On the right track?

<p>Hi, I'm new to CC :) I'm just a junior but I've been interested in Northwestern since I visited it in eighth grade with my cousin. It's one of my top schools and I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on whether or not I'm on the right track to be a good candidate for admission. I want to major in biology, perhaps psychology. </p>

<p>Senior Year Schedule (next year)
AP Calculus BC, AP Macroeconomics, AP Government, AP English Lit, AP Psychology, AP Chemistry, Honors Design & Tech, Honors Spanish IV </p>

<p>Junior Year Schedule
AP US History, AP English Lang, Honors Chem, Honors Precalc/Trig, Honors Spanish III, Honors Engineering Design and Development</p>

<p>Sophomore Year Schedule
Honors Soph English, Honors Integrated Math II (included Alg 2 & AP Stats), Honors Digital Electronics, Honors Principles of Engineering, Honors Physics, Spanish II, Orientation to Health Occupations, PE, Health (last 3 classes one semester each)</p>

<p>Freshman Year Schedule
AP World History, Honors Freshman English, Honors Integrated Math I (included Alg 2 & Geometry), Honors Biology, Tech, Intro to Eng. Design, Spanish II, PE </p>

<p>Class rank: 24 out of 640
GPA: 4.54 (weighted), 3.71/4.0 (unweighted) </p>

<p>SAT I: 2210
690 (M)
730 (CR)
790 (W)</p>

<p>Still have to take the ACT. </p>

<p>General Extracurriculars
Mathletes (10,11)
Health Occupations Students of America (10, 11)
National Honors Society (11)
Class Council (11)
Modern Indian dance (9, 10)</p>

<p>Work/Volunteering
~80 hours of community service
Local library volunteer (9, 10, 11)
Job as a reading tutor/assistant (10, 11)
Relief Effort Club (9, 10, 11)
AVID program volunteer/tutor </p>

<p>Leadership
Treasurer of Relief Effort Club (elected at end of soph year)
National Youth Leadership Forum/Med Alumni (summer 2011)</p>

<p>AP Test Scores
AP World History - 5
AP Statistics - 4</p>

<p>Awards
High Honor Roll (4.0+)
3rd place at a regional invitational math contest
Also maybe getting AP Scholar and National Merit Commended Scholar, etc. after junior year is over. </p>

<p>In terms of recommendations for next year, I have some teachers in mind (my AP Lang and Honors Precalc teachers this year)</p>

<p>Anyone? I would really appreciate it :)</p>

<p>174 views and no replies...?
Bump!</p>

<p>I think you are a competitive candidate. Keep up the good work!</p>

<p>Your senior year seems really demanding though. I would take a class out or something because it seems like you don't even have lunch? (if your school goes by a 8 period system) I'm not sure how difficult it is in your school though.. so its just a personal opinion :)</p>

<p>Thank you! Lol I noticed it says "Northwestern '16" on your badge, so did you get in? If so, did you apply ED/EA?
Two of my classes (AP Macro and AP Government) are one semester each, so I have 7 periods of classes and a lunch.
Do you think my GPA is good enough? I know UChicago holistically reviews all parts of your app but it seems Northwestern is more focused towards your academic stats.</p>

<p>Yes, I applied for early decision!</p>

<p>And your GPA seems fine. A bit on the low side (UW), but mine is low too :P
I was surprised to be accepted at Northwestern actually because my stats ACT 32 and UW GPA 3.68 are pretty low compared to others. </p>

<p>I'd say Northwestern looks at your app in all aspects, not just grades. I'm surprised that you said Northwestern leans more towards stats because I know some people who had great stats that got wait-listed or rejected. I think they are big on demonstrated interest though. I'd recommend you visit or apply ED if Northwestern is your number one choice!</p>

<p>Did you have really exceptional ECs though? I guess having good extracurriculars makes up for the GPA and all. Were they somewhat similar to mine in terms of quantity or types of ECs?</p>

<p>I really didn't have "exceptional" ECs, but I showed passion for my most valued EC (violin lol) My ECs are pretty much your stereotypical asian ones :P</p>

<p>But yeah, it seems like they are about the same as yours!
I think applying ED really helps your chances if your on the border</p>

<p>How did you show that you're passionate about violin though?
Did you describe what honors and awards you've recieved for it and highlight your time commitment?</p>