New York - Has anyone heard of Monroe College?

<p>I am trying to find information about the school because obviously the school itself will tell you that they're great. I'm interested in knowing about their culinary programs, and their hospitality programs as well. Does anyone know any information about this school?</p>

<p>If it matters, it would be the New Rochelle campus.</p>

<p>Finally, a college in the US--in the northeast, no less :) -- that I have NEVER heard of.</p>

<p>Monroe is an excellent community college....in Rochester.</p>

<p>You might want to check this out:
Alumna</a> sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com</p>

<p>
[quote]
You might want to check this out:
Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I heard about this but it's just ridiculous. If you can't find a job, that's not the school's fault. A higher education is there to train you for a job, and provide knowledge so that you can work in that field. Also, she had a 2.7 GPA. If you can't land a job with that GPA, it was your fault because you didn't study hard enough. I'm sure if she attended this school and had a 3.0+ GPA, she would've done better than she did. Either way, she's suing them because their Office of Career Advancement didn't help her get a job. Seriously? She's expecting them to do all the work for her while she stands there with a 2.7 GPA. No wonder no employer will hire her.</p>

<p>So does anyone else know about this school?</p>

<p>I heard of it. My cousin lives in New Rochelle and wants to do the Culinary program too. It seems easy to get in to but seems to have a fine Culinary program. I don't really know much about it.</p>

<p>I pass it frequently, on my way home from the movies at New Roc.
And I met someone who taught a course there, unrelated to your interests.
so I guess I've heard of it.</p>

<p>But that's the extent of what I know. The school gets no press whatsoever, even here 10 minutes away from it.</p>

<p>Do you guys think that the lack of.. I guess acknowledgement, would mean that this school isn't that great? Like getting an education worth the money, finding a job once graduating, etc.?</p>

<p>I hate to say it but Monroe is not too far from my office and the only thing I know about it is they have a small sign at an exit on the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx and the story mentioned above about them being sued by a former student. There is just not a lot of public recognition of the school. I can't say that would hurt job prospects but it also may not help. If you are interested in the culinary or hospitality industry, there are better options.</p>

<p>Do you live in that area? Do you have any restrictions that limit you to that college?</p>

<p>Monroe is a for-profit school. I would stay away.</p>

<p>CUNY City Tech closed their hospitality program for the upcoming semester, and CIA (Culinary Institute of America) is quite expensive. The other institutes, such as Cordon Bleu, are also quite expensive..so yes, there are limits. Monroe College would be a full ride if I attended two semesters per year (they're a tri-semester school). Also, I don't want to go out of state..staying in the NYC area is my preference.</p>

<p>So the idea is to stay away?</p>

<p>I think if Monroe is your best or only option, it is better to go there than to not go to school at all. I think the point most of us were making was that relative to other colleges, Monroe may not be the best option assuming you had other choices.</p>

<p>My 2 cents would be follow up more, visit, talk to people recently or imminently graduating from the program to see what they have been able to do from it, talk to college job office and department faculty about recruiting and tracking of student employment offers after the program, get some satisfaction that this would be a productive use of time and money.</p>

<p>About 10 years ago I had occasion to meet an administrator at the Bronx campus of Monroe for a professional/business matter. My exposure to the academic operations of Monroe were peripheral, but I was very impressed by the dedication of the faculty to their students. A community college operation is likely a good description, but I belive they do give Bachelors also. Clearly, they serve a very different population than the people who typically cruise on CollegeConfidential. But from what I gather, they serve their clientele very well, career-wise.</p>