Owner of the chimp in CT who mauled her neighbor last year dies

<p>Just as the victim, Charla Nash, was being released from the Cleveland Clinic after over a year of treatment, the owner of the chimp who mauled her, Sandy Herold, died of a ruptured aortic aneurism. [Owner</a> of chimp in mauling attack dies - TODAY](<a href=“http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37338191/ns/today/]Owner”>http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37338191/ns/today/)</p>

<p>Ms Nash is blind and has no face or hands, but will be attending her only daughter’s upcoming High School graduation. That is great to hear.</p>

<p>Sad news about her passing away. :(</p>

<p>But on another note, I’m glad the mom will be able to attend her daughter’s, Briana, graduation. I’ve known Briana since 7th grade and had a class with her this year and wish her always the best.</p>

<p>What a terrible, terrible thing that chimp attack was. No winners here at all, and lives just horribly wrenched. RIP to her. And the woman who was attacked is in my prayers.</p>

<p>Agreed- it is truly tragic all the way around. Apparently the owner of the chimp lost her husband and only child, and then her chimp, who she treated like a second child. The victim has sued the woman for $50M, and is considering suing the state of CT for $150M. She has had massive medical bills and despite her incredible resilience, still requires 100% attendant care (she commented on the Today show about being unable to feed herself). Hopefully with the death of the chimp owner and no immediate (direct) heirs (don’t know about parents/siblings), perhaps the suit can move forward against the estate. What a mess. So sad.</p>

<p>Writer1992-</p>

<p>Are you graduating with Briana?</p>

<p>I think the stress got to her. I always wonder how people move on after being responsible for a terrible tragedy. A few years back an area family was returning from Disneyworld. The dad fell asleep behind the wheel and he was the sole survivor of the resulting single car accident…I think he had a wife and 4 or 5 kids. I’ve wondered about him over the years…how does one keep living?</p>

<p>Yes, jym, I am graduating with Briana.
We’re not close but of course, since she’s always been in my classes and I know a lot of her friends, we’ve always known each other.</p>

<p>Why should the state pay for it? What did the state do wrong?</p>

<p>“Why should the state pay for it? What did the state do wrong?”</p>

<p>What did anybody do wrong here? This is a tragic story with only victims. Somebody must take care of Charla Nash. If not the state, then who?</p>

<p>My guess, what the state did wrong was to allow a person to have a chimp.</p>

<p>That’s the thought. The State had knowledge of the chimp – in fact Stamford Police knew him well. I believe there was a law on the books about large exotics that was either ignored or this particular animal was grandfathered in. </p>

<p>At any rate, it’s an enormous tragedy for all involved. I think there was something in the news about one of the responding officers suffering mental anguish (PTSD?) for having to shoot the chimp.</p>

<p>The state definitely needs to take care of Charla through a combination of mediaid/medicare/disbility, etc. Why sock the schoolchildren of Connecticut with a big expensive lawsuit?</p>

<p>It would be cheaper for all involved for the estate of Ms. Herold to simply be signed over to Ms. Nash, rather than engaging in a lawsuit.</p>

<p>Unless, of course, Ms. Nash is hoping to collect from Ms. Herold’s homeowner’s insurance/liability. That seems fairly open/shut. I’m surprised they haven’t paid out already.</p>

<p>Does anyone know of Ms. Herold had liability coverage on her homeowners insurance?</p>

<p>And yes, as netthreat and cnp55 said, the state’s liability is related to the regulations about having exotic animals, which I think has been changed since this happened? Here-- from the article linked in the OP

</p>