Navigating Graduate Admissions As A First-Gen, Low-Income College Grad

"What happens to first-generation, low-income students after they’ve graduated from college? One of my motivators for attending and graduating from college was that somehow, like the late summer mushrooms that pop-up overnight, I’d no longer be poor. I somehow thought erroneously that my life post-Columbia University would be so much better than the life I lived before it. Poverty would finally just leave me alone.

In many ways, this is the case. Attending college gave me health insurance for the first time in my life. It offered me reliable access to healthy food, mental health resources, and an education that will influence me until my last thought. But most importantly, for an undocumented student born in a rural sugar plantation, college offered me a seemingly endless network of peers, advisors, professors, staff, and alumni who wanted to help me just because I was a student at their school. In many ways, Columbia became the parent that I needed during the first eighteen years of my life." …

https://www.forbes.com/sites/civicnation/2020/10/09/navigating-graduate-admissions-as-a-first-gen-low-income-college-grad/#281e8b507bef