<p>I’m not going to try to defend his spending at a state school, although I read somewhere else that the spending that was questioned was funded by foundation monies and not tax dollars. However, he was a beloved chancellor at Vanderbilt and spent similarly there. Both entering freshmen and graduating seniors received books signed by Chancellor Gee, bow tie cookies were distributed frequently, he made appearances at fraternity parties (despite the fact that he is Mormon and a non-drinker), and I know of students who were entertained at small dinners that he initiated with campus leaders as a way of staying in touch with the student body. He is good bang for the buck IF you have lots of bucks!</p>
<p>Yes, he gets paid quite a lot of money, but if the University feels that having him as president is worth it, then so be it. It is true that Gee is an amazing fundraiser (the University is shortly announcing a billion (with a b) dollar fundraising campaign (over half of which has already been reached)). While I don’t agree with everything Gee has done, he has proven himself more than capable in the areas essential for University leadership.</p>