On the extended essay

<p>What does "Find x" mean?</p>

<p>It's whatever you want it to mean.</p>

<p>Isn't that what option 5 is for?</p>

<p>Option One: Write your own answer.</p>

<p>Option Two: Write your own question AND write your own answer.</p>

<p>Either way, the answer is going to be yours, and uniquely yours. They just give you the option of picking your own question.</p>

<p>Remember, the important part of the essay is not to answer the question (though that is good in and of itself, especially with as juicy questions as this years') but rather to demonstrate your personality/way of thinking/style. You can tell them how to find x, but if it doesn't say anything about YOU, then it'd be a waste.</p>

<p>Anything you want, which makes it easy...and hard.</p>

<p>FWIW, for a lot of my best essays, I wrote about what I wanted first and then adjusted it for specific questions. I don't know if the same will work for you, but no harm in trying it.</p>

<p>Also, for these very, very, open-ended questions, don't obsess over finding the right topic. Just think of one, write on it, and if you don't like how it turns out, throw it away.</p>

<p>This is what I had to say about that prompt a couple of months ago:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Ha, I actually think that's the easiest one to write for. It's flexible. Detach it from the algebra and the prompt is basically about looking for something. Write about the scientific pursuit of knowledge (if your interests incline that way), or the time your guppy died and you spent nights staring at the ceiling wondering what the meaning of it all was anyway, or the time your friend didn't believe you when you said verboten was a real word and you had to search the school up and down for a dictionary so you could prove him wrong, or even The Great Remote Search of '08.</p>

<p>You get the point, I hope. Any time you were seeking something, or trying to solve a problem, or stumbled upon an Answer without really meaning to. Your actual essay doesn't have to be stunningly creative or original--mine definitely wasn't--but you have to think a little about how you apply the prompt.</p>

<p>...and if all else fails, you could always write about your prealgebra teacher.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That about covers it, I think. It's a very open-ended prompt.</p>

<p>The above posts helped alot, thanks :).</p>

<p>I just want to add: don't confine yourself to anything anyone over here says. If you see a way to answer it which strikes you as particularly clever, go for it.</p>