oil platforms

<p>Which educations do one need to design oil-platforms? Are there any civil/structural engineering programmes focused on making these kind of structures?</p>

<p>If you go through a traditional civil engineering undergrad and a structural engineering grad program to get a masters, then apply to companies that design oil platforms, they'll teach you what you need to know to design offshore rigs. It's a little proprietary, and most of the learning for those types of structures is done in companies that design them as a business.</p>

<p>I would think that for platform design one would need the skills of both a Naval Architect and a Marine Engineer. But if you mean finding and extracting, that would come under the purview of a Petroleum Engineer.</p>

<p>I'd imagine your design & build company deals with a lot of this stuff. I know the old Chevron platforms off the CA coast were designed primarily by KBR.</p>

<p>I got an offer from Arup here in Houston to design offshore rigs. It's often done by structural engineers, and structural firms are often the subcontractors on it.</p>

<p>And toblin, NorGrum Newport News kept leaving me voicemails for a good two months trying to get me to fly out and interview before I called them and told them I had another job already, so structurals can actually end up as naval architects, as well...</p>

<p>It's all kind of knowing-how-forces-affect-materials, ultimately. For something as specific as rigs or ships, there are lots of routes into the field because it's so different from everything else that a good solid mechanics background will get you to the point that they'll start teaching you stuff from anyhow. </p>

<p>Dang versatile, this degree...! ;)</p>