Newbie questions about 24/7 caregivers: legal questions, etc.

<p>Whoops, missed the edit window. Let me do that again:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Pre-approval. That is not the same thing as approval.
Approval will take more time but can’t happen without a signed contract. The longer you have to wait for him to sign it, the longer it will take to close.</p>

<p>Ok, I don’t want to confuse, but it does sound like your agent is telling you to sit tight. (Collective groans.)</p>

<p>She says, it “can take a week or more.” Over here in CC land, where we’ve been waiting for the contract and deposit, we’re saying, what week?, the clock has already been ticking. So what I would have asked her is: “What is a reasonable date to expect paperwork to hit my hands?” (Or your attorney’s hands.) Today is Friday- that could be this afternoon or Monday- or what? Assuming they truly were waiting for the tank soil report, the ball should now seriously be rolling, to get all the last pieces (and steps) in place. </p>

<p>It seems she keeps assuring you this is a good deal, he wants to follow through. Her business rests on her competence and ethics. She isn’t making a mint in commission, this isn’t a mansion, so I have to believe she wants to be done with it. She seems assured enough not to be lowering the price, scheduling another open house, etc. </p>

<p>What may be an issue is that you have been learning as you go (you aren’t the first,) there have been lots of questions, there has been lots of info passed back and forth, likely some has clouded things. Partly, it can always be like this. But right now, with your agent, stay as focused on the real estate related process- and only the RE process- as you can. Nothing more about your mom’s needs or her move or finances or your mom-tasks/schedule. And your prior experience was as a buyer, not a seller, so your leverage was different.</p>

<p>Homestead Funding is a NY mortgage company. The Title research is a needed verification search, the 3rd party in charge will know what to do, if there are any issues. I do not think YOU need to verify the EPA stuff is closed, but jym can weigh in. I think that’s your agent. </p>

<p>If I were you I would be faxing that clearance letter PRONTO, TODAY, NOW to your realtor and get her to MOVE THIS ALONG! You need the $ and if the potential buyer has gotten cold feet or found another property you are gonna be in a cashflow problem. The “its moving along- be patient” line from your realtor is NOT supported by any evidence. There should have been a contract signed by now. I agree-- something doesn’t pass the smell test.
And yes-- be sure the spill is CLOSED on the NYDEC website.</p>

<p>And, sign with Clancy. You don’t have time to mess around. Get them to have things completed by X o’clock. if your mother is ready to be discharged, do not drive her to the AL in until several hours after that time (in the event they need an extra hour or so.) Or the next day. If she won’t be discharged on the 28th, fine.</p>

<p>Not everything she needs has to go with Clancy. The priority is the heavy stuff and what she needs initially. Travelnut is right, set things up in a welcoming, pretty and familiar way. But you can bring the rest of her towels on another day. You can pack the knick-knacks, vases and photos and a few coffee cups and plates, the bathroom rug, etc, drive them over, put them in place, hang her art, make her bed, set her TV Guide and remote by her tv chair, etc. </p>

<p>Don’t you also have to arrange for the cable tv to work in her room? Thats usually handled on an individual basis. If your facility provides it to all residents, that great. But its another detail to check.</p>

<p>Agree with LF- Keep priorities straight. The Bid from Clancy seems reasonable. This isn’t the time to dicker over $200.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>OK, so it can take a week to get a signed contract once the contract is in the buyer’s agent’s hands. How come it took a month to get to the buyer’s agent’s hands?</p>

<p>Yes “I” is the first letter of the attorney’s first name.</p>

<p>Very interesting developments. You know I wrote a strong but respectful email to our attorney and realtor early this morning asking them to prod things along. At 9:30 am till 1 I was at my mother’s house while the Estate Sale women priced the items for sale. My cell phone has been missing calls and now is obviously broken. Both the attorney and realtor called my husband because they couldn’t reach with bizarre news. Early this morning, my attorney received a call from the buyer’s attorney’s ASSISTANT that the buyer wishes to renegotiate the price to $210,000 (from $220,000) This is shocking and absurd. We have “stood” at $220,0000 for weeks. The realtor was unhappy that the buyer made this new offer to his attorney, not to his realtor. My realtor and my husband said they would counter offer at $215,000. I said NO! and told my husband that I would ask our realtor to communicate with both, if possible, the buyer’s realtor and attorney and INSIST to get through to them today that we will accept $210,000 if the buyer signs the contract on Wednesday, gives his lawyer the deposit on Wednesday, and that the attorney overnight the signed contract and deposit to my attorney, and I can sign it on Friday. I also said I wanted an IMMEDIATE agreement yes or no that the buyer would sign on Wednesday (or before of course), because a no means of that the buyer has been playing games. I said I wanted an answer tomorrow, and that I would under no circumstances wait for an answer till Tuesday. The realtor said she would communicate this to the other party (the realtor and/or the attorney, I don’t know , but the realtor certainly). The realtor said she had never seen anything like this happen before.</p>

<p>My husband and the realtor wanted to counter at $215,000 but this countering has been going on and on and would only lead to more and worse delays. A difference of $10,000 is of less importance than a deal made and closed as quickly as possible. </p>

<p>My husband and I yelled at each other over the phone, but he conceded that it was up to me to take control, because there was no way he and I could compromise. He said $215,00; I said $210,000 and a signed contract on Wednesday.</p>

<p>I delivered copies of the 8 page soil clearance test results at 9 am to both the realtor and attorney and I presume one or the other or both faxed copies to the other end. </p>

<p>Your thoughts?</p>

<p>jym626, I will go to the NYDEC site now.</p>

<p>You can tell the realtors you will accept 215 if he signs TODAY and they each eat $2500 off their fee. Your realtor seems to have dropped the ball. </p>

<p>jym626, I went to the NYDEC site and researched petroleum spill data base and their was no record on the results page at all about my mother’s property.</p>

<p>It is there. Do you have the spill # that was assigned? Type in the county. The list of spills comes up. Its easy to see what was listed around the date you said the test was done. I am guessing I can figure out which one it is.</p>

<p>I can’t impel him to sign today because he may be traveling or something, although I suppose it could all be done by fax and so forth. But I must respect that all the attorneys and realtors have other clients and it is already late. I will just be immensely glad if the buyer’s end gets the terms I have outlined today, that they can get through to each other by phone or email, contact the buyer, and perhaps even reply to me by the end of the day. But now I have only 45 minutes to fill out this contract with the moving company, pick up/drop off my daughters and get to the moving co before they close…</p>

<p><a href=“Environmental Remediation Databases”>Environmental Remediation Databases;

<p><a href=“Spill Incidents Database Search”>Spill Incidents Database Search;

<p>I don’t have the soil l number but the page said if you don’t have the spill number, fill in the full address , town, and county. I did that. There was one spill listed for a property in my town. My mother’s spill wasn’t listed. If you think I should look or dig further, I can get the spill number from the oil company or simply see if it is on the report that came reporting no soil contamination.</p>

<p>Hogwash. Take the upper hand. Tell him you want him to assign POA to his attorney to sign the contract TODAY and he can follow up with a personal signature on Monday. And try to see if the realtors will eat some of their fee. They sure havent done much. Be a little firmer. </p>

<p>I believe your mothers spill is there. Put in the county and the date Oct 1 to present</p>

<p>I prefer not to get into a backchannel conversation but I am pretty sure I can figure out the spill # from what you’ve shared in the past, and will pm it if you cant find it.</p>

<p>jym626, dealing with AL people has affected my brain and I have seen how crazy-busy people can be. At one AL, trying to get heard by someone, crowded by a bevy of people, I was somewhat rudely told to “back off.” If I contact my realtor again I think it would be offensive. Not to mention, if I made any changes to the way things stand now, my husband would be furious with me, for as I said, he is not happy with the course of action I took. </p>

<p>But I love your indignation and wish you could do it for me!</p>

<p>Your realtor wants a response-- you have to provide it. So DO IT. In 10 words or less.</p>

<p>jym626, okay if you want to, but why bother? I can simply call the oil company and look at the report.</p>

<p>GOT to get to that mover’s contract now.</p>

<p>Its not about the report-- its about being sure at some point (again, it happens on Fridays) the spill number is removed/spill is closed.</p>

<p>Focus NOW on the mover and the house contract.</p>