National Society of Leadership and Success

My son received an invitation to join the national society of leadership and success, my question is whether this is of any use?

He received one of these last year and we just tossed it. I don’t think it is a scam because it is on university stationary, but considering there is a fee to join I wonder if it is one of those things that is of no real benefit and just a waste of money.

Meaningless IMHO. You usually have to apply to be accepted to a valuable honor society and it should not cost you anything beyond a token dollar amount to join.

^This but keep in mind that even the reputable honors societies, such as NHS, can vary widely in usefulness from school to school. Some chapters are extremely competitive and do a lot of service to the community, while others have a lot less activity.

I would say just throw it away. Both my kids got these and our college counselors said it doesn’t mean anything. NHS can be meaningful but not every NHS at every school does anything. The one at the school where I taught and my kids attended was not active at all…they just gave the kids certificates at the end of year assembly.

Toss it. And I know I’m in the minority here, but I don’t think NHS matters either, at least not for college admissions.