New Permanent Resident FASFA Income Reporting

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<p>First some information, I am a relatively new immigrant - permanent resident - to the U.S, I arrived here in April of 2012. I am applying to graduate school in Michigan and want to apply to FASFA. First when asking about my income, I did not make more than 10,000$ and the company issued me with a 1099-MISC, which has my 2012 earned income, I have not filed my taxes yet because the company slacked off and just gave me the 1099. My parents are not U.S citizens or Immigrants, I am the only one from my family that jumped on the boat so to speak.</p>

<p>My questions:
1) What should I report for my income and can I use the 1099 without the tax returns and then update the FASFA?
2) My parents will not be helping me with the tuition and have never filed taxes in the U.S what should I report in the application?
2) Since I have been in the US for less than a year does that diminish my chances for FA i.e am I eligible for FASFA?</p>

<p>The application process and all these dates and forms can be a little daunting so THANK YOU!!!!</p>

<p>As a grad student, you are classified as independent for the FAFSA.</p>

<p>If your only income was reported with a 1099-misc, then you will need to file the Form 1040, Schedule C, and Schedule SE. At [Internal</a> Revenue Service](<a href=“”> follow the links at the right hand side of the page for information about free e-filing. TurboTax is fairly easy to use, and I expect that the other options are as well. Just follow their instructions.</p>

<p>You may not owe any income tax, but you will certainly owe self-employment tax. You also may owe state and/or city income tax, so check the websites for the state and/or city tax offices. Many of those have free e-filing as well.</p>

<p>Welcome to the USA, and best wishes for a good new life here!</p>


You could be a dual-status alien. See [Taxation</a> of Dual-Status Aliens](<a href=“]Taxation”></p>

<p>One of many restrictions for filing dual-status tax returns is you cannot use the standard deduction allowed on Form 1040.</p>