Need basic ACT info

<p>I wasn’t planning to take the ACT at first because I live on the east coast and am applying to mostly east coast schools. However, Some of the colleges on my list, specifically the University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign, get mostly ACT scores from applicants so I think I should take the test. I have some basic questions.</p>

<li><p>How does it compare to the SAT? Does it require more or less studying, considerign I don’t know much about the format at all.</p></li>
<li><p>is the “ACT test with writing” one test that I take in one day?</p></li>
<li><p>How long does it take before I can send my scores to colleges?</p></li>
<li><p>will I be able to send my score to colleges with a January 2nd deadline if I take the December 9th test? If not, I’ll have to take the October 28th test which will involve a lot of cramming considering that I’m also studying for a October 14th SAT retake.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>If you tell me that I can take the December 9th test, and submit in time for a January 2nd deadline, please be 100% sure because I don’t want to sign up for something that I’ll regret.</p>

<ol>
<li>Neither test requires study. The ACT is supposed to be more about things you've learned in school, while the SAT is sometimes said to be trickier. I would just take a practice test, see how you do, and decide how much you should study.</li>
<li>Yes.</li>
<li>If you take it with writing, about three weeks.</li>
<li>You'd probably be okay. It's quickest if you put down the colleges when you register, but then you have to commit to sending the scores without knowing what they are. A lot of schools accept scores after the deadline if you took the test before the deadline. Check with each school.</li>
</ol>

<p>You COULD take the Oct. test, just in case, or to see how you do, but also plan to take the Dec. test with more preparation. Unlike SAT, you can choose to send only your best scores.</p>