Obama is doing a great job w/his speech

<p>And if you don't get it, I guess you never will.</p>

<p>Absolutely. Agree 100%. I'm a big fan!</p>

<p>I am not sure, yet.</p>

<p>He put some inflammatory statements in there. I get his theme, and I think he is a great orator, but what I wanted more than a speech. I wanted to hear actual facts.</p>

<p>You can't say racism exists, and we need to acknowledge it, but let's put it aside because we need to talk about the issues.</p>

<p>Either racism is an issue, which I think it is, or it isn't. I would have loved it if he gave a Colin Powell speech, explaining in more detail what affirmative action can do and change the country.</p>

<p>
[quote]
You can't say racism exists, and we need to acknowledge it, but let's put it aside because we need to talk about the issues.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>How do we ever get past racism if we don't acknowledge that it exists? It seems to me that otherwise we're kind of collectively putting our head in the sand.</p>

<p>Stunning- important- I hope everyone gets a chance to hear this!</p>

<p>We get nowhere without acknowledging the issue of racism. That's what this whole controversy is about. But, I think, he's basically telling people to not get stuck there, and that's a great msg.</p>

<p>Obama is over! His speech is not going to fly with mainstream America!</p>

<p>I'm sorry I didn't get to see it. Does anyone know if the speech will be re-run anywhere after business hours?</p>

<p>AMom2, what, specifically, won't fly? Not saying you're wrong; I'm just curious.</p>

<p>zooser, I watched it on cnn.com as I don't have cable. I'm hoping they'll archive it and make it available later so that my husband can see it.</p>

<p>"Obama is over! His speech is not going to fly with mainstream America!"</p>

<p>It's a good thing for us that so many people in mainstream America don't vote! Obama still has a chance!</p>

<p>Post 4</p>

<p>That is exactly what I meant. He says we need to acknowlege it and address, because we need to get the country together, but the election should be about issues</p>

<p>Shouldn't we really address how to get pass the issue of racism?</p>

<p>Since this issue has been divisive, shouldn't he come out as a leader on how he will do this?</p>

<p>Among the ways you do it is through symbolism. Important symbolism. His running for President, and even having the opportunity to make such a speech is important symbolism. His being President would offer ever-greater symbolism.</p>

<p>The "Office of the President" is a living symbol of what Americans think their country is all about. Independent of politics, and independent of policies, who occupies makes a huge difference.</p>

<p>Quote: "Shouldn't we really address how to get pass the issue of racism?"</p>

<p>Well, I think he has offered a solution. Vote for him, and the stigma associated with electing the "first black" President of the USA will never have to be dealt with in the future. </p>

<p>He is suggesting that race is NOT an issue for him, and for many voters. The only way to get past the issue of racism is to get past it.....:o</p>

<p>(mini, we cross posted. I think we agree. Your post was more eloquent...)</p>

<p>Obama</a> Race Speech: Read The Full Text - Politics on The Huffington Post</p>

<p>Here is a link to the entire text:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/us/politics/18text-obama.html?pagewanted=all%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/us/politics/18text-obama.html?pagewanted=all&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Still processing it myself, but right now I'd have to say that I don't think he hit a homerun --- maybe a double. He's back in the ballgame, but that speech only carried him partway; he's got an awful lot of work to do to bring it home. He went back to rhetorical safe ground by partially reprising the story-speech that was so successful at the DNC in 2004 and he did a good job trying to bridge understanding between the frustrations and dreams of black and white Americans. But I can see the point of those who say Obama often comes across as too "academic" since a good chunk of that speech made me feel like I was sitting in a lecture hall hearing a brilliant history professor talk. (This can be positive as well as negative I suppose.) </p>

<p>Mixed reaction in my house irt electability in November. I am skeptical and imo, he fast-tracked his bid for the White House and should have waited until he was better known on the national scene. My H, a die-hard Democrat, says, "What are you talking about? He's going to win."</p>

<p>I think that Obama's actions if elected will be far more powerful than words. The thing is unless he's elected all we will have are his words and we'll never know what he might have done.</p>

<p>At this point I'm not sure there is anything he can say that will convince skeptics that he is worthy of the presidency. I for one am ready to take a chance on him. It just seems to me be time to break away from the possibility of a Bush/Clinton twin dynasty.</p>

<p>I know McCain offers the same opportunity and I'm not 100% anti-McCain but his position on the war, and some other stances i.e. the Bush tax cuts would keep me from voting for him. I do believe he's a good person and as politicians go pretty honest, but I think the same is true of Obama and I agree more with his positions on the issues.</p>

<p>"I think that Obama's actions if elected will be far more powerful than words. The thing is unless he's elected all we will have are his words and we'll never know what he might have done."</p>

<p>What has he done previously to show that he will be able to carry out his speeches. Shouldn't he start to clean Chicago's politics first? Chicago politicians are known to be among the most corrupt politicians in the entire country. All the change he wants to bring to the national political system should have started in Chicago first to show it can probably be extrapolated to the entire nation.</p>

<p>He was a state senator representing south side Chicago. That part of the Chicago is still one of the most dangerous place to live in the entire country! High poverty rate, high murder rate etc. I think the people who live at this place could use a little of the hope and change Obama is trying to sell to the country.</p>

<p>I think it's a great speech, probably his "Checkers" speech.</p>

<p>"But I can see the point of those who say Obama often comes across as too "academic" since a good chunk of that speech made me feel like I was sitting in a lecture hall hearing a brilliant history professor talk."</p>

<p>Remember that part of Obama's appeal is that he is the anti-Bush.</p>