Ok which neighborhoods in SF are safe for my 22 year old daughter and her boyfriend

<p>to live? </p>

<p>I used to live in SF many years ago. I don’t know what’s safe anymore.</p>

<p>Is South of Market safe?</p>

<p>When I lived in the city, it was sketchy. Now I hear it’s a happening place.</p>

<p>Looking at $1700 or less per month.</p>

<p>I like the Inner Sunset, but my wife says it’s too boring.</p>

<p>Most of SF is safe. Wish it was me who was looking for a place there! Your D and BF should talk to the locals about which neighborhoods suit their lifestyle preferences.</p>

<p>[Sfgov.org</a> | San Francisco Police Department: SFPD CrimeMAPS](<a href=“http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=23813]Sfgov.org”>http://www.sfgov.org/site/police_index.asp?id=23813)</p>

<p>You mean $1700 for a one bedroom, no?
That would be doable, not for a 2-bedroom though.</p>

<p>How old is your wife’s info. on the Inner Sunset? It’s changed a lot in the past decade or two.</p>

<p>SOMA is not the safest, but not the worst. Depends on the street.</p>

<p>The most sketch, perhaps:</p>

<p>Bayview
Parts of Excelsior
Sunnydale
Bernal Heights, parts
Maybe Western Addition</p>

<p>Broadly speaking, you can categorize people on whether they’d rather hang out in Marina (buffy types) or Mission (arty types). Figure out where your daughter/boyfriend are on this scale and the recs can follow.</p>

<p>How is the area near the Metreon?</p>

<p>I’ve been arguing with my wife about the Inner Sunset. We used to live there. I think it’s a great place to live.</p>

<p>1 Br would be fine. Even a studio might work.</p>

<p>The most sketch, perhaps:</p>

<p>Bayview
Parts of Excelsior
Sunnydale
Bernal Heights, parts
Maybe Western Addition</p>

<p>Thanks for this.</p>

<p>Tenderloin. I’ve never felt so unsafe on a block which actually housed a police station.</p>

<p>^^^
Oh forgot the Tenderloin…Yeah, it feels like a gritty part of NYC.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Too urban for my tastes, but a fair amount going on around there. It depends on the street/apartment, though. Closeby places are neat and tidy. Other places sketch.</p>

<p>OK thanks.</p>

<p>I think that’s the area she likes. :eek:</p>

<p>My sense is that, notwithstanding periodic tech busts, the last of the poor people got gentrified out of San Francisco 10-15 years ago. Along with Paris proper, it’s the most consistently upscale city I know. It doesn’t have any truly bad neighborhoods anymore, and only a few slummy pockets.</p>

<p>Believe me, if your 22-year-old and her boyfriend were living in Philadelphia where 22-year-olds live on their salaries, BedHead’s “sketch” neighborhoods in San Francisco would look like Beverly Hills by comparison. (They wouldn’t be paying anything like $1,700/mo. for a studio, though.)</p>

<p>A client of mine had a condo right around the corner from the Metreon. It wasn’t where I would have chosen to live (very high-rise/generic urban for one of the most beautiful, distinctive cities in the world), but the neighborhood wasn’t remotely sketchy.</p>

<p>I do feel that SF is a pretty safe city… for me. But this is my daughter. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>There are a couple of bad areas that BedHead mentioned. I don’t like them for my daughter.</p>

<p>JHS, It’s nice to read that the area around the Metreon isn’t sketchy. She may end up there.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, maybe compared to parts of Lagos. :wink: Look San Francisco is a relatively safe city, but there are whole swaths of it that most people don’t even see or realize are actually part of San Francisco. And they aren’t all that nice. And there is some danger, though true about the Philly. comparison… </p>

<p>The poor haven’t left San Francisco. They live as homeless on the streets in huge numbers and there are pockets throughout the city where they live.</p>

<p>I think my sketch list covers it pretty well.</p>

<p>D2 is considering USF. Any thoughts about that general area? She’s also asking to travel by herself to visit a friend there: arrive SF airport, then Bart to downtown, then Muni to USF during broad daylight. She’s a diminutive 16 year old. My gut says this is not a good idea, though she has lots of travel experience. Advice?</p>

<p>riverrunner, I see no problem.</p>

<p>And the USF area is very safe.</p>

<p>USF area is safe, nothing to worry about generally except that it is a city situation and cities are not always completely safe – especially for girls.</p>

<p>The trip from the airport to USF is actually a good idea for her to see what part of her life would be life there – i.e. city life. This is something I’d let my daughter do. I would just tell her to keep her wits about her especially on MUNI and a bit so on BART.</p>

<p>Mr Payne, have you seen “Assault on Precinct 13” ? :)</p>