New car!!

<p>Well, I've been talking about this for awhile now.... But I've finally done it!</p>

<p>Got myself a new vehicle!</p>

<p>It's an 08 Mitsubishi Lancer!</p>

<p>My car (also a Mitsubishi) had been so good to me over the years... but for the past year it had been burning oil.. every month I'd be putting another quart in... and the a/c decided to get temperamental this past summer... and the paint started fading off during the past year which meant the car was starting to look a bit sad.. but apart from those things this past year, it literally never had an issue in the 120k miles that I've owned it.. Heck it was still on it's original battery at 90k and my dad told me to be proactive and put a new battery in before it let me sit somewhere!</p>

<p>Anyway, due to the above recent issues I had been contemplating buying a new vehicle in the spring around income tax time.... I took it for inspection last week and found out it needed 4 new tires and brakes. I decided it would be stupid to pay for tires on a car that someone else will be driving in six months and started looking for a new car!</p>

<p>I got a really great deal (the car was already priced about 1500 under blue book retail value and I got them down another 500), and I got a tiny bit more on my trade in then I had thought I would. The most suprising thing was the interest rate I got out of the dealership. I already had financing arranged with my credit union at a great rate and the dealership seemed amazed when I gave them the figures. They came back to me in 30 minutes with an offer beating the interest rate by .35% and I said sold.</p>

<p>Anyway, It's silver... it's adorable... and it's mine!! ;)</p>

<p>The thing I've been most surprised about over the past 2 days (Obviously this may be a bit premature) is it's gas milage. It calculates it for you as you drive on each trip. The sticker said 21 city and 29 highway, but I've been averaging 33 for the 100 miles or so that I put on since yesterday - which was about half highway half city. The other thing that surprised me (a tiny bit) is that my insurance went DOWN by purchasing this car! I guess because it's got more air bags it's considered to be safer. Woohoo!!</p>

<p>Does it have enough trunk space for the guitars?</p>

<p>Yes sir! It's already got my golf clubs & my tennis racket in there! ;)</p>

<p>Then it IS a good buy!</p>

<p>nice! enjoy it.</p>

<p>Me too. 2012 Chevy Cruze LT1, auto trans. I wanted to replace my Hyundai with another but I had too many GM Card points that I was grandfathered in so I could use them all. Glad I did. </p>

<p>Love the way the car drives/feels and my actual 27/45 mpg.</p>

<p>Nice.</p>

<p>One of the great excitements growing up was when the family got a new car. In the 60's it happened fairly often, compared to today, I think. </p>

<p>I miss that. Maybe its just age, or the fact that I'm paying for it instead of being driven around in it.</p>

<p>Congrats. I'm hoping to get a new car next month. I'm hoping I'll have the $$$$ next month.</p>

<p>I have been looking at cars too and I like the Subaru outback but I just had a look t the 2012 Camry and they finally got rid of the body styling that I hate. My car has 227,000 miles on it and it was in for a 30k service and they said that the car is in remarkably good shape so the current plan is to keep to 300k unless something else jumps out at me.</p>

<p>33 mpg seems a lot more reasonable on the Lancer. I think that there were a few years when mileage was lowballed.</p>

<p>
[quote]
My car has 227,000 miles on it and it was in for a 30k service

[/quote]
I think you are a tad late for the 30K mi service :eek:</p>

<p>I am jealous. :) My husband recently got a Kia Sorrento. Good gas milage considering it's not a small vehicle.</p>

<p>I am resigned to 3 more years driving the 2000 Accord and the 2002 minivan..</p>

<p>Toyota's service schedule goes 5K, 5K, 15K, 5K, 5K, 30K, 5K, 5K, 15K, 5K, 5K, 60K, etc. Stuff rolls around</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Cars back then were nowhere near as reliable and well built as the least reliable car today. By 100,000 miles, most cars in the 1960s needed a lot of unscheduled maintenance, repairs, and rebuilding, but most cars today will go several times that with just occasional normal maintenance.</p>

<p>Honestly my car probably would have kept on going... It was just a hassle to keep adding oil each month... it never had any mechanical problems at all... hopefully this one is the same..</p>

<p>Great news Fendergirl. It's so nice to read your updates. How's the new job going?</p>

<p>I absolutely love it!!</p>

<p>Learning new things every day.. but it's going really well and everyone is so nice and supportive. It's got some really nice perks.. I have a company cell and a token from work which allows me to work from home if I want.. so that'll be great on snowy days or sick days or whatever... Everyone keeps saying that I'm a brain and learn things quickly, so that's always nice to hear... haha!</p>

<p>Fendergirl, Good to hear about the car and the update on the job too! So nice that you have a job that you like with good co-workers!</p>