We wrapped all of the gifts in really beautiful paper. OMG I wish I had done this last week. It has not felt like a holiday around here but with the pretty gifts it is now.
Mainly G’s son is getting gifts for his new play kitchen. Not even much money–maybe $80. D and SIL have about 5 gifts collectively and H 3 tiny and two large.
I love beautiful paper and in the end it costs about $10 more and this year I also cleaned up from years gone by.
On a different note–I have made the same recipe for 32 years and this year 13 of the loaves of bread where a disaster. I have only two small ones and I swear I will never make this bread again. so Humph and dang.
That does sound busy! But for such a happy occasion. Congrats to your daughter and all of your clan!
Drinking my morning coffee and mentally gearing up for the last push. First celebration begins at 4pm. Of course, DH was unable to finish things up yesterday and has left for the office. Last package arrived 6ish yesterday. One failed batch of cookiesMIGHT be reattempted today but first chilled cookie dough needs baked, appetizer and salad for tonight’s dinner must be made, and some stocking items need wrapped. At least the event is elsewhere, so no cleaning is required.
Merry Christmas and GOOD LUCK to all!!!
Cute card!
https://news.sky.com/story/archie-takes-centre-stage-in-harry-and-meghans-christmas-card-11894517
Today I need to get to the fish market, make breakfast for tomorrow that can just be popped into the oven, and make the pasta. The plan is for D to help with the cooking and H to be Xmas music DJ and bartender. Looking forward to today!
Tomorrow should be pjs, great food (made in advance so I get the day to fully enjoy), games, and music. Haven’t been this relaxed in decades.
@Cheeringsection glad to hear someone else’s husband headed to their office today. Mine did to…but swears he is leaving early…whatever that means. Since he does all of his Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve, I think he is going to be very surprised to find some of his favorite places are closing at 3 this year.
One tree is decorated, and I’m getting ready to tackle lights on tree two. Something I’ve never done before! Should be interesting.
Overachiever! ![]()
My husband took off for the gym and then is going in to the lab. He says he’ll be back in the afternoon. I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m hoping to make some cookies today. But first I have to soften butter…
The cleaning and decorating got done last week. Main effort is planning and labor for around nine days of food.
Our visitors are here; head count is up from a normal of two to seven or eight (my mother’s coming for dinner today and tomorrow). Yesterday I made a couple batches of scones and froze them for breakfast-on-demand. Baked a loaf of gluten-free bread. Made of a batch of yeast dough and wrapped it around leftovers for lunch (diced turkey, broccoli florets, shredded cheddar). Had some left for plain dinner rolls, so I looked classy yesterday evening too.
Gluten-free pie crust from recipe DIL gave me is cooling in the fridge. I’m attempting a tourtiere (meat pie) for the first time this evening.
My small group of token presents is looming larger and larger because I haven’t wrapped them yet. Definitely a case of the dread taking up way more headspace than doing it sooner would have.
Well…I got the lights on the real tree. I’ve never done this before, so it looks a little weird, but if anyone has the gall to complain, I going to remind them that I didn’t even want this tree, and no one else helped.
Today, I’m going out one more time to get myself a present…because I would like something to open!
I’ll set the dining room table when I get back!
Near Fyre Festival until the home-for-break MFA theater lighting candidate had a couple of hours off from her annual Nutcracker stagehand gig, and WOWZA! Lights everywhere. Holiday tablecloths on the tables. Tree skirt under the tallest houseplant (yes, lights on that too) and a few wrapped presents under said “tree”.
Life is good.
It’s even better if your kid has serious theater skills, and remembers where the holiday knick-knacks are.
Bless my DD! She went to the store to get the last things needed. That saved an incredible amount of my time. I am actually able to sit down for lunch and catch up with all of you. She also takes care of buying and wrapping the gifts to me. @thumper1 I would ask her to do that for you as well if we knew each other IRL!
Our office is closed today, so we slept in. I will be working from home this afternoon, but not much. Going to Costco today to pick up Mr.'s prescription and to look for those $10/pound New York steaks from their email for this year’s NYE dinner. It will be either a zoo or a peaceful wonderland in there. 
I love wrapping the presents. But I know I’m not getting a box of anything to unwrap…so I’m off to buy my own. I’m getting a present but I have been told it’s in a card. Maybe it’s my tickets to Hawaii.
@happymomof1 my husband was the theater techie…but he didn’t do the lights!
My daughter loves decorating for the holidays and does a great job. Garlands with lights and really nice eye for decor. But this year, she is not here for Christmas, so I’m getting to wing it.
I think it all looks terrific!
I’ve successfully moved farther away from Fyre Festival territory. Many kinds of cookies baked and packaged for extended family members and put out on platters for one of tomorrow’s Christmas dessert offerings.
Presents all wrapped, wreath finally on the door.
Off to an extended family Christmas Eve gathering (food item contribute in tow) then home to clean the now messy kitchen (I think I’ll delegate that one
) and make a few dishes ahead for tomorrow’s feast.
Wish my DH had gone to work. He’s been a pia all day. Grouchy about the crowds at the fish market and then complaining about the cost. Spent the last three hours on his laptop going through work emails. We would have been better off he was at the office. 
I don’t know where I’m at. We have never done Christmas decorations at our house but I at least used to pull out all of the various menorahs the kids made over the years and decorate the table with dreidels. This year so far I took out one menorah that H and Ihave been lighting.
We go to my family for Christmas. I went to the grocery store early this morning to get what I needed for my contribution for tomorrow’s meal. I prep today and cook before we leave mid morning. It’s a two hour drive normally but tomorrow has rain in the forecast. I have the added stress that I’m having 8 for a traditional Hanukkah meal on Thursday. I have the broth made for the soup and made the brisket yesterday. I dread the grating of the potatoes and the frying. I just finished setting the table for Thursday so feel I can take a CC break.
We don’t exchange presents with anyone on Christmas so don’t have that stress. I have Hanukkah gifts for my kids. I don’t feel like I have much for the oldest but I’m beyond going out to do any shopping.
Costco #1 did not have any NY steaks! Meat isle was pretty picked through. Tip - for best meat selection go to a Costco where a lot of vegetarians shop. ? Went to Costco #2 where the usual crowd is largely Indian. Bingo. Steaks have been acquired. Both stores were blissfully uncrowded. 
@BunsenBurner bought the steaks last time I was at Costco. D2 went and bought them too. My cashier at the grocery store said she had been to Costco yesterday evening and was in and out in 20 minutes.
I’m as done as I’m going to be. Just need to set the table in the dining room, and clear off the kitchen table and put Christmas placemats down.