On A Scale of Marie Kondo to Fyre Festival, How Ready For The Holidays Are You?

Maybe we need to host a virtual “we survived the holidays” party what do you say, about January 4? Clink our glasses and get all take out food so no one has to cook. :slight_smile:

My hot water stopped working midway through our meal prep. Husband is down in the basement with DIL’s dad bonding over our boiler. I’d say this kind of infrastructure failure epitomizes Fyre Festival.

Reminder: I am single and live alone.

I don’t know which is worse. Doing everything myself. Or doing everything myself while a man sits on his bobo watching TV. I’m thinking the latter.

OMG, @HouseChatte! Reminds us the very first Christmas in this new (to us) house when our boiler stopped working. No hot water, no heat. And not a mechanic to be found!! Two portable electric heaters kept us warm. :slight_smile: Hope yours comes back to life quickly!!!

The UPS dude finally delivered the last box. Spinach gratin is assembled and ready for the oven. Sweet potatoes ? are ready to go whenever kid and her BF arrive.

Almost forgot. I need some advice from beer drinkers. (I don’t drink.) I purchased a 12-pack of cans as a prize for my FFF game. The beer was cold when I bought it and has been in my fridge since I brought it home. I need the fridge space it is occupying. Will it hurt the beer if it sits out at room temperature?

How cold is it outside @musicmom1215? Throw the beer outside in a cooler. It will stay cold. All of my alcohol is outside on my porch right now.

Our Christmas was Saturday. I’m home relaxing. My mom is here and I think we’ve bored her already. Driving 2 hours to my in-laws tomorrow to celebrate with H’s family.

Should be a quiet week. My mom is here until the 1st.

We live in New England. Our garage is just the right temp for storing all beverages…so that’s were they are!

I am in Texas. 60* right now at 6:36 p.m. Low should be 45. I don’t have a cooler any more. S lives by the mantra of what’s his is his and what’s mine is his!

Well…they drink beer at room temperature in Europe??‍♀️

Boiler on the fritz stinks, @HouseChatte. Sorry you’re having to deal with that.

I’ve been in a great mood all holiday season and, though busy, have avoided feeling stressed. Family gathering tonight sure put a dampener on my holiday spirit after a personal run-in with grumpy ass family member resulted in me (and immediate family) leaving early. Ugh. A trip somewhere for the holidays next year sounds great to me right now.

Thanks for the good vibes. Our house heat was working, the water is on a separate part of the system. And it started working again for no reason we could determine. I got to wash our dishes! Husband left plumber a non urgent voicemail. Hopefully things will hold for the next couple days.

I’m always surprised to see, via social media, how many people take down their decorations today. I guess if you’ve had them up since Thanksgiving (or even before based on some of my neighbors) I can see that but we just put ours up less than a week ago… :slight_smile:

Our decorations stay up until the Epiphany on 1/6. However, we have a fake tree so don’t need to contend with the city pick up schedule for xmas tree disposal which is this week! Plus, I want it up for the NYE party :slight_smile:

We keep ours up until 1/6 as well. Real but no city pick up here. Just all it out back into the woods.

At least 1/6 here, too. When kids were undergrad, we left them up until after they left, usually mid-January.

I love the pre-Christmas festivities, lights, decorations, etc. Once it’s over, it’s over for me, though. Mine are down 12/26. Should be packed away today.

I may feel differently once I don’t have tax season looming overhead. For now, Christmas is over and tax season is starting.

We dispose of our tree (if we use a cut one) in the yard waste bin. I dismember it using pruning tools as it sits in the stand, and Mr. then hauls the leftovers outside and cuts into 2-3-ft chunks. This system works because it localizes the mess to one spot. Our tree comes down on the 8th of January or after.

In Germany they drink beer at room temperature. Or slightly cooled (cellar temperature).

Ice cold beer (in cans) is an American concept.

My parents don’t chill wine either.

I take my tree down January 1st. I like it up for NYE, but it’s almost symbolic to me to clean up, put away and start fresh January 1st.