Need help deciding on future plans.

<p>I am about to finish my undergrad in electrical engineering with a GPA ~3.9 and 1.5 years research assistant experience.</p>

<p>I really like electrical engineering, but I have always wanted to become an anesthesiologist. Both career paths sound very appealing to me, but even after a years of considering both options, I am still undecided.</p>

<p>I am not sure weather I should:
1. Go to grad school and get a PhD in electrical engineering or
2. Take a few biology and chemistry classes and then go to med school</p>

<p>Does anyone have any advise as far as the future outlook on electrical engineers vs. anesthesiologists?</p>

<p>It's usually informative to do a "Ben Franklin" - draw a line down the center of a piece of paper and list the plusses on one side and the minuses on the other.</p>

<p>I will get you started;
EE - Plus - $10k/month, probably a steady job market, work 5 to 7 days/week, potentially interesting work. Minus - you will most likely not get the pay you deserve, not many people understand what you do.</p>

<p>MD - Plus - $10k/week, steady job market, typically work 4 days/week, potentially interesting work, hot women fling themselves at you. Minus - you will be touching the dead and dying, you will probably get a big head and a god complex.</p>

<p>How do you make those smiley face thingies? Best of luck - it's a good dilemma to have.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I hope this was not meant to be serious or objective.</p>

<p>Part serious, pay rates (exaggerated) and workdays/week, everything else is pure BS. The idea of those plus/minus charts is to write down everything that comes into your head, no matter how inane, then pare it down to only the important things later. It is a great tool for planning.</p>

<p>By the way, I'm an EE and the wife owns her own small primary care clinic. Our personalities are completely opposite, so it's funny to see the desire to do both rolled into one person. For now, we work about the same hours and make about the same money.</p>