P2P software blocked?

<p>I read on ResNet's website that they terminate or suspend all accounts caught using P2P software (Kazaa, Limewire, etc.)</p>

<p>How serious is this, and how hard is it to get around it? It says they terminated 53 accounts last year, which seems entirely neglibible when looking at how many students probably use P2P software while on ResNet's service. What's the scoop on this?</p>

<p>My cousin at UCI told me that the only way to get around this is to change the port number or something like that. You should ask some of the current students and hear what they have to say or one of those computer science majors.</p>

<p>The only program I have found that works is DirectConnect. You cannot just change the port number.</p>

<p>are there any problems using/connecting to ftp servers?</p>

<p>The school using some packet shaping system that basically will throttle any P2P traffic down to nil.</p>

<p>I don't think ResNet will actively terminate P2P users (I don't know, since I don't use it), but they will make it difficult. And if you're caught, they can very easily shut off your internet access since they do control access through something (that you'll learn to hate) called Cisco Clean Access. Basically, whenever some new update comes out, they will kick you off the network until you install the update(s). And of course, those updates always come out when you need your computer the most.</p>

<p>Make sure you come to school with ALL of your Windows Updates. I mean ALL of them. Download every update you can find on Windows Update. Update, update, update! I cannot stress this enough. You must have every update installed, otherwise CCA will not let you go onto the internet. Get those updates now... Make sure you have SP2 installed if you're running Windows XP, since I remember seeing a lot of people who didn't have that installed and they could not login through the system. Mac users have it easy, they don't have any required software.</p>

<p>There are no problems connecting to FTP servers. In fact, it is preferable to download off of FTP servers over HTTP servers since the school also throttles HTTP traffic to about 1 mbps.</p>

<p>
[quote]
are there any problems using/connecting to ftp servers?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>FTP is legit.</p>

<p>Don't even come to UCSB with the mindset of trying to get around any systems in place to thwart your use of P2P programs. I won't debate you as to their illegality. If you do find a way to engage in this ethically questionable activity, either the RIAA will sue you, or the Office of Judicial Affairs at UCSB will suspend you. It is not worth it!</p>

<p>I can't answer it here, but you will find out through word of mouth when you start here. ;)</p>

<p>Torrents rule, and every uc i have been to has allowed p2p, or maybe not allowed, but it has always worked</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me if Allofmp3.com is allowed? Also, I am in a single room, and I have two computers and some game system, is there more than one ethernet port?</p>

<p>only one eth jack. get a hub.</p>

<p>Try going to <a href="http://g2p.org%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://g2p.org&lt;/a> for music downloads. D: It helps.</p>