Opinions on giving second chances

<p>What do you think about giving people or opportunities second chances?
For instance, would you give a friend/family member a second chance?
How about an ex? How many chances do you give someone you've dated?
Or an opportunity that sort of put you off?
I know it all depends on what the situation is and what not..so I guess, in what situation would you not consider giving any second chances? </p>

<p>Just curious. And bored.</p>

<p>I probably wouldn't rekindle things with an ex.</p>

<p>I also wouldn't give second chances if someone really wronged me or betrayed my trust regarding something incredibly confidential.</p>

<p>Trying again with an ex is something I will generally leave as an option. However, in the past it hasn't really worked out all that well. Friends, usually. It depends what they did, however. Family members, probably unless they did something ridiculous.</p>

<p>I guess I'm pretty forgiving, though of course it depends on the offense.</p>

<p>No one gets second chances because people don't change.</p>

<p>Well, it depends on what the second chance is after... And argument? Sure. An ex cheating on you? I'd advise against it. Becoming a skin head? Run.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I also wouldn't give second chances if someone really wronged me or betrayed my trust regarding something incredibly confidential.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>what if somebody betrayed your trust regarding something on collegeconfidential????</p>

<p>^^ lololol</p>

<p>so general consensus on really not giving an ex second chance huh? Why is that?
Especially if they cheat? What if it wasn't cheating or anything totally unhealthy? Just didn't work out? </p>

<p>And I agree with RioBravo on friends. I think I'd forgive my family pretty quick though.</p>

<p>@UAKid, I don't know.. I think people are pretty apt to change under certain circumstances. Maybe someone's base nature can't change, but just being more cautious of their thoughts/feelings and thus changing their actions somewhat?</p>

<p>I'd give 3/4 of my exes a second chance. It really does depend on how we broke up:</p>

<ol>
<li>I wasn't really ready for a boyfriend</li>
<li>We could never hang out enough since he lived 30 minutes away and neither one of us could drive. We didn't go to the same school, either.</li>
<li> This is the one I wouldn't date again. He gave me the worst date of my life & he's a supremely awkward guy.</li>
<li>Very complicated relationship and then he moved away. My first "true love."</li>
</ol>

<p>If I had another opportunity to be with any of those 3 guys, I'd only give them one more chance. After that it's just clearly not going to work out.</p>

<p>As far as friends and family - I'd give my friends 1-3 chances depending on what they've done. Family, ehh, you just have to put up with them.</p>

<p>Opportunities/experiences - I'll try most things once and I either like it or I don't. Occasionally I'll give a second chance to something I didn't like the first time and end up loving it (studying literature, canoeing, listening to the Shins, etc), but usually I just end up reminding myself why I didn't like it in the first place (eating pickled beets, attending church, playing soccer).</p>

<p>
[quote]
so general consensus on really not giving an ex second chance huh? Why is that?
Especially if they cheat? What if it wasn't cheating or anything totally unhealthy? Just didn't work out?

[/quote]

If it just didn't work out, and you still have the feelings, I'd say it's worth a shot. If they did something bad (like cheating or violence) to end it, then no. But an argument or lack of time or just drifting away, then I'd say yes, assuming you still feel the same way.</p>