Thank you! I’m a BMC alum and a law professor so have some experience with all this! I hope the OP can get comfortable with the idea of going away to college. Bryn Mawr (and Haverford) is a warm, welcoming community in a quiet, safe neighborhood – a wonderful environment in which to spread one’s wings and explore!
I’m not anti John Jay, and in fact I think you should compare the two schools for what they will give you (courses, convenience, friendships) without the money.
I think the money is a lot closer at the two schools than you think. Living at home will not be free. You’ll have to commute to John Jay, have to eat while at school and at home, may have to pay for extras at John Jay (usually at schools like BMC, all the little things are included, even things like copies at the library or a computer repair).
Another big difference is the time you will spend commuting to John Jay. An hour a day? Two? There is a big benefit to living on campus for the convenience of just rolling out of bed and walking to the dining hall or a class, of being able to finish just one more math problem at the library and walking to a dorm, not having to worry about the bus/train schedule or not wanting to travel after 10 pm to get home.
If you want the big city experience, John Jay would be a great choice. If you want the small college experience, BMC would be a great experience. I think the money will turn out to be very close at both schools after you include the ‘not free’ costs of living at home with transportation, food, etc.
Oh good point! If Bryn Mawr includes meal plan in their price (which I’m sure they do) then Bryan Mawr might actually be much closer cost-wise to the OP’s other option when you account for how much they would pay for food over the course of two semesters if they lived at home and commuted. Not just meals out, but regular groceries too.
Yes, this seems a critical distinction. Food and board are almost certainly included in the $5k at Bryn Mawr, and I assume you would be eating at home for meals, and using hot water and electricity, etc., if you are commuting to John Jay, and that is going to cost someone money (you or your parents). Food and board are expensive, and living and eating for 9 months for $5k is a steal. Plus, you would be getting a world-class education. Debt sucks, but in the scheme of things, it is a small amount.
I also totally agree that law studies is not a great undergrad degree. Study something you like, or that might lead to a different job than law. If you end up applying for law school, they will likely prefer a major other than legal studies, and if you don’t end up choosing to apply to law school, you will have a degree that either interests you or that is useful in some other way. In my law school class at UCB, I honestly think the number of students with “legal studies” type undergrad degrees was minuscule (I can honestly only remember one person). There were, however, a lot of poetry, philosophy, chemistry, geology, film, neurobiology, gender studies, math, etc. majors. Study something more interesting to you (and the law school admissions officers). Just my 2 cents.
Another vote for Bryn Mawr if you can swing it. An amazing college and a wonderful opportunity to experience campus life.
Also, if your family is currently paying anything for your ECs / after school activities , many of those types of activities are usually free on college campuses so that may be a cost savings for your family in general (not specific to one college or another).