too, but not my top choice.

1 Like