Off topic

<p>I was hanging out with a buddy of mine who goes to UCLA as a philosophy major, and he brought up a great riddle. The riddle goes: </p>

<p>"There are two doors. You have to pick one door. One door leads to great happiness, the other leads to great suffering. But you don't know which door is which.</p>

<p>However, there are two people in the room. One of them always tells the truth, but one of them always lies. But, you don't know which is which.</p>

<p>You can only ask one question. What question should you ask in order to determine which door leads to great happiness?"</p>

<p>I won't post the answer in case anybody wants to try to solve it. Anyways, I decided to share this with some of my closer friends last night, and eventually we got into a pretty heated argument (non-violent though of course ^^ ) because for some reason, every one of my friends couldn't understand why the answer works and I couldn't get through to any of them no matter how hard I tried to explain it. They kept telling me the whole thing is invalid and that I'm wrong, even when the answer is all over the web. It felt like teaching Japanese to a monkey, so I eventually got over it. I'm starting to understand what my mom meant when she's always told me "to hang out with the right people". Not as in avoiding gangs and drugs, but as in surrounding myself with brighter individuals. This probably sounds ******-y, but in retrospect, I think my choice in friends has kept be behind all these years. To be honest, just about all of my friends are underachievers.</p>

<p>Can I expect things will be different once I transfer to a UC where one would hope he or she can meet people who are intellectual and open-minded? Do you think I'm overreacting?</p>

<p>The first question that comes to my mind would be, what is your idea of happiness and suffering? That would be a more personal question that would help assess their true natures I suppose. </p>

<p>I can relate to your friend situation. I really feel like I've been brought down by some of my childhood friends. A couple of my "closest" friends right now are underachievers and as I get older and mature I really feel a distance growing between us. Mainly, it's just our difference in values and the more I come to realize who I am and who I have always been the more I'm beginning to notice just how very different we are. I really wish I listened more to my parents about this when I was younger.</p>

<p>Once we transfer, I am sure we will find brighter, more intellectual, and more open-minded people.</p>

<p>There will be people of different level of intelligence everywhere you go--even UC's.</p>

<p>Yeah of course, I just meant in general. You won't get into a (good) UC without being very motivated and/or intelligent.</p>

<p>Too lazy to really think it through, but i think you would ask any one of the guys "Will the other guy say that this door (doesn't matter which one) is the happiness one?"</p>

<p>@stephen321 Pretty darn close. The right answer (or question in this case) would be "What would the other guy say is the door to happiness?" Whether you a) you talk to the liar or b) talk to the honest guy, the door they point to will always be the door to suffering. Thus, the OTHER door will always be the one that leads to happiness. It's pretty easy to understand if you just draw it out.</p>

<p>I just don't understand why my friends can't grasp this, even when I illustrated it and everything.</p>

<p>@jasonSkim</p>

<p>I think that's obviously the answer. You want to ask a question that will return the same answer regardless of whom you ask it. I don't know why your friends can't grasp that either. Like you said, maybe it's time to find new friends? Hah.</p>

<p>Yeah that makes sense, I was imagining that each guy was representing a door haha</p>

<p>You don't have to wait until you're at a UC to surround yourself with intelligent people, though, yes, there will be a higher concentration of smart, diligent people at a UC than at your CC.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Ask either person: If I were to ask the other person which door is the right one, what would he say?</p>

<p>Truther: "He would say Door 1."
(The real door is Door 2, but the Liar would say Door 1. The Truther would honestly repeat that.)</p>

<p>Liar: "He would say Door 1."
(The real door is Door 2, which is what the Truther would have said. But the Liar will change his answer.)</p>

<p>So you need to always choose the other door.

[/quote]

Source: Yahoo Answer</p>

<p>This one explains it the best^^</p>

<p>@lawlking haha yeah. I understand the answer and can explain it myself, but my friends keep refuting and saying "why would you just choose the other door if you don't know who's who?" It's beyond me why they can't seem realize that even if you blindly choose to go through the other door, that they'd be safe. You could understand how frustrated I was. It's like trying to teach a child that 1+1 does indeed equal 2, yet they refuse to believe it. -_-</p>

<p>Judging the merit of a friendship based on a riddle says more about you than it does about your friends.</p>

<p>@anythinggoes1 This hasn't changed anything...I'm still friends with these guys. They are still good people and of course, it'd be childish and immature to let a silly riddle ruin a friendship. I'm only questioning my own choice of associating myself with them and for a while, following in their footsteps. And I never said this was only about them; it's just as much about me as it is about them.</p>

<p>Edit: I guess you are right about it being more about me than about my friends though, because I can't expect them to change for me and I wasn't forced to hang out with them. The point is that I'm just re-evaluating my choices in friends for the future.</p>

<p>I understand because I have been in your shoes. And you're right about changing people. My old group of friends were racist but only thought they were being 'funny'. I found it better to remove myself rather than try and explain to them that none of the stuff they were saying could pass as humor.
I shared my first comment for the reason that: pretension can be limiting in a social sense.</p>