NYT misquotes M.I.A.

<p>So I posted about this in the regular CC cafe a few days ago, but got no response and thought maybe parents here could help clarify a few things for me.</p>

<p>But basically, M.I.A., a musical artist, had an interview with someone from the New York Times. Once the piece was published, M.I.A. was upset about her portrayal, and made a big fuss about it on Twitter, including posting the interviewer's cell phone number. Later, she released actual portions of the interview which proved her point, and there was an Editor's note added to here - M.I.A.?s</a> Agitprop Pop - NYTimes.com.</p>

<p>Specifically, it included this - "While M.I.A. did make those remarks, she did not make the entire statement at the same point in the interview, or in the order in which it was presented."</p>

<p>And to me, that seems like a really big deal, and I talked to a few others and they thought so too. But there seems to be no mention of this specific part of the editor's note, or at least people don't seem to care as much as I thought. Any press from this incident only seems to cover what happens before this note was added, and seems to focus a lot on M.I.A.'s childish actions (which I agree, were childish).</p>

<p>I'm just curious why this isn't a big deal. Is it just because the story isn't regarded as hard news, or maybe it's not actually that bad and maybe happens more than what I would expect?</p>

<p>maybe happens more</p>

<p>I haven't read the article- but the few news articles that I am IRL familiar with- are misconstrued so badly, that I expect that happens all the time.
Not to say it isn't a big deal- because depending on your POV, it is a big deal.</p>

<p>( reading the article) I don't think having the quotes together or not change the interview a great deal- not for me anyway.
I am already familiar with MIAs music ( for her 18th birthday- D2 wanted to see her as Sasquatch in 08- in 09 for her 19th birthday , D2 was in Tamil Nadu( well ,actually she was in Goa- but rest of time in Tamil Nadu) & could hear the bombing in Sri Lanka and see the planes)</p>

<p>OI think most people understand war is complex and that even if we are there- we don't see the whole picture.</p>

<p>I don't get the big deal. But then, I do not consider celebrity anything to be news, let alone hard news. I am not remotely interested in what a 'star' thinks of world affairs and they are already given too much airtime. </p>

<p>Journalists misquote all the time (and I've had first hand experience with it many times over). Most egregious was coverage of some work I did which appeared in the Economist, but was taken from another publication, which took it from another publication- the last two journalists did not contact me and their 'version' of what I said and did was completely wrong. But I don't really care that much, I don't take myself that seriously...I suppose celebrities do and/or they hope it makes more news since any news means $$.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Not that big a deal because it didn't get all that much publicity. And it didn't get that much publicity for two reasons: 1) It's not an unusual story because people claim they they were taken out of context by the press all the time. Sometimes they really were and sometimes they are backpedaling because they regret what they said. Usually neither side has a corner on the truth. 2) MIA ain't all that famous in the first place.</p>

<p>Having read the piece and her objections, I didn't find her comments lucid enough to decide if the NYT editing made any difference. If the author intentionally twisted the meaning of her words, it sure wasn't a successful effort. MIA's purported outrage strikes me as a publicity ploy.</p>