One day to test... two tests to take...

<p>Should I retake my SAT or attempt a few subject tests on the October date? (I'm doing Questbridge, so I only get one chance.)</p>

<p>SAT: 2280 (740 M, 740 CR, 800 W)
ACT: 35
SAT II's: 750 Lit, 760 USH, 780 Bio</p>

<p>I'm planning to be a math major. And I'm currently studying Physics/Spanish on my own, so I'd be taking SAT II's in those three subjects. However, I've heard 2280 is a tad weak for HYP and the sort. My math skill is shown in other ways, 99+ averages in all math courses, self-studied Cal BC (score of 5), taking Cal III and Linear Algebra at local university senior year. Also, the day I took my SAT, I was pretty sick, so I'm confident I could raise my score 50 points. For the subject tests I'm taking, I'd estimate 750 on each one. Which would benefit my application more?</p>

<p>You have some great stats going there, Coyote.</p>

<p>Please, please hit the 'net, go to the admission website for every college to which you will apply and make your college spreadsheet to include application deadlines, early/rolling details, tests required, whether you must apply to a certain college within a university, etc. I think you will find that you are going to need a math SAT II, and specifically math 2. Maybe not...but it all depends on where you plan to apply....</p>

<p>None of them actually require that subject test.</p>

<p>True, but it sounds as if you're aiming for some pretty competitive places. While it certainly would be nice if you could raise your SAT scores a bit more, I think that, considering your potential major, you really should go for the subject test. It shows the colleges more about yourself-- especially if you do very well-- than a simple retake of the SATs. Greater breadth of material covered, and is another eyecatching part to your application, compared to an impressive SAT score and then... blankness (I know that's a bit overdramatic, considering you've already taken several subject tests.)</p>

<p>2280 is enough if you've got a hook.</p>

<p>A strong SAT II math score would be expected (but not required) for an intended math major. Unless you're confident you can improve to 2350+ on SAT I, take Math II & Phys instead.</p>

<p>OP, don't take this the wrong way, but I am scratching my head a little. You are going for math, you have awesome stats, you'll be a top Questbridge applicant...yet you're not applying to MIT or Cal Tech (deduced from your statement the schools to which you are applying don't require a math subject test)? </p>

<p>You should have an experienced GC guiding you through this process, including the instant question over test scores. If you don't, I suggest you network to find one. </p>

<p>As you can infer, I'm leaning toward the subject tests. In addition to confirming your math prowess, the physics will be important to validate your self-study. Ditto Spanish.</p>

<p>But I'm no expert. Someone who knows your entire picture, you college list and IS an expert might tell you to retake the SAT.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>I don't think the OP needs to retake the SAT. His or her ACT is 35. In 2009 (the last year for which statistics are available), only 3450 students had a composite of 35; only 638 had a 36. Even a 33 composite would have put the OP in the 99th percentile. Here's the source: <a href="http://www.act.org/news/data/09/pdf/National2009.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.act.org/news/data/09/pdf/National2009.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I have yet to find any evidence that admissions officers are lying when they say that they don't have a preference for the SAT over the ACT. The only information I have seen that the SAT is preferred is when posters say, "I have heard..." or "Everybody knows..." and sometimes even that information is based on old reports, before all schools accepted the ACT. If anyone does have evidence that the ACT (particularly a 35) would be ignored or even downplayed in these circumstances, please share it with all of us!</p>

<p>OP: if you want to major in math, I agree with other posters who suggested that you should really take the Math II subject test for colleges that require subject tests.</p>

<p>@ sobriquet36, Bak0rz, Schokolade
Thanks for the advice! I guess I'm leaning toward the subject tests now. I wasn't sure if I had already showed enough math aptitude, but I would like to validate my physics and spanish self-study.</p>

<p>@TXArtemis,
No, I'm not applying to MIT or CalTech. I am looking for a greater breadth of study and perspective than I believe those two can offer. No, I do not have any GC counseling me. At my high school, very few (maybe once every two years, on average) students attend anything in the top 25. And the ones that do are usually hooked by developmental, URM, or athlete. So I don't have access to much advice aside from the internet.
I appreciate the insight! Again, I think I'll go the way of subject tests.</p>

<p>Coyote, you have obviously well-researched and considered your options. I love the fact you know what you want. </p>

<p>Best wishes to you!</p>