October SAT vs. June SAT?

<p>Hello. I've taken two SAT Is and three SAT IIs (still waiting on the last one)
My SAT overall scores remained the same at 2210. Here are my BEST scores:</p>

<p>Reading : 770
Writing: 800
Math: 680</p>

<p>My SAT II scores:
Bio: 720
World History: 760
Chem: ??? still waiting</p>

<p>I was thinking about taking the SAT I again. I've heard the rumor that the June SAT has a better curve or is easier. Is this true? I was planning on taking the SAT I in October, but I'm worried that I won't be able to apply for Early Action with the October SAT score. What should I do?</p>

<p>No SAT has a better curve than any other SAT. You should take the SAT when you're ready. If you take the SAT again make sure that you prepare by learning/reviewing SAT specific strategies, and practicing a little each day. If you go in without extra preparation your score is unlikely to improve. </p>

<p>You should be able to apply for early action if you take the October SAT (and even the November test).</p>

<p>I wanted to take the Math Level 2 SAT II in June
I'm really not sure what to do about retaking the SAT; should I retake it?</p>

<p>The consensus of opinion, supported by data, is that you will not significantly improve your score with another retake. The consistency in your three SAT I scores corroborates that idea. </p>

<p>IMO you should proceed very cautiously with a Math 2 subject test. Perfect 800s are fairly routine because people who take it are somewhat self-selecting students who are confident about their math skills AND there's a generous curve. If your highest score on the math section of the SAT I is 680, how likely is it that you will break 700 on the Math 2? And even then, how helpful would that score be considering a 700 = 62 percentile vs. your US History score of 760 = 92 percentile. See
<a href="http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/2010-sat-subject-test-percentile-ranks.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/2010-sat-subject-test-percentile-ranks.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>So...I personally don't think it is a good use of your time and energy to take either the Math 2 or retake the SAT I unless you are that rare individual who will set everything else aside and dedicate the time and genuine mental energy required to improving your math performance. You absolutely cannot do this on your own. You need to employ expert assistance, e.g., follow the silverturtle or xiggi method (free test tutorials here on CC) or invest in a session or two with a private one-on-one tutor. Your work must be two-part: (1) you must conduct a detailed analysis of your past math tests to identify types of questions you consistently miss, and (b) you must learn how to correctly answer those types of questions + all of the types of questions covered on Math 2 that are not covered on the SAT I math section--some of which requires learning math, some of which requires learning test-taking strategies unique to certain types of questions.</p>

<p>Have you taken a practice ACT? Some students perform better on the ACT--it's possible you could knock it out of the park on that test and never have to turn in a SAT I (you'd still submit your SAT subject tests when required). Look into it. If you do give the ACT a try, be sure to figure out what math questions the ACT covers. You will still need to do the math study discussed above + prepare for any math sections that may be unique to the ACT.</p>

<p>If you decide to take any more tests, I would suggest June unless you won't have ample time to study. It is hard to add testing to fall of senior year. Note, ACT offers a September test date (in addition to June and Oct). </p>

<p>If you do take fall tests, some early decision/action schools will take as late as November, but I think more expect testing to be complete in October. Have you checked for the schools on your list? Now's a great time to prepare the "application requirements and deadlines" spreadsheet that will be your guide through the entire process. While you are at the school websites, be sure to record whether the school requires you to submit all scores, and if so, whether it superscores or takes only the best sitting.</p>

<p>Have you checked your current scores against the scores of admitted students at the colleges to which you will apply? You might find a score range on the college website in a profile of current or admitted students. Easier to Google for the Common Data Set for a college--look at the most recent version and go to section C for score range data re: admitted freshmen. (You'll also find helpful data concerning GPA, rank, the importance of rigor of curriculum, etc.) Record this information on your spreadsheet so you can start getting an idea of which schools on your list are realistic, which are reaches, etc.</p>

<p>The good news is, schools that superscore will show you at 2250. And a perfect score in CR is very impressive!</p>

<p>Know that you are not your test scores! You actually have great scores--but your concern about the math is understandable. Sometimes, there are parts of an application that just are--you can't change them. So you may be at that point with your test scores. It's okay! Turn your attention to the other parts of your app that aren't "set" at this point. Colleges are looking for a lot more beyond scores, grades and rank. I'm guessing from your CR and W scores that you are a good writer--take the time you would've spent on math and spend it learning how to write application essays. And then start writing and polishing. And don't stop! Depending on how many schools you apply to, you will need several different essays. You can learn more about essay questions on the school websites and on Common App. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>At my school, most people that take the January (or earlier) SAT in their junior year are usually the smarter kids. I'm guessing it's the same thing for other schools. Wouldn't the curve be better for you if you take the March/May/June SAT then?</p>

<p>I think you should, go for it if you feel prepared enough.</p>