Not visiting = lack of interest = rejection

<p>I just found out that one college on my son's list is big on visiting and on-campus interview if the applicant is located reasonably close to the college. We are over 5 hours away from this college, and because of an illness in the family and obligations, we have not been able to visit. Son did indicate this on his app. Past posts on the college's forum (I'd rather not mention the college) seem to support that not visiting and interview mean lack of interest and therefore, rejection. Apparently, this college has a low yield (low 20%'s) and is trying to manage it better.</p>

<p>I wonder if this is a successful tactic to manage yield? On the other hand, they could very well be rejecting an otherwise interested applicant who just may not have the resources to visit.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Wash U in St Louis and Northwestern are notorious for doing this.
Unfortunately they don't tell you this up front. Just take your money.</p>

<p>5 hours away from a school and the applicant had many, many months to visit -- so I can see where a lack of a visit can be construed as a lack of real interest. I think you may find that it does negatively impact your son. </p>

<p>I find it hard to believe that he could not find time to visit a school that is within a day's drive (a long day, but still) when he has surely been looking at college possibilities for about a year. You may have perfectly valid reasons, but I am just telling you how I see it -- and how a college who is concerned about yield and demonstrated interest will see it.</p>

<p>Yes, I can definitely see your point but he "discovered" this school later in the college process and we had meant to visit when the family member's illness struck. By the time we could manage arrangements, this college was fully booked for interviews and would no longer accomodate him. A lesson learned, I guess.</p>

<p>Most colleges have more than one measure of "demonstrated interest." Visiting and attending an info session/tour, even without an interview, for example. He could still do this, although he would have to somehow let them know since I presume he wouldn't have checked this box on his app. Did the college do info sessions at his hs or in your area? If so, did he attend those? Has he had contacts with any students, faculty, coaches, Music Directors, etc.? </p>

<p>All of those count at most schools who are yield-worried.</p>

<p>Two excellent schools both within 6 hours drive from us. One of them we visited and DD showed a lot of interest in one of their programs. She even asked for a 2nd interview because she was very ill at the time of her 1st interview. </p>

<p>I made her add the second one on her list and she felt she had the worst interview among all her 5 interviews. We did not visit nor had any communication other than application.</p>

<p>She got into both RD via early notification. You draw your own conclusions.</p>

<p>jmmon - Yes, he did have contact with an admissions rep in a college fair near our town. Although he thinks it is too late now, he plans to send an email explaining why he was unable to visit and why he remains interested in the college.</p>

<p>Dad II - I guess it truly depends on the college on how yield-worried they are. Some colleges have such high yields that they do not care at all about "show of interest."</p>

<p>Sigh, the trials and tribulations of college admissions, intertwined with life's realities like illness, coping, timing, etc.</p>

<p>I went to a school's website that said they don't do interviews for Jrs. until such and such a date. i called, and they were happy to "break the rules" as it were</p>

<p>If if they said they had no room, you show up anyway!!! Many people make reservations and don't show and if you are there, in their face, they won't turn you away...not usually</p>

<p>One school said the tour was "full" so we hung arond, joined the tour, and afterwards, went back and said, oh we forgot to sign in, can we do that now? Worked just fine</p>

<p>So if you really just want a tour, show up and sqeeze yourself in</p>

<p>As for interviews, just keep pressing, but in a nice way</p>

<p>citygirlsmom - In his email he is sending tonight, he is going to ask if he can interview with a local alum.</p>

<p>mountains, if the application did not have a place to check-off "met college rep at college fair" , he should mention in his email that he has done this. My opinion (only an opinion and guess) is that if you live 5 hours away, tried for an interview, attended a college fair and spoke with rep... most of these demonstrated interest schools will consider that demonstrated interest.</p>

<p>Asking again for an interview can't hurt.</p>

<p>Where does this school stand on his list of possibles? Safety? Match? Reach? Is he waiting to hear from all schools or has he heard from some?</p>

<p>This is a very very hard time for parents of applicants (probably harder on parents than many of the kids, themselves). It's been awhile for me, but I remember it well, so I know how worried you are. But it will probably all be fine.</p>

<p>This school is a match for him, and yes, he did indicate on his app that he met a college rep at a school fair. He has been accepted to 2 safeties he will gladly attend, so he is okay. He was deferred ED from a reach school and the rest of the decisions are expected end of March/early April. </p>

<p>You're right, it is harder on me. He seems to be more accepting about it than I am.</p>

<p>I think those are all good elements, mountains. I think they will be more worried about "demonstrated interest" from those for whom the school is safety, so that helps. And they know he has already demonstrated interest.</p>

<p>Don't know how you recently learned about the school's yen for visits and interviews, but maybe someone exaggerated the point. Glad he has the two good safeties.</p>

<p>Fingers crossed for mountainson and mom ;).</p>

<p>jmmom - I found it in old, old posts on the college's forum here on CC. The interview thread on the parents forum got me thinking, I guess, so I started digging. I better stop playing detective - I have enough things to worry about as it is! Thanks for the best wishes.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Wash U in St Louis and Northwestern are notorious for doing this.
Unfortunately they don't tell you this up front. Just take your money.

[/quote]

Good friend's D was just accepted a Wash U St. Louis with no visit and no interview. She is not a URM and her scores and ECs where in the school's mid 50% range. We need to be careful about over generalizations.</p>

<p>Some of the "interest-heavy" schools log all contacts from the student, so if your son has some intelligent questions (that can't quickly be answered via the web site, of course) it can't hurt for him to call. For example, he could call to learn more about a major that interests him or about special programs.</p>

<p>Our experience so far:</p>

<p>No visits to any of these schools and accepted to Cornell, Georgetown, Boston College, Notre Dame, UNC. We figured we'd make the visits and spend the $$ if they accepted her. Needless to say, we will be busy in April, but that is a good thing.</p>

<p>We are probably a 4-5 hour drive to Cornell, 4 hour drive to Georgetown, 4 hour drive to BC.</p>

<p>idad: Go figure, My d was just waitlisted; visited Wash U, interviewed, attended two regional info sessions, and had much contact with regional admissions rep, scores in mid 50% range as well...
Strikes against her: NJ female applicant, two others already accepted in her school for multicultural....oh well.....</p>

<p>rodney: Go figure is right. When S1 was applying a few of years ago he was waitlisted or rejected from every one of his match schools and accepted at all his reach schools. I have long since given up trying to make sense of all this admissions stuff.</p>

<p>rodney, sorry to hear D was waitlisted at Wash U.</p>

<p>citygirlsmom is right, if you get told an info session is full, just show up anyway. This happened to us at Wake Forest. We tried to register for the info session by phone and were told it was full. Showed up anyway and told the nice little old lady that we'd most appreciate being squeezed in if they had any way to do it, she said they always saved a few extra spaces for walk-ins. Turned out the session wasn't even full, even with us there. After all that we didn't like Wake Forest and D didn't apply, but...</p>

<p>I've also come to a point in this whole college app process that if my son were rejected from this particular college, I would not necessary attribute it 100% to lack of visit and interview. So many more things come into play. I guess I wanted to make sure he at least increase his chances of acceptance, not diminish it. Email has been sent; I'll update on how this whole thing plays out.</p>