<p>I’ve sent you what I suspect, given all the info you’ve shared over the past few months, is likely the spill #. I could be wrong but I am thinking that is it. PRIORITY now is getting the mover set up and the contract signed.</p>
<p>Dharma, read my lips: you don’t have to respect anybody. Not their other clients, not whether his wife calls him to dinner at 6 sharp. </p>
<p>They need to respect YOU.
Yes, today is almost done. Some deal that is beneficial to you, like $215 if he signs by Monday at noon. If you really don’t care, then 210 by Monday noon. Not 1pm.<br>
Put that ball is HIS court. HE has to feel some urgency. </p>
<p>I did like the spirit in that post. You hear yourself say No?</p>
<p>Right now, your biggest challenge is to focus with fire. Those boys can work an extra hour or two. I suspect several of us will have different ideas what your price stand should be. Yes, you will need to make that decision. We’ll help you through your ideas, if needed. </p>
<p>A lot of this thread has touched on respect. Not the nicey sort, where but where parties each get what they want/need, whether it’s within families, between negotiators, a business and client, or in other situations. You have conceded enough, it’s a strain, let them have a sense of urgency. </p>
<p>This needs to be said: if you lose this deal, lower the price. Pronto. I can only make a suggestion. $235 and you tell them that’s a 15k concession against the unknown figure to fix the septic. </p>
<p>We’re listening.</p>
<p>I may not understand all of NY real estate, what can and can’t be done after offer is accepted. I would be compelled to ‘ignore’ the request for $10K dropped price. If the two realtors want to make up the difference out of their commission…why can’t this all just move forward?</p>
<p>I get the impression that this is a desirable property and buyer does want it. Just trying to pull a fast one…</p>
<p>Here is a possibility:</p>
<p>Because the $250,000 price was never lowered so as to attract other buyers, and because the buyer is aware that you need to sell soon, he may feel that it can’t hurt to ask for yet another concession. (After all, with no contract in hand, and no other buyers coming around, who else are you going to sell it to?) </p>
<p>What if you drop the price immediately to $235,000, and see if it lights a fire under him? </p>
<p>I came to post what others have already said: Lower the price. I’d lower it to $230K.</p>
<p>As to this bottomfeeding buyer, I’d say NO. Just NO. I wouldn’t counter, because that suggests you are going to negotiate. The time for negotiation with this buyer is over. All you want to see from him is his signature at the bottom of the contract to buy the house for $220,000. If you agree to $210,000, he’s going to come back with $200,000. Don’t negotiate with yourself.</p>
<p>Your bungling agent allowed this to happen, by letting this bottomfeeder string you along for a month. It’s time for her to get off her incompetent and/or lazy butt and start finding other buyers, as she should have been doing all along.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>You have to expect that people who are paid to work for you will work for you. It’s up to them to juggle their other clients and their outside lives to do the work they are being paid by you to do.</p>
<p>Agreed. They will organize their priorities and deadlines. Its common that real estate stuff happens at the 11th hour. But if a seller doesnt push to make theirs a priority, it will fall to page 2.</p>
<p>Dharma, you are being too deferential. </p>
<p>You are the client!<br>
All of these folks-- the realtor, the attorney, the movers etc.-- they are working for you!</p>
<p>I simply do not understand why the realtor has not been aggressively marketing the property and has allowed the price to stay so high for so long. But you are the client! You can decide the listing price-- you can lower it if you want to.</p>
<p>This not-yet-a-buyer keeps lowering his offer, and may go lower yet. He is hoping that you are desperate enough to agree.</p>
<p>You need plan B-- “B” for more buyers looking at the house. JMO of course!</p>
<p>
/the dates used on the page covered 10/242013 to 10/24/2014 any only one location in my town was listed Okay and will report back and double-check with the oil company. They are open 24/7. Not sure why you think so, but will not question but follow up…</p>
<p>{quote} Your realtor wants a response-- you have to provide it. So DO IT. In 10 words or less.
[quote]
</p>
<p>Not sure what you mean here, but sorry to quote at length from my earlier post,this afternoon I DID summarize what I quess you might call the “response” my realtor wanted…but in truth, she wanted no response.She had had no contact with the buyer’s realtor in over a week and was content to let the two lawyers handle the back and forth of contracts When I spoke to her this evening I wanted HER to respond to ME. She was content, it seems with the progress of events-until this morning, after my attorney valiantly called the buyer’s attorney AGAIN and learned from an ASSISTANT that the buyer had circumvented his realtor and asked his attorney to lower the price to $210,000 (see, jym626 I got it right this time). . Everything I wrote in the PP below I communicated by phone to the realtor in our talk this afternoon, and as I wrote earkuer, she said she would use powerful exertion to get through to the realtor and…or attorney with which are essentially my…demands. .</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>After I talked to the realtor, I emailed the attorney and told him the steps I had asked Judy to take–Wednesday signing ultimatum at $210,00, overnight delivery on Thursday, etc. I asked him, would he tell me, as a professional, if I had made a blunder or had made a wise decision?</p>
<p>I has so very happy and proud at his response that (he was very frank) he was extremely discouraged and amazed at the other lawyer’s unprofessionalism, that the buyer approached the lawyer with a counter-offer and not the realtor, and that vis a vis the non response to phone calls he had never experienced such incompetence. He PRAISED me for the steps I had taken, called the office and spoke he said “forefully” to a paralegal who will arrange everything, that the contract be signed by Wed pm, the deposit be sent, etc. We have to wait and see if that indeed happens.</p>
<p>If this falls through, I will certainly insist that the realtor market the house aggressively–open houses, calls to other realtors, aggressive marketing. LasMa had many good suggestions. My husband told me tonight that financially we can wait for a sale. </p>
<p>Wow, I just finished, drove my 11 year old to a Halloween dance, and see there is a full page of new posts. I will send this and respond to the new posts.</p>
<p>Thanks to everyone who is contributing.</p>
<p>
Is this an assumption? How doe you know this? And why did you give the atty til Weds? And I’d also tell your realtor in no uncertain terms that you expect her to contribute to making this deal work. How long are yo stuck with her?</p>
<p>As for the spill #, you have to set the date range or it will just show today. I Pm’ed you the spill #. Track it by the spill #. I am pretty sure thats it.</p>
<p>Sorry, I have tried several frustrating times to correct the grey shading but I cannot find my mistake. On to respond to recent commments.</p>
<p>Have to agree. Your realtor dropped the ball.</p>
<p>Why DID you give them till Wednesday? </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This is without a doubt true. If circumstances had acted more favorably we would have gotten $250 for the house, even maybe more.</p>
<p>CTmom, my husband says it ISN’T too late to start over and set the house at $235,00, but frankly my husband is good with money in some ways, not good in other ways. We have taken out–I think unnecessarily–a large loan WITH interest–and we already have a large mortgage, one sophomore in college with loans, two to go, and my husband is already 62. And we have credit card debt.The future is a mystery, and I am very resentful with my husband (I insert a personal note) that he has not taken the responsible care to make me fully aware of where things are/ what we’ve got / things of this nature. This is a bad thing for a ontrolling husband to do, but certainly that is way way OT. We paid more for our house than it is worth. I must have time to help my very gifted HS JR with college and get this mother into AL and house sale business over. We must get this done soon. If it means a weasel gets a steal at $210,000, if we can sign contracts THIS week, I must weigh the pros and cons and accept this. If is unfortunate that we found a buyer with whom we agreed on a price of $220,000,who then (for what perverse reason?) asked his attorney (not his realtor) to "renegotiate–why? to $210,000. This is an unstable person. </p>
<p>MY MIL is 94 in a NH, but my mother at 88, going into AL, is actually much weaker physically (not mentally). My MIL can walk; my mother can’t. The monthly cost fir mother’s AL is $7,000. I must get her situated and get the peace of mind that her rental can be paid asap. I do not think she will live many more years, even perhaps go soon.</p>
<p>As for asking negotiators to do things now, tomorrow, right now, I have already laid out today with the realtor and the attorney about how I expect, indeed demand, how things progress next week. I would not be a good “team player” if I tried to make changes or make new demands. Its been nice to see, my attorney comes out as a REALLY great guy in all this, but I knew that already.</p>
<p>While the Estate sales women were pricing things, I pointed out to my visiting friend that my mother was taking a two piece hutch (Yes, I measured, it fits). My friend opened the door, and course she was right–I should have known–she said you MUST remove all these legal documents and many personal documents from the hutch–it is crammeed–before it goes to AL because my mother is in no frame of mind to deal with an of it. Of course, I will be dealing with her mail and bills from now on. So after I went to the movers, exhausted after a long day, I hauled to the car about eight boxes from the wine store into which to put all these documents from the hutch (which will be moved on Tuesday). It will mean hours of sorting, saving, and discarding Sat pm, Sun pm and and Mon. on my second rushed trip to collect boxes I fell badly on the steps an badly scrapped one of my ankles-bleeding etc. So it goes. </p>
<p>To add to the frustration, the move-in director of the AL assured me on Wed that she would call me Thurs or Fri pm wirh detailed move-in instructions. She did not. I left her a voice mail, in case she is in on Sat or Sun. I know Monday is her day off.</p>
<p>
[quote]
Is this an assumption? How doe you know this? And why did you give the atty til Weds? And I’d also tell your realtor in no uncertain terms that you expect her to contribute to making this deal work. How long are yo stuck with her?</p>
<p>As for the spill #, you have to set the date range or it will just show today. I Pm’ed you the spill #. I am pretty sure thats it.{/quote]</p>
<p>It is not an assumption. The easy-going realtor saw no reason to contact the buyer’s realtor because the current issue was that the contracts were in the hands of the buyers. Why did I give the buyer an ultimatum of Wednesday? Simply because I thought of his human needs–he is an older man–possibly commitments with growing chidren, travel/business…I thought Wednesday–that is it. Am I stuck with the realtor? All the rest I know are worse, and until quite recently I was very pleased with her. If the deal falls through, naturally I will have to stay on top of her with open houses, aggressive marketing,sharing with other realtors, etc. But I think I said that all before. </p>
<p>I will look at your PM now jym626, and examine what you refer me to. Many thanks.</p>
<p>Dharma, just saying, all this concern for others isn’t producing the results you want.<br>
If he wants to buy your house, if he has a mortgage lined up, a lawyer and etc, he needs to complete. His age, all this deference, all this projecting, maybe he;s traveling, maybe he has kids, etc, doesn’t get you one step closer to your needs and goals. </p>
<p>These are (your) choices.
Sorry</p>
<p>Dharma, I agree that you should not contact your realtor again and change your offer deadlines. However I also agree with LasMa in #792 that your realtor has dropped the ball on handling the sale of your mother’s house. I believe you have stated what a great realtor she is, but the version we are reading here would not justify that description of her. </p>
<p>It’s way past time to keep waiting for this buyer and it’s time to play hardball. Contact your realtor TONIGHT, drop the price on the house, and tell her you expect a plan to get more people looking at the property. Remember, she is working for you - you are the boss! This buyer is NOT in hand, and by dropping the price, you may get a better offer before your Wednesday deadline. Let this buyer shake in his boots a bit when he knows that the house (with a new lower price) is being shown to others. Right now, the ball is in his court, and he knows it.</p>
<p>You have been consumed with many things over the last few months, but you need to take this action - today. It’s one short phone call (not email, she needs to hear your firm tone) where you state your expectations.</p>
<p>Dharma, it’s not too late to lower the price, because YOU DON’T HAVE THIS BUYER! He has not signed anything. He has strung you along for a month. You have no reason to believe that this time he will sign. You should not trust him, his lawyer, or his agent. </p>
<p>You have to have a Plan B, because you can’t be confident Plan A is working. Plan B is lower the price significantly, so that people notice. Get the realtor to start doing her job. So far, she has priced the house too high, then accepted the lying assurances of the other agent that the buyer is about to sign. You need her to step up to the plate. Lower the price.</p>
<p>PS: Stop trying to be a team player. You are the coach. You tell other people what to do.</p>
<p>If this was my real estate agent, I’d be having a significant conversation with the supervising broker. </p>
<p>Dharma – you do not have to go through those papers from the hutch anytime soon. Not your priority at the moment. Sending you the mojo. </p>
<p>I’m sorry you had a fall, thank goodness it was not a worse injury!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The potential buyer is a shrewd person. He knows you need to sell fast, he sees that the price is still so high that it is keeping away any other buyers who might compete with him, and he is taking maximum advantage of the situation to get the house for the least money he can.<br>
</p>
<p>You are not supposed to be a team player! You are the team leader. The team exists solely to meet your goal: selling your mother’s house. Take the lead! </p>
<p>Here are some good reasons to drop the price right away:</p>
<ol>
<li><p>It may bring other buyers to look at the house or make an offer.<br>
Think it won’t happen? You won’t know until you drop the price. We made a written offer on our house less than 24 hours after we saw it.</p></li>
<li><p>The potential buyer and his Realtor will know that you are actively seeking other buyers.<br>
This in itself may stop him from trying to knock his offer down even lower, or further delaying giving you a signed contract. </p></li>
<li><p>If the potential buyer doesn’t give you a signed $210,000 contract by your deadline, no further time will have been wasted in seeking another buyer. </p></li>
</ol>
<p>There is no reason not to drop the price now.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>This buyer is neither perverse nor unstable. He wants to get the house at the lowest possible price. He is not on your side! I don’t think highly of his tactics, which is why if it were me I’d insist on the $220K, but if your doormat of an agent is going to allow him to walk all over her (and you), he will do it.</p>