ooooo how i hate admissions

<p>hey guys
i know many juniors/seniors are in the same boat as i am regarding college applications, and i need some help. I know that the admissions process is complicated, but based on these qualifications, what schools do you think i can get into?</p>

<p>SAT: 2150 single sitting (750 math, 760 writing, 640 cr)
SAT2: 790 Math2, 720 Bio-M
GPA (unweighted): 3.98
GPA (weighted): 4.55
APs: Calc AB (5), Calc BC (5), APUSH (5), English III (5), Chemistry (4), Computer Science A (4)
Senior Yr APs: physics, bio, stats, gov, english 4</p>

<p>Sports: competitive swimming (7yrs), varsity swimming (3 yrs), water polo (1yr)</p>

<p>Extracurriculars: Math Club (2 yrs), Student Ambassador (3yrs ), Interact Club (1yr)</p>

<p>Volunteer work: Sacred Heart (125 hrs), Second Harvest (25 hrs), Childrens Discovery Museum (50 hrs), 2 week immersion trip to El Salvador</p>

<p>Work Experience: Math Tutor for 2 summers, intern at biomedical company for 6 weeks</p>

<p>Thank you for all your help :)</p>

<p>There are thousands of schools that you could get into; it is impractical to list them all.</p>

<p>^Agreed. You seem like an above-average student, but then again so is everyone else on here. Maybe you should start by looking at specific programs your interested in and seeing which schools have prominent departments in those areas? Also, have you considered things like distance, cost, etc.?</p>

<p>You should probably retake the SAT in order to improve your CR score.</p>

<p>well these are the schools im applying to. please state if it is a reach or practical.</p>

<ol>
<li>ucla</li>
<li>cal</li>
<li>uc davis</li>
<li>ucsd</li>
<li>stanford</li>
<li>harvard</li>
<li>yale</li>
<li>john hopkins</li>
<li>brown</li>
</ol>

<p>i am hoping to become an opthalmologist so premed or biomed would be my undergrad</p>

<p>Johns Hopkins has a good premed program (JHU is known for a lot of work though, I think), and JHU isn't an ultra reach or anything. </p>

<p>Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are going to probably be rejections
the rest look possible</p>

<p>You must be a California resident. If so, why haven't you included Berkeley?</p>

<p>Do you have any friends or relatives you could ask about the premed experience (advising, course rigour, preparation for the mcat, competitiveness, extracurricular opportunities, research opportunities) at the California schools you've listed? That may help you differentiate between them. I know that for the most part, all of the east coast schools (* but John Hopkins I've heard is uber competitive and extremely rigourous, but it seems like you may be able to get in more likely than some of the others) will satisfy those reqs.</p>

<p>Also, based on the schools you've listed, it seems like things like distance and cost are not an issue for you; if they are, I would recommend having a chat with your parents first, if they are paying for school. Your academic record seems to be ok for these schools; however, you're SAT is comparitively low (at least for the ivies) and your extracurricular seem kind of sporadic (although what do I know). You'll want to communicate in your essays how your extracurriculars are significant and interrelated in regards to a common interest/passion. PS I mean this in the nicest way possible and only with the best intentions of helping you, but based off the schools you've listed, are you some kind of a prestige whore?</p>

<p>You have a good chance at all the schools you listed.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>haha dont worry about it. Truthfully, Im not sure but all i know is that ive been placed under a lot of pressure to succeed and have worked all my life to excel and have fun in whatever I do. I want a relaxed future and those are not really the schools im applying to.
Im interested to see what you guys think tho</p>

<p>also cal is uc berkely... sorry for the lack of clarity</p>

<p>Don't worry that much. I think you're a competitive applicant, but you have to make sure your essays are amazing. :) Essays can make or break an application. </p>

<p>People I had to review my essay (I asked them questions like, what do you learn about me? etc) - AP English teacher, parents, counselor, and a friend of mine who is an English major</p>

<p>@LAXBritt: "Cal" is Berkeley. </p>

<p>My school is in California and we have the IB program, but 3 students with what I think would be the equivalent IB stats got into Yale. It's still a reach, but don't give up! Although, they were all in the top 5% of the class (out of 100-ish), so your rank might matter as well. </p>

<p>I think you have a good chance, but as always all of the Ivies are reaches. For anyone.</p>

<p>regarding class rank, my school has around 432 student and I am definately in the top 25</p>

<p>Are you a California resident? If so, are you ELC? Stats look great, I would suggest a leadership role in extracurriculars.</p>

<p>I am a california resident but am not sure if i am part of elc or not... i remember being sent a letter saying that i was being considered but am not sure if the final results have been released</p>

<p>I think ELC letters come out in the next week or so... according to the lady who works in the counselor's office at my school.</p>

<p>But my friend said she got them in like August or Sept. last year.</p>

<p>^Really? I helped sort through the ELC letters in March/April for my school. Is it different depending on location?</p>

<p>i think there are 2 letters regarding elc. the first one in march/april is for acknowledgement that there is a possibility to be part of the program while the second that has not come out yet states the final results. i really hope i make it because it would be a big plus for my resume</p>

<p>If ELC letters came out in March or April, then how would you use your ELC number on UC applications?</p>

<p>If you're talking about March or April of your junior year, still no, because they need to look at you final junior year transcripts to make the decisions.</p>

<p>Also, maybe you're thinking about the transcript request form. At my school, the kids who were in the top whatever percent were given some papers we had to get signed. Those papers would allow the school to provide the UCs with our transcripts.</p>

<p>I hope I make it too... I'm like really close. If I'm not ELC, then I'm just one or two people behind... which sucks *****</p>

<p>hahaha, I don't really want to go to a UC anyway, I only want it for the ego boost. :D</p>