New to college searching...

<p>I'm a junior in HS, I have good grades, good EC's, test scores etc. I'm not so much worried about where I have chances or how much tuition is yet, but I want to decide which colleges to start looking at and narrow down my list.
I really do not want any part of any of the Ivy League schools. I just want a really good education at a school that is prestigious but not hard as hard as somewhere like Yale or Harvard to get in.
The colleges I have been thinking about are Amherst, Boston College, Davidson (NC), Duke, Georgetown SFS, Holy Cross, University of Chicago, UNC Chapel Hill Honors, Washington and Lee, and Williams. I have visited both Williams and Georgetown and loved them both. I honestly believe that I have chances at all the colleges I listed above.
I really like the idea of a liberal arts education because I want to be a lawyer and the critical thinking skills are invaluable. I also like the idea of a broader learning, and I have read about how grad schools like liberal arts grads. But I also heard that universities can sometimes supply grads with more opportunities such as internships.
When I grow up I would like to be an international attorney dealing with corporations and human rights, and perhaps I would like to settle down and work with family law (I know- its kind of broad). I would also like to major in history since it is something I am really passionate about.
What are your suggestions? I'm sorry if I'm being really vague, but I would like some opinions on the colleges I have listed instead of just relying on internet research. Thanks!</p>

<p>Tufts really promotes internationalism. I think Bill Richardson, who attended the school, had a really strong foreign policy partly because he attended Tufts. It's a really good school despite the fact that it's not as prestigious as maybe Harvard. In fact, Tufts also makes you learn two languages (OK, there are other options, but if you want to, you can take two different languages or take culture classes or take more advanced classes in one language.) </p>

<p>Mind you, however, that Tufts is not easy to get into, but it's manageable. The admission rate is ~25%.</p>

<p>Since you've got Davidson and Washington & Lee on your list, I suggest adding Rhodes as a match.</p>

<p>All the schools you list are very well respected; however, they are also extremely popular and competitive. I don't know your stats but you might want to add a college that you are sure to get into, like a state school where your gpa and SAT scores are competitive.</p>

<p>Instead of adding Tufts (yet another reach), I'd recommend adding a couple more safeties. Rhodes is a good option. </p>

<p>How about Fordham? It's similar to BC and Georgetown.</p>

<p>Amherst and Williams are just as hard to get into as Harvard and Yale. Their admit rates aren't significantly different.</p>

<p>You need to look at a number of less competitive schools, and find a safety that you can love.</p>

<p>Also look at Dickinson, Lafayette, Richmond and Denison.</p>

<p>Emory & Rice</p>

<p>why not just apply to an ivy just for fun?
I think that amherst is a good alternative to an ivy if that really isn't for you. It's still tough though so don't just blow it off.</p>

<p>omg mkoeste1 we're admissions twinsies... :D If you investigate more of the colleges on your list, do you think you could PM me with your opinion? It seems like we could be interested in some of the same schools, and I'm not able to visit a lot of colleges. </p>

<p>Rhodes is good, but just as a warning- it's stranded in the middle of a mediocre neighboorhood in the middle of midtown Memphis with very little in the way of public transportation and a near certainty of death due to stupid drivers or mugging if you try to get someplace without a car (I stayed there for a program once). The Rhodes pamphlets do not convey this, of course. However, it has an AMAZING library, a good solid liberal arts program and a really gorgeous campus- just it might be wise to either plan on obtaining a ride somehow (bring a car, borrow a friend's) or staying on campus a lot.</p>