Out of state students

<p>Is it harder for out of state students to be accepted? Also, about what would an out-of-state student need to get on the SAT? Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>It is harder for out of state students to be admitted, because UNC has to admit something like 70% of the students from NC. So that leaves something like 30% for out of state. After all those slots are filled up, people are rejected...I am applying to UNC out of state too. </p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>UNC only allows for 18% out of state, not 30%! So yes, it is a tough school to attend from out of state. Another tough school for out of state students is University of Texas in Austin; they only allow 5%!! Of course, Texas is a much larger school, so their 5% is still a lot of students.</p>

<p>Before I start, don't let some of the numbers I'm about to toss out scare you off. If you like the college, please apply to UNC-we need more out-of-staters, and the more that apply, the more pressure our legislature'll have to raise the quota :)</p>

<p>That said: UNC is mandated by state law to reserve 82% of its freshman class for in-state students. Carolina has a fairly strong reputation nationwide, so they get a lot of applicants from across the US and around the world--but they make up less than a fifth of the people the admissions office is enabled to admit. (The debate over whether UNC should allow more out-of-state students in has been ongoing for decades, but more people than ever are pressuring the state legislature to lower the quota to 80% or even 75%.)</p>

<p>In any given year, 11,000 high school seniors will apply for 650 spots, making the OOS admission rate about 5.9% (as compared to 37% for the freshman class as a whole). But then you have to remember the spots set aside for out-of-state scholarship athletes (about 100), as well as the seats that UNC attempts to reserve for their OOS legacy students (about 80; approximately 500 legacy students apply from out-of-state each year). Take these seats out, and you have 470 spots for 10,400 "undistinguished" applicants--ending up with an admissions rate of about 4.5%.</p>

<p>I remember talking to an admissions officer at a fair last summer who said that the average SAT for an admitted in-state applicant is 1280, while the average SAT for an out-of-state admission is 1380. This, also, I would assume includes athletes and legacies, so it'd probably be wiser to bump it up to 1400, 1420 if you have no such distinctions.</p>

<p><em>That said</em>, the applicant class to Carolina from out-of-state is probably not the same one that applies to Harvard, Caltech, Olin and Deep Springs. Very strong, and very competitive, but I'd probably equate getting in to UNC OOS to being comparable with a middle or lower (competitively, of course) Ivy. </p>

<p>But really, do come here.</p>

<p>The easiest way into UNC being OOS is transferring, where there are no quotas and all are judged equally. Including transfers, the overall OOS population is closer to 75% since many tranfers are OOS.</p>

<p>Because of quotas i think it's the hardest public to get into</p>

<p>there are tons of competitive out of staters applying because it's such a great deal... under $25,000 for out of state and a top school is incredible...</p>

<p>yeah but I think with high gpa, high class ranking, relatively high sat scores and tough courseload along with good ECs can pretty much get you in. . .at least that's the impression that I get. The applicant pool doesn't seem to be as high in quality as some other places. a few people got in last year from my school. One was the salutatorian at the time (ended up valedictorian) with a 1380 sat, the other was around a 1290 urm ranked around 6 or 7 in the senior class with incredible ECs and leadership (he also got into Yale).</p>