Not wanting for parent to claim as dependent and health coverage

<p>Please clarify.</p>

<p>Is it still possible to get covered under my parent's health insurance next year, if they won't claim me as their dependent in their tax?</p>

<p>I am 22, and started working full-time. Not able to enroll to a health plan until next year.</p>

<p>That is correct for most states. (all?)</p>

<p>But your parent needs to verify this with their employer as it depends on the State, the employer and the insurance company.</p>

<p>I have heard that some states specify that the child must live in the same state as the parent. Now even though my insurance asks all those questions:
1. is your child employed
2. does you child live at home
3. does your child live in XX state</p>

<p>and my answers were yes, no and no
the coverage was still provided.</p>

<p>If you are not offered a health plan through your own job, then under the new health care act in most cases you should be able to stay on your parent's plan even if you are no longer a full time student and even if you are not claimed as their dependent. As chocoholic said, your parents need to check with their provider to make sure that you do not fall under some exception to the rule.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Not able to enroll to a health plan until next year.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>oops, I missed that part. I'm pretty sure that you can stay on your parents if you don't have access to your own employer's insurance.</p>

<p>Where it becomes unclear, is, if its offered by your employer, but you choose to stay on your parents plan. Many companies allow that also, but not all.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Where it becomes unclear, is, if its offered by your employer, but you choose to stay on your parents plan. Many companies allow that also, but not all.

[/quote]

Under the health care act, up until 2014 some plans that were in already in existence at the time the act was passed do not have to keep employees kids on their plans if they are able to get insurance through their own jobs. If you are eligible for insurance through your own job and have not accepted it, you may not be eligible to stay on parent's plan.</p>

<p>There was a thread about this recently. Some posters found their company did allow their kid to stay on the plan in these circumstances. Some I think had just assumed their kids could stay on the plan. The person who started the thread found out his company would not allow his son to stay on the plan as he was eligible for his own company's plan (in fact his company said that any claims paid by the plan since the son had had his job would have to be repaid - fortunately there were none).</p>

<p>It is a complicated situation with different rules depending on whether the plan is grandfathered in under old rules or not. It is very important your parents check with their plan as you don't want to discover once you make a claim that they will not pay it because you are not eligible to be on the plan.</p>

<p>According to my employer, for 2012, children under the age of 26 can remain on their parents' insurance even if they have access to their own employers' insurance. And my employer doesn't do more than legally required for insurance!</p>

<p>The cut off date for all plans being required to allow this is 2014. Some must already allow it, others are not yet required to. It could be that your plan is not grandfathered in so your employer does have to allow it. That is not the case for all plans. On the other thread on this subject there were posters whose plans did allow it and posters whose plans did not. One poster worked in insurance and confirmed that some plans are not yet required to allow it if the child has insurance available at their own workplace. She also said that the grandfather rule varies by company. </p>

<p>It is important that everyone check with their own plan to be sure as the answer will not be the same for everyone.</p>

<p>Here is a link to the other thread. As you will see, several people said their kids could stay on their plan. Others found their kids could not. In post 60, Kelsmom posts some useful links about the subject.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1237179-employed-college-grad-staying-parents-health-insurance-4.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1237179-employed-college-grad-staying-parents-health-insurance-4.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I have been wondering about the phrase "stay on my parents' plan," with emphasis on the word "stay." </p>

<p>What about a kid who is NOT on their parents' plan while in college, but on the college plan? Can they be added to the parents plan under this legislation?</p>

<p>My son dropped out of college at 19 and was dropped from my plan. This was in mid-2010. At the beginning of 2011, I was able to add him to my plan (but not dental as I learned to my $400 detriment) and he can stay on it till he is 26 as long as he is not employed somewhere that has a health plan available to him and he does not marry or have a child. My understanding is that your child can't stay on your plan if their employer offers one that the child is eligible for but that might not be correct.</p>

<p>I believe that a child on a college plan can be added to the parents' plan as well.</p>

<p>Does the federal legislation include the clause that he can't marry or have children? Just curious, I have not heard that restriction on the "until 26" portion of the law. I don't see why that would matter (unless his spouse has health insurance and has selected a "family" plan that would cover him).</p>

<p>According to what I have read, the adult child can be married and stay on the parent insurance (if they are otherwise allowed to stay on the plan). Their spouse and/or child would not be eligible to be on the plan. </p>

<p>My daughter is getting married next year. The current plan is that her fiancee stays on his Mom's plan and our daughter stays on ours. Really hoping they both find good jobs and are able to get their own pretty soon after. It does cost us extra to have her on ours as my husband and son are not on it so the only reason we have the family plan is the +1. (my Husband is retired and on medicare and the company booted all their over 65 retirees a couple of years back.). Her fiancee is an only child so I am guessing his Mom is in the same situation. If one of them gets a job with good benefits it will hopefully be a better deal for them to get on their own plan. </p>

<p>Not holding my breath on the getting a good job front - never seen 2 such disorganized people when it comes to planning their after undergrad future.</p>

<p>I looked up the rule and I was apparently incorrect. The child can be married and have children but neither spouse nor child can be covered under the child's parent's policy. Since I am quite certain that my son won't question me, I am sticking with telling him he can't be married or have a child anyway. I don't want him married or parenting yet. </p>

<p>He twisted his ankle last week and went to the ER; I took the opportunity to remind him that he is only able to get this treatment because he is single and childless and lucky enough to have a mom with health insurance! Acually, he doesn't live at home and has only a part-time job so he would probably qualify for Medicaid but that makes a lien and it's not an option I want for him as long as there are other alternatives.</p>

<p>Consolation-
our DS was kicked off my employer plan in dec of the year he turned 23. That was correct for that time period and our plan.
I bought him a private health coverage plan for the 'big stuff' hospitalizations, surgeries, etc. He had that for one year as a grad student.
Then, I was able to put him BACK on my plan at age 24 due to the new provisions in health care reform. He finished his masters and is now working but no benefits yet.
He can stay on this time till end of month he turns 26 or when he can obtain coverage through his own employer. Hope that is soon!</p>

<p>I believe the provision for kids up to age 26 went into effect six months after the signing of the legislation. A lot had to do with the date of your policy's open enrollment. I had to deal with my employer on this...DD would have lost her coverage (not a student) at the end of August 2010. The provision went into effect at the end of Sept 2010, and since she would NOT have otherwise had coverage, this was considered an "insurance event" and the open enrollment did not apply. The problem was what to do for the month of September. My employer agreed to keep her on the policy...it would have been more of a headache to drop her, then pick her up again 30 days later...in fact Anthem probably would not have even had her fully OFF before she was going to be added in again.</p>

<p>The best thing for folks to do is talk to human resources or whomever handles insurance where they work. But the provision is currently IN the law to have kids up to 26 remain on their parents' policies regardless of where they live or if they are or are not students.</p>

<p>We do NOT claim our S as a dependent as he draws a substantial salary and pays his own expenses. He was offered subsidized insurance by his employer but has opted NOT to take it AFTER I contacted H's insurer and was told S could remain on H's policy until he turned 26 due to the Health Care Reform. S was added back to H's policy effective 1/1/2011.
You or your parents need to contact their insurer & get written confirmation as to exactly whether or not you ARE covered under their policy, giving the relevant info so you can make an informed decision. Policies vary as to what is required for you to remain on parents' policies.</p>