Overseas colleague in Chicago for one day?

<p>I will be meeting a young professional colleague in Chicago. She is from another country and a very different culture.</p>

<p>We have arranged a day and a night in Chicago with no professional obligations, because I think she will enjoy the city. I am thinking about the Art Institute, the Architecture Boat Tour, and/or shopping.....dinner at Le Colonial, perhaps. I will offer choices and hope that she will choose. Also, because she is well educated and interested in education, maybe she'd like to see UC or NWU. I really don't know.</p>

<p>What else shall I propose?</p>

<p>
[quote]
What else shall I propose?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>A nap.</p>

<p>If you actually go to the AI and do the architectural tour, you'll have the day spent. You could always go see a show at Steppenwolf or The Lookingglass Theater that night after dinner....</p>

<p>But, that's actually a lot to do.</p>

<p>Have fun. It's been hot this summer, and humid, just fyi.</p>

<p>Oh, I agree that maybe two choices would work.</p>

<p>I am not from Chicago, but will be meeting her there. So other choices/ideas are invited!</p>

<p>Go to Navy Pier and take a ride on the ferris wheel. It gives you a nice perspective of the city.</p>

<p>The Asian students that have lived with me always go to the John Hancock building to see the city from on high. A pilgrimage to the Cheesecake Factory is also a big deal for them, as is Michigan Ave. shopping. The new sculpture park on the lake, whose name escapes me right now is also popular. </p>

<p>Me? I'd do the same as you, architectural tour and Art Institute. But am just reporting what they seem to like.</p>

<p>Definitely go to the AIoC - one of the very best museums in the world.</p>

<p>If she's into architecture, go visit F.L. Wright's Robie House.</p>

<p>I enjoyed the Field Museum when I was there.</p>

<p>As always, you can go to the top of the Willis or Hancock Towers for an obvious first time tourist destination.</p>

<p>If this is in the fall - you can go see the Chicago Symphony, one of America's best orchestras at Orchestra Hall which is right across the street from the AIoC. If this is in the summer - I believe the orchestra holds a residency at Ravinia.</p>

<p>And don't leave without having visited Millennium Park!</p>

<p>I went on the ferris wheel at navy pier and the wind blew and I honestly thought I was going to die. I prefer the Willis Tower. I haven't gotten to go since they put in that glass overlook.</p>

<p>We were in Chicago last week. </p>

<p>The architecture tours are great, but some of them involve a lot of walking! They Architecture Society also has a great boat tour.</p>

<p>Have been to the top of both the John Hancock and Willis (I did "the ledge"!). Beautiful views.</p>

<p>Museum of Science and Industry is a terrific place, not just for kids. They currently have a "Green Home" built there which is amazing (additional ticket required). MSI is in Hyde Park and you can walk over to UC campus and also Robie House (we did).</p>

<p>Navy Pier and Millenium Park are both worth seeing.</p>

<p>If your friend likes to shop, Water Tower Place and Magnificent Mile (Michigan Ave).</p>

<p>Gosh, I want to go back and stay a month!</p>

<p>Granted it's not upscale dining, but how can anyone visit Chicago and NOT have pizza? I like Lou Malgnati with the butter crust!</p>

<p>citysegwaytours.com. They have a 2 or 3 hr tour. Fun, fun, fun. So far this summer my 50 yo brother/sisiter-in-law and 28 yo exchange student who was back for a visit with her fiance have done it. They can't wait to find a segway tour other places they vacation.</p>

<p>There are several boat tours for architecture. I think the best one is by the CAF I believe. 90 minutes and it does all three branches of the Chicago River. There are tours leaving every 30 min. This and the Art Institute are a whole day, then maybe a play after dinner. Billy Elloit is in town.</p>

<p>I agree that the Art Institute and the Architectural Boat Tour are #1 and #2 on any list of things to do in Chicago. I also think strolling by Millennium Park on the way to or from the Art Institute would be worthwhile -- always such a fun scene, and it takes no time at all to appreciate it.</p>

<p>Apart from that -- if there IS any "apart from that" time -- I would think the colleague's interests and preferences would dictate what to do. Navy Pier or the Magnificent Mile hold no interest for me, but some people love them. Ditto deep dish pizza -- as far as I am concerned, I could eat out every night in Chicago for a year and never get to the point where I wanted that.</p>

<p>Very helpful, all. Thank you. She will do the choosing; I just want to make sure that I am offering good choices. (She has already nixed shopping!)</p>

<p>the restaurant (Tezzo Piano ??) at the Art Institute is great - perhaps lunch there and then pizza for dinner</p>

<p>A full day allows you time to do the Art Institute, the CAF boat tour, and a bird's-eye view from either the John Hancock Building or the Willis (not sure I'll ever get used to saying that!) Tower, followed by dinner and an evening show (optional). If you're looking for theater I'd go with one of the very strong local companies rather than a touring show. After NYC, Chicago is the most important theater center in the U.S., known for original productions, often of new/original work, staged by high-quality professional directors, actors, and tech people that few cities can match. It's also known for its distinctively gritty, raw acting style. </p>

<p>Pure Chicago alternatives to straight theater: an improv comedy show at Second City, the venerable institution that has launched the comedic careers of a very large fraction of the nation's most successful comedians and comic actors. Or a blues club. Buddy Guy just re-opened his Legends club downtown and is booking top acts, a safe bet; but there are plenty of others to choose from, depending on how adventurous you're feeling.</p>

<p>I know that's packing in a lot, but the Art Institute, architectural boat tour and skyscraper are de rigeur. Add a nice dinner and a distinctively Chicago theater, improv, or blues show and you've given your guest about as much of the best of Chicago as can be had in one memorable day.</p>

<p>bclintonk- That is very much what I am thinking! But I'm planning something else for dinner after the sky scraper drink. I know that Chicago pizza is different, but our colleagues are always served pizza (not a particular favorite for many with dairy issues) whenever they are in the states. We'll see how her jet lag is after dinner and if she's up for a blues bar.</p>

<p>Blues bar sounds fun. Where will you have your skyscraper drink?</p>

<p>Personally, I'd be careful about theater or comedy i.e. Second City. The one time I went to SC I was truly offended at what I felt were bigoted jokes. Theater can be edgy too - not enough modesty, for example. Not knowing this person's home culture I thought I'd mention that.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Personally, I'd be careful about theater or comedy i.e. Second City. The one time I went to SC I was truly offended at what I felt were bigoted jokes.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>After 21 years in the area, I finally went to Second City about three weeks ago, with D1 (and a friend) and D2. Guess who was the ONE audience member selected during the show to participate in a skit on stage? Yep, me. i can't remember when was the last time I had so much fun... can say I finally made my stage debut at Second City. My daughters ate up every moment I was on stage and said I did great (said I great comedic timing). </p>

<p>BTW... I can't think of a comedy club that doesn't have the potential to offend someone in the audience.</p>

<p>I think that Second City would be difficult for someone with even minimally restricted English skills (my colleague is quite good, but her knowledge is academic and not idiomatic) or without cultural references.</p>

<p>[Terriwitt, last time I was at Second City it was with college freshman son. It was hilarious, but the references were often sexual. Imagine that! After the show I asked son if it had been awkward for him ( sex talk and mom 2 ft. away). He said, I completely forgot you were there!]</p>

<p>Treetopleaf, I think I recall that there is a bar at the top of the J Hancock building where we might go for that drink. Other thoughts?</p>

<p>When we visited the lines at Willis were long, I felt i had to rush once i got to the top. The Hancock tower was very relaxed and you can have a cup of coffee while you look at the city.</p>