On the road to Yale school of business: help on how to!

<p>I’m a sophmore this upcoming year. I know that I’m going to be attending a community college because of family and other financial problems.
I want to go to Yale for an MBA: how excatly does that work?
Should I transfer after two years into a bigger school, I live in Rochester so I was thinking U of R, naturally.
How many years are you suposed to do befre you enter the MBA program?</p>

<p>Most finish their 4 years of college and then work 3 to 5 years before entering an MBA program.</p>

<p>MBA programs will not be really strict about your college gpa. But it will help to transfer in to a
prestigious or well-known school because they do take in to account prestige of undergrad institution. Getting good internships during college, getting strong work experience after college, and developing your social skills will help. </p>

<p>A 4.0 and a perfect LSAT will get you in to Yale Law. MBA admissions go past the GMAT and gpa. Think about the way you are perceived by others and try to mold yourself in to someone that people respect and can confide in.</p>

<p>Yale SOM isn’t exactly Yale Law School…</p>

<p>^ Sorry, I never meant to say that Yale SOM is harder than Yale Law. It’s not. I meant to say that numbers are relatively deemphasized in top MBA program admissions.</p>

<p>You shouldn’t really be worrying about where you want to go for your MBA – you barely should be thinking seriously about what college you want to attend. A lot will change in the next 6 years, and you may decide that you don’t even want to get an MBA at all, or that you hate New Haven or the Northeast, or what have you.</p>

<p>MBA programs WILL care about your college GPA, I don’t know where that rumor came from. Of course, your work experiences and internships will be more important. Prestigious undergraduate school can help you, but it won’t hurt you to go to a lesser-known school (the University of Rochester will be fine).</p>

<p>But for right now, just get good grades and be involved in your high school. When you’re a junior start exploring your options (you assume that you’ll have to go to community college because of financial issues – but that might not be true, depending on your record. I went to a top 100 LAC on a full scholarship. Besides, I’m sure there’s a flagship university in your state that you could attend as well) for college. Keep doing well, and then get into college, and then enjoy! You can start thinking about your MBA options when you’re a junior in college.</p>

<p>^ Of course they’re going to care. But you can get by with a 3.6 whereas for a top law school(or HYP undergrad) you might need a 3.9</p>

<p>“Get by?” A 3.6 in college is relatively hard to get, since that would include mostly As, fewer Bs, and almost no or completely no Cs. You also don’t “need” a 3.9 for a top law school; students with lower GPAs get into top law schools pretty consistently. I think a 3.6 with near-perfect LSAT scores could get into a top law school. </p>

<p>In any event, the average first-year GPA at Yale SOM is a 3.5, with an average GMAT score of 718.</p>

<p>^ My point was a valid one. there’s no need to pointlessly try to contradict it. the 25th percentile at Yale Law is a 3.8 so I don’t see any unhooked white/asian students getting in with a 3.6</p>