Need help with colleges ):

<p>So recently, I've been worrying about college, and which one I should shoot for.
The thing is, I'm really trying to go for schools that are well-known and with a good reputation.
I live in Southern California, and I'd like to go to a school basically anywhere in the US, but I'd prefer places either in or close to a large city.
My GPA overall, unweighted, is about between 3.4 - 3.6. Weighted is around 3.7, but my school uses the 4.0 scale. My SAT score is between 2000 and 2100 (closer to 2000). I expect both my GPA and SAT to be higher next year. I'm fairly good with essays, and I have decent volunteer work service. My school's api score was 890 last year, the average for asians being 920-something, which I am. </p>

<p>Please help me out by recommending some schools to me! Basically, I want to know what the best schools I can make it to are, as well as some that I can probably make that sound like good schools. :)</p>

<p>I'm currently considering:
The UC's, besides Berkeley and UCLA
Boston University
NYU
Occidental
Syracuse
Pepperdine
University of Illinois at Chicago (and possible Urbana-Champaign)
University of Washington</p>

<p>All of the universities you are currently considering look great. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. </p>

<p>Since you like urban settings, you may look into University of Miami. The proximity to the beach may make that SoCal transition a little easier. :)</p>

<p>thanks. i'll look into that. pressure is high because my dad went to harvard med school, mom went to usc, and the 5 cousins closest in age to me went to: Stanford, MIT, Cornell, Harvard, and UC Berkeley. sighh.</p>

<p>Are those schools really who you are or are you picking them for prestige? :/</p>

<p>The Claremont colleges are well-known in CA, right? I know that Claremont McKenna, and especially Pomona are really great (small) schools. A lot of the time, larger schools are more well-known, but I know about them here in NC.</p>

<p>I'm with katie393, those are all great schools (I don't know anything about UI Chicago though). If USC is of interest to you, your legacy would probably help.</p>

<p>I feel like Syracuse and BU would be happy to have someone from so far away, which gives you an edge haha. But make sure you really look into the city of Syracuse... my parents went to school there and have never really had anything positive to say about the city itself - and according to (a website that keeps being starred out... starts with a P, ends with rowler), most students can't see themselves living there after graduation. It's a great school, but upstate New York has a different kind of city that you may not be used to - lots of manufacturing, gray skies. Idk, just my opinion, as a Southerner who visits twice a year.</p>

<p>Well, good idea to look at the UCs. I personally like UC Irvine (duh) and UCSD.
Also, St. John's college is a nice school if you are up to the writing and reading. I probably would have gone there if I had the money. :(<br>
Good luck in your search!</p>

<p>I actually chose most of them because I actually really am interested in them (:
I've visited almost all of the UC campuses, except Davis. I like them, but I have to admit that a small reason I want to go is because of the reputation, and also because it would save me a lot of money since they're in state and public.
I've also been to Occidental a few times before, and I know people that attend it. Same goes for Pepperdine (my dream school back in the day actually), and I love the location especially.
The reason that UIC is on my list is because my dad did his undergrad at Urbana Champaign, and really respects/recommends the UI system.
And University of Washington just seemed to be recommended by a lot of people. But I'll definitely keep what you said about Syracuse in mind.
The only problem I have with USC is that I don't like the location D:
And yep, the Claremont's are well known here, but I think they're a little bit too competitive/good for me LOL. Like super reach schools.</p>

<p>Haha thanks! I have a lot of friends at UCI, so it would be easier to go there, I guess. Campus is awesome x)</p>

<p>Ahhh :) (that's my condensed reply to all of the above haha)</p>

<p>Good luck in your applications! I may apply to UW, too - it's really a pretty campus (from the pictures I've seen)!</p>

<p>Good luck to you too! I would just need to get used to the weather there ):</p>

<p>I love the weather in Seattle! I think it's because I was born there, born to live in the drizzle :) You can just pretend you are in... London lol.</p>