one bad grade--

<p>daughter is a good student- has a 3.4 GPA UW but is terrble in Enslish- got her grades today and she made a 79(C) in English- she has 9 weeks to bring it up and most likely will end up with a mid B-I pray- if she doesn't do they look at individual grades or just the GPA when you apply- she is a junior</p>

<p>
[quote]
has a 3.4 GPA UW but is terrble in Enslish

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Hmmmm.....</p>

<p>Depends on the school. More selective colleges will look at both the GPA and the final grades for each semester (usually they don't look at mid-year grades unless they are reported on the transcript), and will be very focused on it if there is a signficant dip (as in she was getting A-/B+ then she started getting a C). If there is a good explanation like illness or some other major disruption, it's worth noting that in the application. If she's just lousy at English, well, not much you can do or say about that. </p>

<p>Basically, what you want is to either hold steady at a particular grade or else improve over time. You don't want dives in your transcript, especially during junior year. It won't neccessarily sink you, 3.4 is still a decent GPA and there can be other factors in play that make an applicant attractive to a college. Still, you'll want to bring that C up as much as possible and most importantly make sure it doesn't fall any lower. Also, any chance she'll do better on the CR or W section of the SAT? That can help balance out a low grade in a class by at least showing she has basic ability and understanding of writing.</p>

<p>A copy of the actual transcript is submitted. My kids' school shows only their semester grades on the transcript, not the grades each quarter. (That can vary from school to school; some may show quarter grades.) Admissions officers will see the courses the students have taken and the grades received in each course, as well as the overall GPA. If the school ranks, that information on class rank is part of the application as well.</p>

<p>Sorry for being direct but I'd be less concerned about the grade and more concerned about your daughter's facility in writing. I'm guessing that a student who struggles in English is not a candidate to write good essays, and good essays are what is needed to overcome shortcomings in applications. </p>

<p>The answer to your question above is that most schools will look at the grades in individual courses, especially the core courses.</p>

<p>I feel like a 3.4 implies an occasional C in a class that the student doesn't like or is especially hard. I don't think a single C is going to be an issue unless she suddenly decided that she wants to major in English.</p>

<p>Tell her you love her. She's hit a bump in the road and you expect her to work hard to get the cart back on the road -- but you love her and think she is a fantastic kid. </p>

<p>She needs to hear that right now. I am amazed at how the parental eye (including mine!) can skim over 5 A's and come to rest on the one C and then all conversation revolves around the C. Spend some time celebrating the other grades. Please.</p>

<p>uncalled for bigtrees</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm guessing that a student who struggles in English is not a candidate to write good essays, and good essays are what is needed to overcome shortcomings in applications.

[/quote]

A C in English doesn't necessarily mean that you're a bad writer. My writing skills are variable depending on the essay topic, and I can write a good essay if I like the topic. I can say that I <em>despised</em> the kind of writing I had to do in English class. OP's daughter might be the same way.</p>

<p>Of course schools will look at grades in individual classes. But one C or B- isn't the end of the world. </p>

<p>Plus there are lots of things in an application that also matter--test scores, essays, teacher's recommendations, etc. </p>

<p>People with 3.4 UW GPAs go to college. You don't have to worry about that. The trick is to pick your college list so that there are a couple of colleges that she likes on there that she could get into even if she does get a C in her English classes. They are called safeties and once you get those schools identified, you can reach for the stars.</p>

<p>Good luck...</p>

<p>Is this a 3rd quarter grade? </p>

<p>If so, it's not likely going to show on a transcript.</p>

<p>Transcripts usually show semester grades and/or year-end grades. I'm not saying that there aren't any schools that list quarter grades; I've just never seen one. </p>

<p>So, if this is a 3rd quarter grade, and your child's second semester grade will end up as a B, then the college may never see it if your school only shows semester and/or year-end grades.</p>

<p>Agree with ellemenope - S2 has received a number of acceptances, with a few C's (and even on F) on his transcript. It does depend on what school your D is targeting. Please make sure there are at least 2 safeties that she loves and you can afford. And, if writing is a struggle, allow lots of time for the essay writing, and find some people to critique / proof. (S2's "tough" English teacher was more than willing to review his key essays.)</p>

<p>If she ends up with a B- (quite possible, given the 79), many schools just count that as a B (or 3.0) anyway.</p>

<p>My kids also had some Cs & D even had lower grades & Ws on her transcript. Both were accepted into and matriculated at a U that is considered quite compeititve. S even got singificant merit aid.</p>

<p>S got Cs in English because his teachers didn't like his terse writing style (he'll never write long, creative things but does get things down concisely). They penalized him because he got 800s on his SAT writing so of course, he SHOULD be an excellent writer! :( He does have great vocabulary and does write coherently but doesn't waste any words and is very brief. So far as we can tell, it hasn't hampered him for EE (which is his field).</p>

<p>Most colleges look at both course grades and overall GPAs. However as others have pointed out, most high school transcripts only have semester or final grades, so if your daughters end of the year grade is better the C may not even show up. Junior year grades are the most important in the college admissions process, especially if you apply Early Action or Early Decision.</p>

<p>English teacher grading can being very subjective. I think colleges know that. If the English grades are good other years, she should be ok.</p>

<p>I tend to agree that the grade itself isn't the problem, but rather the problem comes if in fact your D lacks basic writing and reading comprehension skills. The thing is, a kid can be really bad at math, for example, and simply choose a major and career that doesn't require it. All majors and careers will require writing skills and reading comprehension, and every test for graduate school does as well. If she is truly struggling in these areas, she may benefit from tutoring.</p>

<p>thanks to all of you- she is a good student and should bring it up this 9 weeks- her writing was better on ACt from 1st time and I knew this grade wouldn't show up on transcript- she will do better and I love her to death for trying so hard!!</p>

<p>The grade came down b/c of a very bad grade(68) on a research paper- this child has NEVER gotten anything below a High B- she said she had all of her sources- another kid did not and made a 85 I think-she said DO NOT email teacher-I actually did just to find out why the grade had dropped so- it was on grades last 9 weeks but I missed it b/f they took them away-and i guess D didn't want me to know- I just want her to talk to her about it so she knows that she is concerned about the bad grade but she says NO- I don't think it is a good teacher-I am hoping she can just get out of that class with a mid B!! What woudl you do- just move on--- she made a 9 on the ACT writing so I know that she can write-and I am pretty sure the teacher has told her what she did wrong- maybe D doesn't want me to know</p>

<p>You let it go and let her deal with it. Good chance she is a bad teacher, but there's probably not much you can do about it.</p>

<p>A C in English definitely doesn't always correspond with poor writing skills. I am definitely a great writer, and always make high A's on in-class essays and the like, but I sometimes get very frustrated with English teachers. I refused to go through the standard writing process with some assignments, and so at times I would receive a 50 on a paper that deserved an A but lacked the requisite outline and 3 edited drafts. I am not a writer that makes many mistakes and I hate to make outlines as I can have an entire paper nearly written in my head before I take a pen to paper. I finally learned to go back and add intentional errors and reorder my paragraphs to make a first draft after I had completed the paper...</p>

<p>Oh, and a C will not ruin your chances at selective schools. I still was able to get into almost every highly selective school I applied to.</p>