NYU grade deflation/inflation

<p>I was wondering what the grading regime is like at NYU Stern? I'm also curious about the situation in CAS as I believe I have to take a number of MAP courses there. Is there obvious grade inflation or deflation? I'd like to attend law school after college and I understand they're really picky about GPA. Thanks!</p>

<p>The professors will tell you that there is no Stern curve, but the grade distributions generally follow a deflating curve. Something like 20% As 50% Bs and 30% Cs or lower or something along those lines. The MAP courses don't follow a grade distribution so as long as you do the work you should be fine.</p>

<p>However to be cum laude at Stern you need a 3.59. Each school sets their own levels for cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude each year. The cum laude level at Stern has been rising in recent years. High limits to me seem to indicator a certain level of grade inflation. I believe the limits are set to allow only certain percentages to reach the hoors levels.</p>

<p>Nusing is even higher.</p>

<p>Most schools that go to the +/- grading system do so to combat grade inflation. It's nearly impossible maintain a 4.0 over a 128 credit undergrad program with the +/- system, especially in majors in which the grading is relatively more subjective. (Have you ever written an amazing paper that was graded harshly because your conclusions or views conflicted with your professor's preconceived ideas on your topic?) NYU adopted a new policy on Latin Honors effective in Fall 2008 that limits summa cum laude to the top 5% in terms of overall GPA, magna cum laude to the next 10%, and cum laude to the next 15%. So a total of 30% of any school's graduating class will qualify for Latin Honors. Here is the link with the current GPA cut-offs, which vary by school:<br>
NYU</a> > University Registrar > Graduation > Latin Honors</p>

<p>
[quote]
The professors will tell you that there is no Stern curve, but the grade distributions generally follow a deflating curve. Something like 20% As 50% Bs and 30% Cs or lower or something along those lines.

[/quote]
See, this is why I hate it when Stern students complain about how "hard" their classes are. Ignoring the fact that business isn't particularly difficult, that's a GENEROUS curve and nothing to complain about compared to other programs where only the top 10% get A's and 50% get in the C/D/F range. </p>

<p>And MAP classes don't curve as far as I know. Remember that everyone has to pass MAP classes to graduate so they can't make it too difficult, you know?</p>

<p>It's not the course that makes Stern difficult it's the competitiveness. A lot of people I knew in my finance course got As on the exams and did all the homeworks etc and ended up with a B.</p>

<p>Look, there are many competitive programs in NYU, but the subject matter in other programs is much more difficult and the curves are harsher. In some classes only the top 10% get A's and the curve guarantees the bottom 50% get in the C-F range to weed people out, so the stern curve sounds pretty generous to me. My boyfriend is a finance major and we used to live together before he went abroad - he had class like 15 hrs/week and an avg workload. I had class like 25 hrs/week and a serious workload. He does try very hard to keep his grades up but internship/relevant work experience are what he strives for because that's so important in Finance I guess. </p>

<p>Idk, I just can't muster up sympathy for some business major lol compared to difficult areas like engineering, math and science. Try taking a class where 600 students are competing for MD and PhD programs with 3% acceptance rates and for the same 10 research spots :/
[quote]
NYU adopted a new policy on Latin Honors effective in Fall 2008 that limits summa cum laude to the top 5% in terms of overall GPA, magna cum laude to the next 10%, and cum laude to the next 15%.

[/quote]
Yeah this is what I heard as well. However, maybe Stern does their own thing and it varies from school to school? I believe CAS's policy is like you described it but I don't know about Steinhardt, Tisch, Nursing, SCPS, etc.
[quote]
Nusing is even higher.

[/quote]
Yeah it says Nursing is 3.96 which is weirdly high. Silver School of Social Work is even higher!</p>