Notre Dame/Holy Cross Gateway Program 2024

This. Also, ND’s top-notch College of Engineering has a number of very successful Gateway students, as has every other ND College (Arts and Letters, Science, Business), with the possible exception of Architecture and, at current as it is brand new, the Keough School of Global Affairs.

I was advised by ND that there were 50 students selected for GW 8.0 from the REA group.

The Gateway Program is essentially a guaranteed sophomore transfer admission to ND like many universities have, but much better managed and coordinated. As noted, as much as possible, these admits are treated like ND students from day one and they integrate seamlessly into Notre Dame going forward. There is very little, if any, “quality difference” between Gateway admits and ND admits - as much as such things can ever be measured. Statistics show that Gateway students ultimately perform academically at levels consistent with all ND students (as would likely the next 1000 kids that got rejected). For students for whom ND is a clear number one choice, the Gateway Program is a no-brainer. Other students have trouble getting their minds around not getting immediately admitted to ND, and being “relegated” (in their eyes) to a lesser school/program. If Notre Dame just called these students “Sophomore ND Admits”, subject to meeting some performance criteria as Freshmen at Holy Cross, a lot of these negative optics would go away. You can view the stats of many rejected students in this year’s REA round on this site. Set against that outcome, Notre Dame is handing out an opportunity to a select few who really value Notre Dame, understand what this program is all about, and have a positive and constructive attitude about their future. It is a great option and a great outcome, though I personally know kids who elected to pass because they had other high quality options and did not want to go through the Gateway process and hurdle (though a low one). Whether their decision would have been different had they been admitted to ND is tough to know.

Question: through Gateway is it possible to double-major (with both majors in the same college at ND) and still graduate in May of 2024?

Notre Dame enrolls about 150 transfers each year. Over half of the class that graduated in 2014 would not gain admission today. The University has done a more active job in recruiting and developing its reach to more students from everywhere. The Gateway Program allows Notre Dame and students who really want ND above all other choices to use their first year at Holy Cross and then transfer to ND.The average Gateway transfer now is somewhat above the quality of students that transfer in from other colleges. 95% of the students in Gateway have been successful in going to ND as sophomores. The profile of the Gateway students (high school performance and SAT/ACT) scores would place this cohort of students as similar to the student profile at a top 25 to 35 national university. It takes a really humble kid to accept this offer…and humble parents. They make a big deal about this issue. Some parents have ranted about this being an effort to just make money for Holy Cross. ND did this to improve the quality of the transfer pool and also to give families who have a real special appreciation for ND. It is humbling for this year to be at Holy Cross but the cohort of students have done an amazing job becoming close to each other. Also most ND students now know and respect the program and are encouraging to these kids. Some schools offer spring enrollments (Cornell, USC…). ND has so few students that leave the freshman class at mid-year that it has to wait until the next academic year to start enrolling transfers. Parents with huge egos have disparaged this program. Students and parents with a sense of humility love this program!

@whiterose788 The answer to your question (double major) is not specific to Gateway students only, yet applies to all Notre Dame First-Year students: it depends on your ND College, your specific double major interests and how many, if any, academic credits your will be transferring in with. Hence it is very important to discuss your specific circumstances and preliminary plans with your Gateway Advisor during the Gateway Visit Program, which inter alia includes an Academic Advising Overview:

https://enrollment.nd.edu/register/gatewayvisit

@oregondomer well said. I agree with everything you wrote

My cousin did Gateway and is at ND now for sophomore year. He said it worked fine and had no problems. Seemed like a good decision if you want to go to ND imo. In the end, employers will only know what your degree says: Notre Dame!

Sorry for all my questions - I was wondering about financial aid information through Gateway…do we get that information before we have to commit to the program? I added it to the FAFSA a few weeks ago, but haven’t heard anything from HC.

It upsets me that some are assuming that GW students are not as academically gifted as straight admits into ND. Our DD scored very high on her ACT and had the same accolades as direct admits. Our daughter is a 7.0 and has NEVER looked at the GW program as anything other than “this is her path” and this is the path that was meant to be. “Let go of ranking, especially of seeing yourself as above others”

I have a question for a current ND student that was in GW (or a parent of a student). How was transitioning sophomore year? Were you randomly assigned a residence hall and a roommate?

Notre Dame Magazine, Winter 2019 - 2020 Edition: The Gateway - An innovative partnership with Holy Cross College provides about 75 transfer students to Notre Dame each fall.

https://magazine.nd.edu/stories/the-gateway/

"Gateway freshmen take four classes each semester at Holy Cross, and one class — as well as the one-credit Moreau First Year Experience life-skills course — at Notre Dame.

The program guarantees sophomore-year admission into Notre Dame to participants who earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher and have no conduct-code violations.

Gateway started six years ago as a pilot program with 17 Holy Cross freshmen. Every student in that first cohort met the goals and transferred into Notre Dame the following fall.

The program soon expanded to include about 75 freshmen, which officials from the two schools say is its maximum and ideal size. More than 95 percent of the 287 students who enrolled in the first six Gateway cohorts have transferred to Notre Dame to complete their degrees.

Gateway admission is by invitation only. Participants generally are Notre Dame applicants who are deemed to be just short of admission standards.
Donald Bishop ’77, ’85M.A., Notre Dame’s associate vice president for undergraduate enrollment, can reel off the numbers from memory: In 2019, 22,199 students applied to Notre Dame. Of those, 3,515 were accepted, meaning the University turns down more than 18,000 applicants each year. Some 120 of them are invited to join the Gateway Program, and approximately 76 do 79 enroll.

Those students stand out in some way, according to Erin Camilleri ’97, ’01M.Div., Notre Dame’s director of transfer enrollment. “We’re looking for students who we feel are going to make Notre Dame a better place,” she says.
By giving Notre Dame a role in preparing these students for the rest of their college education, the Gateway Program “has increased the [academic] quality of transfer students. That’s what Notre Dame wanted,” Bishop says."

Great article. I do not agree with the second sentence in the fifth paragraph. Especially, after hearing all of the “stats” from some of the current GW students. I think that sentence could have been better written. I think that sums up why some believe these kids “don’t fit in”

@HM0527 I see what you mean and agree with you that this sentence could have been more clearly written. Yet at the same time Bishop pointed out that the Gateway Program “has increased the [academic] quality of transfer students. That’s what Notre Dame wanted”.

At the end of the day this aspect will have no impact on successful Gateway students, who will be graduating after 4 years with a Notre Dame diploma. The yield (percentage of Gateway offered students who decide to enroll) at 63.3% is very high, well above Notre Dame (58.4%), which itself stands out in national yield comparison. That’s why I personally believe this point is mainly academic, and possibly slightly ego driven, as positive outcome numbers do speak for themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree that the sentence that reads “deemed to be just short of admissions standards” is both wrong and misleading. First of all, there are no objective admissions standards. There are plenty of valedictorians and 35/36 ACT scorers who are outright rejected from Notre Dame - and many thousands of the rejected 18,000 students are likely “qualified” and have statistics on par with the admitted class. Better put, Gateway students are applicants who fully met admission standards and the university really wanted to admit them - but the class was not large enough to accomodate them. The Gateway Program gives them essentially a guaranteed sophomore transfer admit and provides ND with transfer students who are both of the highest quality AND fully prepared to integrate seamlessly. I would guess that they are looking for a type of (fully qualified) student who can best appreciate and navigate this path - thus “students who we feel are going to make Notre Dame a better place”.

@hpcsa thank you for you insight @CCSavant I wholeheartedly agree with you. You put it more eloquently than I did. I take things being said personal due to the fact our daughter is a 7.0 cohort and I know what her stats were academically and the amount of dedication she gave back to the community for many many years. Thank you for your response.

@hpcsa I’m assuming that a lot of students have some small stumbles early in their college careers. Given the near 100% of GW students that transfer across the street, how are kids who fall just shy of the 3.5 GPA handled. (I’m also assuming there are plenty of ND freshmen who don’t get 3.5’s or might get a C… that’s the nature of first year students…).

@Fin2019 Yes, guaranteed ND transfer admission requires that all grades be a B or better with a final cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. No exceptions.

At Holy Cross Students will choose four courses each semester from a select list in the following disciplines: Art, English, History, Math, Natural Sciences, Philosophy, Social Sciences, Spanish, and Theology.

Students will also choose one course each semester at Notre Dame. In addition, students will take two semesters of the one-credit Moreau First Year Experience course to fulfill Notre Dame’s first-year requirement.

Engineering intends will take both Physics and Chemistry requirements, both with Labs, during their first Gateway Semester - a very challenging schedule for any First-Year student.

Hi whiterose,

We had a similar situation and waited till near the end to accept as we had to work through financial aid. In our case, it was about 8 weeks. I believe you should get an answer before the acceptance deadline. Good luck!

Awesome, glad to hear that they send it out, @lastof10. Thank you! (: