Occidental vs Colby

<p>I'm struggling to decide where to apply ED between Occidental and Colby. I know I would be happy at both schools, and since both are a reach for me I really need the ED advantage. </p>

<p>I have a 28 ACT and a 3.2 UW GPA, good ECs and recs, and I'm an urm. I know there are some students at Oxy with my test scores and GPA, but I'm not sure this is the case at Colby. Do I have any shot at getting into Colby? Or should I just forget about it and apply ED to Oxy?</p>

<p>Have you been to Colby? Unless you're well familiar with harsh winters, I'm having a hard time imagining a kid from California being happy out in the middle of nowhere in Maine...</p>

<p>I grew up in the Northeast and love the winter so for me it's actually more of a pro to going to Colby than a con.</p>

<p>You might have a shot at Colby, yes. GPA may be a bit low, but being URM and from California (regional diversity) will be nice advantages. Colby is the more selective school of these two, but it's not well known outside the northeast. If you plan on returning to California, that may be a bit of an issue. Not a big issue, but something to contemplate if you're thinking "name recognition" for future job hunting.</p>

<p>Thanks. Any other opinions?</p>