Niagara Falls Tries To Attract Young Residents With Promise To Help Repay Student Loans

<p>“It’s not unheard of for a corporation, non-profit organization or even the federal government to entice prospective employees with the promise to repay their student loans in exchange for a certain number of years of work. The city of Niagara Falls appears to be taking that idea and making it its own; offering to repay a portion of recent graduates’ student loans in exchange for living in the city for two years.” …</p>

<p><a href=“Niagara Falls Tries To Attract Young Residents With Promise To Help Repay Student Loans – Consumerist”>http://consumerist.com/2014/12/09/niagara-falls-tries-to-attract-young-residents-with-promise-to-help-repay-student-loans/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>That is nice incentive…but the long term effect will be that folks go there for two years, get the loan repayment and leave. The city needs to do something to give these young, new residents a reason to stay…and that is not happening.</p>

<p>It would make someone wonder what’s so bad about living at Niagara Falls. I’ve actually been there recently so I believe I get it. It’s like South of the Border with lake effects snow.</p>

<p>If I read the article correctly, they will pay up to $7,000 in loans if you stay for two years. IMO, that’s not all that much of an incentive – especially if one’s earning capacity is much larger in other cities.</p>

<p>You’d have to really have your back against the wall to move to a Superfund site for 7k. I’d rather live in my parents’ basement for a year.</p>

<p>The only redeeming quality Niagara Falls has is that it’s only an hour or so to Toronto.</p>

<p>Niagara Falls, NY is economically depressed and crime-ridden. I don’t know why anyone would be interested in moving there for any amount of money.</p>

<p>WOW!!</p>

<p><a href=“Niagara Falls Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout”>The page you were looking for doesn't exist (404);

<p>OK - I was born and raised there, and moved away almost 40 years ago when I left for college. My HS class recently had its 40th reunion and I have to say I was surprised by the number of people still living there. I drove through town over Thanksgiving, and seeing the shuttered plants, and neighborhoods that are literally falling apart, was depressing. My parents moved to Grand Island and I have a sister living in Buffalo. so just a few miles away, things are better. Unless the city discovers a new source of jobs, it is unlikely the trend can be reversed. The primary employer in the Falls seems to be the outlet mall, with the ever growing strip of fast food restaurants and big box retailers a close second. I know the casino was meant to be a draw, but I think it made things worse. It’s a shame - Niagara University is a lovely campus, and the hydroelectric plant is still there, but that’s pretty much it. Though I applaud the effort and wish things were different in my hometown, I can’t imagine anyone volunteering to move there…and certainly not to cover $7,000 in loans. </p>