NYU Supplemental Topic

Hi everyone! I’m applying early decision to NYU this fall and I’m questioning whether or not the supplemental essay I wrote comes off as insensitive, oversimplified, or too risky for such a complex conflict. The essay question is about a time you built a bridge between two individuals.

Here is a quick summary of my essay: I wrote about bringing together two friends—one Israeli and one Palestinian. Because of the intense polarization in the news and on social media (which ties directly into my intended major, Media, Culture, and Communication), I was initially terrified to introduce them. We went shopping in SoHo, and when the topic of the war inevitably came up, I stepped in to facilitate the conversation. Instead of letting them debate political headlines, I asked them to share personal childhood memories and family stories.

The essay focuses entirely on how they managed to connect on a human level despite having vastly opposing views. My main takeaway is that bridging divides doesn’t mean forcing a political consensus; it means actively creating space for human connection alongside our differences.

**Post edited by moderator**

Do you think this is too risky of a topic for an admissions reader, or is it a strong, mature way to answer the prompt?

From your closed thread:

I think anything is fair game if it shows something about you. The essay is for them to learn about you, not others.

If you feel the essay will show something about you not available in other parts of your application, I see it as fine. If you can show how your spirit will help set a positive tone on campus, it certainly can work.

Look up Michael Hunter Ochs - he’s an NYU alum and is in a music partnership that has both an America can Jew and Palestinian side. I believe he’s spent time in the West Bank. You might find some inspiration there.

Don’t overthink the why is it bad or is it used too often or is it controversial, etc. I think they want to see how you think and write and want to learn about you.

Good luck.

1 Like