need for personal printer

<p>Can anyone comment on the printing process and how much of a hassle it is/isn't to NOT have a printer in your room?</p>

<p>Okay so there's two methods to printing:</p>

<p>1- You go into a computer lab (there are 2 24-hour labs I believe, and most others are open from 8am-10pm or late). Log into a computer. Print your stuff. Wait for it to be sent to a printer BEHIND the tech-help desk. They'll bring your stuff out to a common table where you pick it up. Depending on the delay in printing, the number of things printed, and the business of the lab, this method can take 5-10 minutes.</p>

<p>2- Install the self-print printer onto your labtop. From your computer, print to a self-print printer. Walk to a self-print printer somewhere on campus (There's one in the 24-hour David Lawrence Lab, there's one in Benedum's Computer lab, I don't know where the others are). Simply walk up to the printer, swipe your PittID, and your stuff is printed immediately. Pick up and walk out. This method (in terms of printing time) only takes more than about 30 seconds if there's a line for the self-print printer (and I've never seen a line). I'm not including the time to walk to the printer from wherever you are.</p>

<p>Unless you're living off campus/far, I don't see the need for a personal printer. Now that Pitt has introduced self-print, it's really easy and accessible to print whatever you need. Keep in mind that all students get 999 sheets of paper to print per semester. I have yet to see ANYONE reach this limit.</p>

<p>For some reason, I was never able to get self-print working from my laptop, which has been incredibly frustrating. But I have a printer that I bought for really cheap at Walmart, and it's been nice to use if I only need to print a couple pages. What's also nice is that there's a shop on Forbes Avenue that refills your ink cartridges for only about $10. However, I still often utilized the computer labs on campus for bigger printing jobs. I think having my own printer is going to be useful now that I'm living off campus, since obviously I'll no longer be able to run across the skywalk to David Lawrence if I need to print something out last minute.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Were you using Windows 7 maybe? I think when they first released the self-printers, they did it pre-Windows 7. I know they did that with the PittNet CDs which was a huge fail for kids whose laptops were running Windows 7 and therefore incompatible. But I think it should work now...I haven't tried it myself, but my roommate used it last year without any problems.</p>

<p>Does self-printing cost you?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well it uses up your printing quota, just like if you were to print in a lab. But no, there are no extra fees with self-printing.</p>

<p>And depending on your major you have up to 900 pages of free printing. As long as you don't mind walking to a print lab to print (which you can just do if you leave a bit early for class, honestly) it's not worth buying a printer.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Really? I thought everyone got 999 sheets...I think Engineers do, at least. </p>

<p>Although I've never gone below 600 in a semester...so I hardly use any printing anyway (and I didn't have a printer those years).</p>

<p>The Pitt Printing site said "Pittsburgh campus students can print up to 900 black-and-white pages in the campus computing labs per semester." I'm not exactly sure, though, if that's right. I could've sworn my engineering friend told me non-humanities majors got 600. So many different stories, haha.</p>

<p>Either way, though, I've never come close to using even 300 pages in a semester. So chances are it won't really matter at all :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Too True :)</p>