OOS CC > CCC > UCLA as Math/Econ Major

<p>Background: I am currently enrolled in an out of state community college and will transfer to SMC in the fall. I have 70 quarter credits (~46 semester) and plan to complete an additional 30 in fall and spring. Based on the information from SMC's IGETC documentation, I should be able to complete all major prerequisites and IGETC within two semesters. I have a 4.0 GPA with no P/NP classes and both Economics prereqs completed. I am finishing the third quarter of Calculus now, but will need to take Multivariable Calculus, Discrete Structures, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations at SMC.</p>

<p>My dilemma is the lack of available classes to complete math prerequisites. As a new student, my registration date has pushed me out to the 20th. One class I anticipated taking is now full, and I still cannot register for another week. The remaining classes are turning into a challenge to schedule since two of them are at the same time and another two are 10 minutes apart. So I would like opinions on a few hypotheticals...</p>

<p>Would I stand a better chance transferring with IGETC and one major prereq missing, or no IGETC and all prereqs completed? I understand the UCs strict nature regarding prerequisites, but many schools do not offer higher level classes like discrete structures (one of the reasons why I am transferring) so my impression reading other's accounts of transferring as Math/Econ majors is that there was some wiggle room.</p>

<p>Will it affect my chances if I only take one math class this semester and leave three for spring?</p>

<p>I have read about the difficulty of Nestler's classes. Since SMC does not allow +/-, how will one B affect transfer chances? Will this undermine my previous coursework?</p>

<p>Also, the Math/Econ major is not impacted if that in any way makes a difference.</p>

<p>Thanks you!</p>

<p>I'm not sure about Math/Econ, but in Engineering, your major classes come first. It might be the same way for Math/Econ, but don't quote me.</p>

<p>You cannot register for simultaneous classes, unfortunately, but you can register for the classes that are 10 minutes apart. Just let the instructor know that you have another class, ten minutes after the first class ends, in case the early class goes long and you have to leave.</p>

<p>Also, have some Cal States on the list as backups, in case UCLA doesn't work out.</p>

<p>As far as I know, UCLA doesn't care much about IGETC. But since the admission grade for Math/Econ is not high, I doubt missing just one pre-requisite will hurt your chance much.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>The General Catalog states "Transfer applicants to the Mathematics/Economics major with 90 or more units must complete as many of the following introductory courses as possible prior to admission to UCLA: two years of calculus for majors, one introduction to discrete structures course, one microeconomic theory course, one macroeconomics course, and one C++ programming course."</p>

<p>UCLA</a> General Catalog 2010-2011</p>

<p>Maybe IGETC might be the better way to go if it means I have to choose one over the other. I will take any math courses over the summer prior to transfer so I'm more concerned with transfer chances.</p>

<p>I'll also be applying to Cal, UVA, William and Mary, UMich, UCSD, and University of Washington, but UCLA is my first choice.</p>

<p>I was a UT student and transferred to CCC, and seeing that you already have 46 semester credit hours, you wont be able to be igetc certified. Reason being you have more than 50% of the classes taken OOS</p>

<p>I think your transfer chances are pretty high. I was accepted this year to Math/Econ with a lower GPA than the average admitted last year. At the end of Spring 2011 I would be missing 3 pre-requisites: Discrete Structures, C++ Programming, and Micro-Economic Theory. Micro-economic Theory is only offered at UCLA and for some reason SMC's C++ isn't articulated with UCLA's. The discrete structures I indicated that I would be taking at UCLA extension this summer. That being said, I think you're in good shape to be accepted for the major. I'm also in two of Dr. Nestler's classes this spring (Linear Algebra and Calculus III). His classes are definitely tough since he's extremely thorough with the material. With that said though, I feel like he's one of the best math teachers I've ever had throughout my academic career. He knows his math inside and out, has very well structured lectures, and offers time both after class and during his office hours to help any students that have questions. </p>

<p>If money is not an issue, definitely consider UCLA's extension courses if there's some courses you can't take. Also, check out West LA college too if the scheduling doesn't work out. It'll be a bit tougher this year since SMC currently plans to cut their Winter Intersession.</p>

<p>Just to add to my previous post, if you are like me (42 semester hours taken out of state) you will not have the option to transfer IGETC, instead you just have to pray they take you as is.</p>