No clubs- big deal?

<p>I'm incredibly indifferent towards school activities, and as a result I haven't joined/had leadership positions in clubs (everyone knows that clubs are essentially time-wasters and app-padders at my school).</p>

<p>However, I have 70+ hours volunteering outside of school, overall SAT score that is well above the 75th percentile of 2140, 5 AP's thru 11th grade, and a GPA in the middle 50% range (lower end though).</p>

<p>Should my lack of extracurriculars worry me, re: getting into Tech?</p>

<p>Yes. Some clubs do a lot of good, and they are ways to test and demonstrate leadership. Why should GT let you be a part of the campus community if you have not been a part of your high school community?</p>

<p>You sound not indifferent but actually against joining & participating in clubs and organizations.</p>

<p>Not sure if I would 'completely agree' with GPBurdell ... </p>

<p>If it's REALLY true that all the clubs in your school are 'useless' (for the lack of a better term based on your description), then I understand that you wouldn't want to participate. </p>

<p>However (and that is a BIG 'however'), if you were a well-rounded young person, you'd look for some activity outside the school to participate in some community-activities, sports, or similar activities. Well - have you? </p>

<p>Your 70+ hours (not too impressive in my opinion) seem to indicate that your involvement was minor only ... so I 'fear' that GPBurdell had a point ...</p>

<p>I have to agree. Schools want to know that you bring more to campus than just your classroom ability. In addition, they want to avoid people that have good GPAs in high school simply because they study 24/7 (these people will have a hard time in college when the difficulty is increased a notch). </p>

<p>If the clubs at your school really are a waste, why not start a new one? Or work a part-time job? Or start a business?</p>

<p>I think if you are invested in the volunteer work, that means just as much.</p>

<p>My question was more if clubs specifically are necessary in the eyes of Ga Tech, or if having at least some involvement anywhere is enough to keep the 'well-roundedness' section of the app from holding you back if everything else is good enough (besides volunteering, I played a few years of organized sports btw). I have to imagine that a school like Georgia Tech is more concerned with ability than sociability, but that's just a stereotype of mine.</p>

<p>and @Burdell, you're pretty correct about my being against joining clubs lol. I really am bored of the whole high school thing, and I cannot stand the grinder types who inhabit all the clubs, and on top of their being essentially insubstantial app-padders they are verrrrry unattractive to me.</p>

<p>I would argue that having many extracurricular activities is more about time management, having a passion, and being ambitious than it is about social ability. </p>

<p>You could lock yourself in a chemistry lab performing experiments, be a national master at chess, or develop an online company with little meaningful interaction with others.</p>

<p>If you had considerable community service, that could work as well. But 70 hours really isn't much to counter doing nothing else.</p>