Out-of-state HELP

<p>I am from the state of Nebraska and would like to become a student at the University of Iowa. On the University website it says in order to qualify for in-state-tuition you have to be considered a part time student for your first year and have to also register for an Iowa license. Has anyone had any experience with this and how was the process? And as a part time student can you live in the dorms still?</p>


<p>All good questions. I have no experience with this, and details not always entirely clear from this FAQ (you have probably read it, but if not, I suggest you read it very carefully):
Residency</a> Tuition FAQs</p>

<h1>14 references the residence halls, but I could not find a definitive answer to your dorm question. Did not see anything disallowing residence halls while qualifying for residency.</h1>

<p>Bottom line, there are many subtleties (for example, you cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return while qualifying, need to register to vote, transfer vehicle registration, etc) -- you should meet with the Office of the Registrar (per their suggestion) to carefully check your plan, and call the Residence Hall office to confirm you can stay there as a part time student. Also, be aware that some dorms close during holidays.</p>

<p>Once you have verified your plan, I would confirm it with the Office of the Registrar in writing to make sure there are no surprises later. </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Read the fine print, as RWE suggests. I'd be astonished if 1) you can reside in dorms as part time student and 2) you can become a resident by studying (rather than working) to any meaningful degree. The rules are basically designed to prevent exactly what you're trying to do. In olden days you could attend school full-time, work the summer delivering pizza and PRESTO you're a resident. But no longer.</p>

<p>You cannot reside in the dorms with less than 12 hrs. and it is not an easy process. But if you are in now hurry to graduate and don't mind apartment living.. maybe it could work. It is very difficult to do this..</p>