Parents have a responsibility to show Penn State students to better way to respond

<p>As a parent I know that sometimes young people are confused as to how to respond to things when they are hurt. I believe this is what is happening at Penn State. Students are feeling utterly betrayed by what they thought Penn State stood for and what they love about the place. Suddenly Paterno doesn't seem like the loving grandpa to all of them and the administration of the school they love is toppling over. The students are scared and angry.</p>

<p>As parents, I think it is our role to help students sort through these feelings. I believe that students should be given motivation to show support for those who were truly hurt in all of this: the boys who were molested. I believe that students should find a way to show respect and support for those who were hurt.</p>

<p>If this comes to pass, I believe that the students can begin to put into proper perspective what has happened and begin to see the bigger picture.</p>

<p>I am calling for all parents and friends of Penn State students to encourage them to organize and come together for a candlelight vigil plus find a way to honor those who were hurt during the game on Saturday. The media will be watching (the whole country will be watching) to see how Penn State handles the game - It is extremely important to show compassion for the victims.</p>

<p>Let's help the Penn State students show who they are and have always been....compassionate people who care about others.</p>

<p>How exactly should parents respond? Were I a Penn State parent (and not merely the sister of an alumna), I would respond with horror. I would consider withdrawing my children, and I would certainly push the trustees to fire, no pension, no retirement, the officials involved. As a bystander, I would suggest that the NCAA better take a very close look at whether or not Penn State's football program should be sanctioned.</p>

<p>Ever since my child hit "send" on the application Sept 1, we have been eagerly waiting for notification of admission from Penn State. My child is still hoping to go there. Personally, I am not so sure it's the right thing anymore. I am suffering for the victims and condemn those who committed the crime and cover up .. but am also furious that this school has taken away from our h.s. seniors the excitement of applying to PSU and the potential joy of being accepted. That is inexcusable as well. These bast*rds have ruined it all for the young victims, current students and those who hoped to go in the future. A cynic might say that now, more spaces will open up since some students will decline admission. Not the way I want my child to gain admission to a college.</p>

<p>We were also waiting to hear from Penn State. Now I'm not so sure I want my daughter attending this school. Hopefully PSU takes this opportunity to make Penn State an even better University - a safer university.</p>

<p>In most threads, parents are told that their 18-yr-old away at college is now an "adult" and doesn't need any parental intervention. Some people claim that a high school senior is an "adult" and parents shouldn't even help with their application process, or seek to influence any decision they make about what classes to take, where to apply, or where to go. </p>

<p>Now suddenly parents--and friends, even!-- are somehow supposed to provide an example on a campus where they don't even live? </p>

<p>From what I've read, people ON CAMPUS are already organizing ways to show their support for the victims.</p>