Other Jane Austen films/videos.

<p>Well, we finished watching the 1972 BBC miniseries of "Emma" so that we could compare it to the 1996 Paltrow flick. </p>

<p>TheMom and I were both in agreement that the Paltrow version was better by a significant margin in terms of casting. The miniseries also felt excessively stagey.</p>

<p>We had a little party after my writer's workshop the other night and the subject came up in the course of discussing Austen. Never realized that almost all the group was pretty Austen-conversant and half the group recommended "Clueless," described as "Emma" meets "Beverly Hills 90210" as the best production of "Emma," even if somewhat transmogrified.</p>

<p>To come up for air from all the Austen, tonight we watched "The Full Monty" for the first time. I think "The Hunt for Red October" might make the schedule later this week. And then maybe back to "Sense & Sensibility."</p>

<p>just saw "an ideal husband" this weekend- I know not austen but wilde
Why isn't Rupert Everett in more flicks?
He is witty- he is wry- he is gorgeous!
I know he has steady work- but he should be in more-
( oh- just read- Madonna re-recorded American Pie on Everetts suggestion- he is being punished)</p>

<p>I didn't start tracking Rupert Everett until "Shakespeare in Love." He appears as Christopher Marlowe, uncredited because he wanted the role and without credit he didn't have to get paid the guild minimum. His exchange with Shakespeare in the pub, working through the plot of "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter", I mean, "Romeo & Juliet," is just a very nice miniature bit of business. If I could pick any role in the movie, that's the one I would have grabbed first.</p>

<p>Mayhap and perchance we should see "Ideal Husband" again. I'll agree on the witty and wry, EmeraldK, but he doesn't look gorgeous to <em>me</em>.</p>

<p>Rupert Everett is openly gay--thus limiting his role as the hearthrob he might otherwise be.....</p>

<p>
[quote]
Rupert Everett is openly gay--thus limiting his role as the hearthrob he might otherwise be.....

[/quote]

[quote]
I'll agree on the witty and wry, EmeraldK, but he doesn't look gorgeous to <em>me</em>.

[/quote]
Bunch of homophobes ;)</p>

<p>I admit after I posted the "gorgeous" part was exagerated- but he is attractive just not my type( I like scruffy bad boys more like Colin Farrell- although he is pushing the bad boy part a little too hard- or Johnny Depp but only with eyeliner)</p>

<p>I know Everett has been out for sometime- but in reading his bio on imbd- it sounds like he is pretty busy- just not necessarily doing things I would see ( Shrek- inspector gadget- the wild thornberrys)
Although I think I will rent midsummer nights dream again maybe to take up at xmas.
& he is quite the dog lover- he relocated to LA for his dogs arthritis and turned down a role on the london stage because his dog would have to be quarentined for 6 months.
I can totally relate-</p>

<p>Rupert Everett is here within a half hour drive of me? Cool...now if only I recognized people from film when I ran into them. I didn't even recognize Meryl Streep when I nearly stepped on her hand. Nor Ricardo Montalban when I shook his.</p>

<p>My H stood next to Katherine Hepburn while they were both ordering coffee beans at Dean and Deluca, Soho, circa 1982. He failed to notice that voice, that woman or the other apoplectic shoppers.</p>

<p>Saw Charles Durning walking down the street during a run of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" He was hard to miss...</p>

<p>TheDad, did Ricardo's hand feel like "rich Corintian leather"?</p>

<p>some men just aren't detail oriented
It can be hard to recognize people out of context but Katherine Hepburn?</p>

<p>m&sDad, re Ricardo Montalban, see, it was like this. We were at Mass for some lightly attended afternoon service...it may have been something like a 5:30pm Saturday service, must have been summer because it was still light when we got out. I happened to notice that the man seated in front of me had a <em>really</em> nice suit. This alone is cause for comment, as I'm about the most clothing-transparent person in the world, especially where men are concerned (though TheMom says I'm not much better about noticing what women are wearing). When he turned around for the exchange of the Peace, I noticed that he was good looking in a patrician sort of way that I wouldn't mind growing into (if I didn't already resemble Johnny Depp, that is) and I shook his hand.</p>

<p>Upon leaving church and heading for the car, TheMom said, "I'm really proud of you, dear." </p>

<p>"Umm...why?"</p>

<p>"Because you didn't make a big deal out of shaking hands with Ricardo Montalban. I kept thinking you were going to say something like 'Da plane! Da plane!' or something like that. </p>

<p>Now would I say something like that at Mass? Mmmm...don't be so quick in placing your bets. But I said, "Oh really?!" I was flubbergasted. And then TheMom added something like, "Or asking about his Cordoba and the rich Corinthian leather." </p>

<p>It was kinda deflating to recognize that I'd missed an opportunity for whatever improvisation could have been summoned. As Boss Tweed said, "I seen my opportunities and I took 'em." Can't do that if you don't see the opportunities, know what I mean?</p>

<p>Anyway, Corinthian leather brings us back to your question, which is where everyone came in.</p>

<p>I don't remember who it was- but some time ago somone on CC- was talking about a restaurant that they visited that was supposed to be "the place to go"( don't even remember if it was LA or NewYork)
anyway
the tables were fairly close together and glancing at the woman next to them- noted that she was "middle aged and motherly"- apparently not their idea of " a mover and a shaker"
However a few minutes later when her husband joined her, they realized that they were sitting next to Joanne Woodard.</p>

<p>See, and I have to ask, "Who's Joanne Woodard?" </p>

<p>On my first read I thought you'd written "Joanne Worley" and I thought, wow, how many people remember her.</p>

<p>*See, and I have to ask, "Who's Joanne Woodard?" *</p>

<p>are U serious?( well I misspelled her name- its wood*ward* )
She is an actress who met her husband ( Paul Newman- who may be more recognizable being as his face is plastered all over chocolate and cookie wrappers)when they were both understudies for a production of "Picnic" in the early 50's</p>

<p>Huh. If I had read "Woodward," I might have guessed a certain reporter's wife, wondering if she had some career of which I was completely in the dark. Nope, never heard of her. </p>

<p>My life is forfeit if it ever depends on a test based on PEOPLE magazine.</p>

<p>We watched the Emma Thompson "Sense & Sensibility" the other night...now <em>that</em> is a treat. My head likes P&P better but I always get teary-eyed at the end of this S&S. TheMom, a fairly deep Austenite, remarked that all of the changes from the text were improvements.</p>

<p>I saw this one in the theater when it first came out...D was about 10 and watched in rapt silence. The youngest (pre-teen) Dashwood sister, Margaret, as portrayed in the movie is surely a cousin of D's save for the curly hair. If D had been a theater/film kid instead of a ballet dancer, it would have been her kind of role.</p>

<p>I was by the old ballet studio picking up some tickets the other day and for some reason an Austen/P&P/S&S discussion erupted and one of the mom's was just looking on, jaw agape, as me, one of the other moms, and one of the teachers had an energetic discussion that zoomed around like a WW I dogfight.</p>

<p>TheDad - DD is home and tonight is THE night - we are off for the 2005 P&P lovefest - review to follow - the only fly in the Regency ointment (gads) is my 6'2" 110 lb, 14 year old son who has decided that 27 degrees is too cold for camping and he has to study for finals, so he will be home with us this weekend. He is on at least semi-probation for poor grades, so darn it, we have to take him along. This should be sufficient punishment for him - P&P with Mom and Sis. Come to think of it, his GF hinted that it would be a good date movie, he was horrified, I said she sounds like a girl after my own heart.</p>

<p>Looking forward to your comments, Cangel. If you agree, then wonderful. If you don't agree, differently wonderful...either way, the conversation progresses. Regarding your S, fwiw, I think a lot of guys have an aversion to Jane Austen without knowing much about it. Now my Dad was the kind of guy who rated movies by the ammunition budget and was mostly oblvious to things like, well, portrayal of character.</p>

<p>Cangel...and so?</p>